WalMart and G-Shocks
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: WalMart and G-Shocks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WalMart and G-Shocks

Anyone buy there DW 5600E at WalMart and not get a proper box, I have to go back and ask again for one.
    The salesperson said they didn't come with a box. Should I have gotten a box?

Re: WalMart and G-Shocks

Most large department stores think they're doing a good job if they can keep the watch and the manual together.

Seriously.

Unlike online stores, department stores (think that they) have to take the watches out of their packaging and put them on display in their illuminated glass cases, and there is only a finite amount of space underneath those cases to store boxes, tins, manuals, spare watch stands, more watches, paper towels and Windex to clean those glass cases, price tags, price guns, extra batteries, and the occasional battery crossreference book. A lot of (what they think is) extraneous crap like extra hang tags, or the little plastic bags the watches are shipped in, get thrown away.

Most people who aren't G-Shock collectors want the watch, not the packaging, unless the watch is a gift. Even if it IS a gift, unless the recipient is a G-Shock collector, it's not that critical for most people that they get the RIGHT box as long as they get A box.

If people want all of their Casio packaging, the best thing to do is to buy the watch online. If you want to take advantage of Walmart's great prices, order it from Walmart.com, have it shipped to the store for free, and nobody will have any reason to take it out of the original packaging -- and they'll usually put it inside another cardboard box to ship it to the store!

That salesperson's BS! They keep either the standard Casio and/or G-shock boxes (see below) folded inside a drawer in their watch counter. Just ask the person at the watch / jewelry counter nicely, they should give you one of those.

Name:  gshockstdpackaging.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  50.1 KBName:  casiostdpackaging.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  42.4 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

yes, you should ask for a box, specially at Walmart where we expect professional services at its highest standard

that box is gonna keep your Gshock safe from damaging when you are not wearing it, among other useful thing such as a speaker stand, cereal holder ...etc

seriously ???

Kohls is the same way, lol. I always have to "help" the employee find the box and manual! I explained during my last purchase, as she was very confused looking at all her empty boxes, that the model number on the back plate would be on the white tag on the box. I knew my model number without even looking at the watch and recited it as she kept looking at the boxes. She found it, and said to me " Wow, we should have you on staff in charge of the G-Shocks!" Ummm, yeah, that is an understatement mam. We G collectors know our stuff!
    gschocky, domoon and yankeexpress like this.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

It's quite sad actually. People sell products they know nothing about.

Went back to Wal Mart this morning and got a blue and white box. it may not be a G-Shock but it's Casio.

Quote Originally Posted by elavate7 View Post
    It's quite sad actually. People sell products they know nothing about.
    It's been that way for 20+ years, and it's not going to get any better unless we can get away from the corporate bean-counting, "maximize value for our shareholders!" mentality.

If the store even HAS a person who works exclusively at the jewelry counter -- which is unlikely these days -- they're not going to learn and memorize all of the various bits of information we hobbyists take for granted when they're only making nine dollars an hour.

Hobbyists who DO know all of this information are unlikely to go work at a retail store for nine bucks an hour, either -- and even if they do it's unlikely that a new employee would get a relatively cushy job (with no heavy lifting!) working with expensive and easily-pocket-able merchandise.

WE know that having a salesperson behind that counter who was well-educated in how their products work would almost surely lead to increased sales and/or fewer returned items, but the stores aren't willing to pay the extra money that they would probably EASILY recoup in sales.

tl;dr: Amazon and other internet shopping sources are probably not the only thing that have been hurting brick-and-mortar stores.

Here's a great (but lengthy) article about the "shareholder first" strategy and how it might finally be coming to an end: When Shareholder Capitalism Came to Town
    ElectricDan and r00t61 like this.

Well, we bargain hunting consumers are partly to blame. Tell me who doesn't prefer lower prices online, instead of paying higher in store? Tell me how often do you go to the store just to scout out products you want, probably trying them on physically, then just come back home and order them online? I know I am guilty of that. Decrease in profit, lead to the stores to hire less qualified employees or just lesser numbers of employees. Also those who are more qualified and more educated to know the products, often working as a retail clerk is just a transition job for something higher, like management or other career choices. So often they don't stay put for long. Often time their replacements will not be as experienced.

So far I've been lucky, most of times the watch salesperson's been knowledgeable enough, such as knew about Casio module numbers. There was one time, the salesperson actually asked me to explain to her about G-shocks, 'cause her son wanted one. So I was actually selling it back to her. LOL Pretty funny. There was also a slight mixed up on manual and box to the actual watch, due to Macy's presale practice of storing all the customer purchased watches for pickup in a later day, but that was quickly addressed. All these occurred during last year's Christmas shopping. The lack of knowledge of the salesperson generally can be overlooked and forgiven, if the person's kind and polite to the customer, and willing to learn from the customer. The worst case is when the person's both ignorant and rude.

As back to the topic of the watch box. Yes, I agree it's just a flimsy little paper box and most people just toss it in trash once got the watch out. But if the customer wants a box, just give him the darn box! For a cheap Casio / G-shock the manual's already tuck inside the manual compartment under the plastic watch holder.
    Last edited by watch_geek2014; May 10th, 2015 at 12:35.

Quote Originally Posted by rmeron View Post
    Went back to Wal Mart this morning and got a blue and white box. it may not be a G-Shock but it's Casio.
    Curious as to what you will do with this box now.

Sent from HTC Nexus 9

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information