W-S220 won't recover...
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rocat

Thread: W-S220 won't recover...

Confused W-S220 won't recover...

It went into what appears to be recover after perfect operation for just over a year and no excessive usage of the light; in fact no usage at all. Flashing of complete charge indicator zone, all buttons inop, still keeping good time and display still normal but stuck in time keeping mode. Several hours of sun have had no effect...Ideas?
    There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. John Ruskin

Casio Citizen Corso BM8452-99P

MTG-900DA-8V Omega-Vintage ('70s) G.F. Auto
    W-S220C-4
    MRW-S310H Elgin- German Silver PW-manufactured 1896
    GST-W310-1AER
    PAW-1100T-7V
    GW9400J-1JF
    AQ-S800WD-1EVCF
    W-S220
    AQ-S810W

Re: W-S220 won't recover...

Take it apart if you are comfortable doing so. Gently remove the module (be mindful of the alarm and solar connection springs) and see if the module will work outside of the case then re-seat it. That's normal behavior for a Casio Solar. I've had a WS-220 for years and it's never been anything but rock solid. By chance did water ever enter the case?

Other than removing the module, I'm at a loss. I'm sure others will chime in with suggestions. Good luck. If you are Stateside and the WS-220 needs to be replaced, it is pretty inexpensive.
    Motorcycle Man likes this.
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

Quote Originally Posted by Rocat View Post
    Take it apart if you are comfortable doing so. Gently remove the module (be mindful of the alarm and solar connection springs) and see if the module will work outside of the case then re-seat it. That's normal behavior for a Casio Solar. I've had a WS-220 for years and it's never been anything but rock solid. By chance did water ever enter the case?

Other than removing the module, I'm at a loss. I'm sure others will chime in with suggestions. Good luck. If you are Stateside and the WS-220 needs to be replaced, it is pretty inexpensive.
    No water ever...thanks for your input!...
    There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. John Ruskin

W-S220C-4
    GST-W310-1AER
    PAW-1100T-7V
    GW9400J-1JF
    AQ-S800WD-1EVCF
    W-S220
    AQ-S810W

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator G-Shock Forum

Maybe its a case of early battery failure.
    But you only know if you exchange the battery.

Another test to do if there is a software glitch in the watch:
    Reset the module with the AC contact in the module.
    You see no pictures in my post?
    Photobucket decided to lock my pics behind a 40$/month prescription service.
    I used their services since 2009 so the most of my old threads have Photobucket pics inside.
    If you stumble across one of those threads and want to see the pic, PM me and i will re-attach it.
    What can we learn from all the lost information?
    1. never trust cloud services
    2. always keep control of your data

Did the reset...got rid of flashing charge segment and display set to 12:00...still no functioning buttons...repeated reset and got blank screen, thought maybe it now needed a new charge...a week on my deck with plenty of sun...zip, zero, nada...
    Comments?

W-S220C-4
    GST-W310-1AER
    PAW-1100T-7V
    GW9400J-1JF
    AQ-S800WD-1EVCF
    W-S220
    AQ-S810W

Moderator G-Shock Forum

In order of probality:
    1. dead battery
    2. dead charging circuit in the module (equals dead watch)

:)

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycle Man View Post
    Did the reset...got rid of flashing charge segment and display set to 12:00...still no functioning buttons...repeated reset and got blank screen, thought maybe it now needed a new charge...a week on my deck with plenty of sun...zip, zero, nada...
    Comments?
    You see no pictures in my post?
    Photobucket decided to lock my pics behind a 40$/month prescription service.
    I used their services since 2009 so the most of my old threads have Photobucket pics inside.
    If you stumble across one of those threads and want to see the pic, PM me and i will re-attach it.
    What can we learn from all the lost information?
    1. never trust cloud services
    2. always keep control of your data

I realise that this is not the same watch, but the modules should share some similarities.

See the two gold coloured springs at the bottom of the module holder, underneath the lower LCD flexy connector?

Name:  P1100693.JPG
Views: 34
Size:  1.01 MB

Those feed power from the solar cells to the rechargeable CTL1616 accumulator. When I did the mod to the WS-200H, I must have let those fall out, and they are so tiny, that I did not notice. Until a few months later when the power level fell to M, and would not charge. How to test this? Leave the watch set to Power Save mode, and in the morning, after several hours in the dark, the display will be blanked out. When you then aim the watch towards the light, or shine a flashlight at it, if the display reactivates, all is well, if not, then now you know what it is that those darn springs do.

Having no way to find those actual springs, I improvised by cutting a springbar in half, and extracting the springs within. It worked, and it took over a week to charge up the watch to H.

Not similar to what I saw...probably will not put in another battery since I didn't like the negative display that much...Oh well.....

W-S220C-4
    GST-W310-1AER
    PAW-1100T-7V
    GW9400J-1JF
    AQ-S800WD-1EVCF
    W-S220
    AQ-S810W

Thread Information