Want black tactical watch for SHTF, something totally analog to resist against EMPs?
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Want black tactical watch for SHTF, something totally analog to resist against EMPs?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Want black tactical watch for SHTF, something totally analog to resist against EMPs?

I'm new to watches so please bear with me :)

I want something as durable as possible, so G-Shock it is. But I also want to get a watch with some things in mind:

I would also like to get a watch that doesn't need batteries & has those gears in the back that move with your arm & charge the watch? Are there any G-shocks that have this?

I think I've seen some with solar though? But are there any pure analogs offered with solar?

Are analog watches inherently safer from EMP's compared to digital ones?

Are there any G-Shocks designed for this?

I was looking for a black military pure analog.

What are my options?

Re: Want black tactical watch for SHTF, something totally analog to resist against EMPs?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyscience View Post

Probably not. All G-Shocks are battery powered.

GW-3000

Last edited by yankeexpress; December 17th, 2013 at 03:05.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account:

Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

Re: Want black tactical watch for SHTF, something totally analog to resist against EMPs?

Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account:

Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I would also like to get a watch that doesn't need batteries & has those gears in the back that move with your arm & charge the watch? Are there any G-shocks that have this?
    The ones that are wound by the motion of your arm are known as automatics and there are no G-Shocks of that type. They aren't inherently tough and a sharp snap of the wrist could be enough to mess up the mechanism.

I have some mechanical Soviet era Russian watches with the anti-magnetic feature that were made for just that purpose, the event of nuclear war, that have a little metal plate inside that covers the movement and serves that purpose somehow. They are nowhere near as tough as a G-Shock though.

If nukes atart dropping, or they set off an EMP over the country, your time is probably up anyway.
    nnbz and nigelw like this.

If there's going to be large scale EMP discharges, the watch wearer is probably not going to make it due to the eventual fallout. I think a watch piece will be the last thing to worry about.

Try mechanical divers. There's plenty in the Seiko/Citizen forums.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Suunto Core Sahara | Suunto Vector HR | Seiko SCC017 Solar Diver | Casio GW5000 (sold) | Casio Pathfinder PRW3000 (sold) | Suunto Elementum Terra (sold) | Ocean7 LM7 SS (sold) | Citizen Aqualand Classic II (sold) | Seiko 6309-7040 (sold) | Seiko 6105-8110 (sold) | Casio PAW-1500T (sold) | G-shock GW6900 (sold) |

Everybody has been correct so far, but here's a slightly more detailed breakdown:

As already stated, no, those self-winding watches feature "automatic" mechanisms, but ALL G-Shocks are battery-powered (including the "solar" powered ones where light recharges a rechargeable battery.)

I think I've seen some with solar though? But are there any pure analogs offered with solar?
    There ARE solar G's that are all or mostly analog, but they're not going to survive an EMP because they're still battery-powered.

No, they're no safer whatsoever. EMPs damage electronics, so they'll damage both battery-powered analogs and battery-powered digital watches equally. Only a non-battery powered, spring-winding wristwatch will survive an EMP, whether it's a self-winding automatic or the sort you have to wind yourself every day or so.

What are my options?
    I see three "best case scenarios":

1) Pick a G-Shock that you like and just accept that it won't survive an EMP,

2) Find a black, tactical-looking automatic and realize that they're inherently a lot more fragile than a G-Shock,

3) Look around the Dive watches and Pilots' & Military watches sub-forums and look around for a heavy-duty, non-battery powered, non-automatic analog watch. As you do so, you'll see that most current military personnel have gone with option #1.
    nnbz, nigelw, James142 and 2 others like this.

Here's a shot of the Soviet era Raketa 2610 movement with the anti-magnetic feature. I have one like it but borrowed this image:

The little plate with the dimple in the middle fits over the movement and provides the anti-magnetic feature. The top two pieces are the caseback and the ring used to tighten it down.

Vostok Amphibia that have an anti-magnetic feature use a similar setup, but not all have that feature.

Lots of good info in here, thanks guys.

I do really like that GW-3000, but seems the price point is $325+? I found one with a blue dial, GW-3000BD that was just awesome looking & seems to be a new release? I wanted an all black watch but the blue dial contrast is super sharp with the black.

Since both analog & digital would be toast, I'm not opposed to having a hybrid setup with a digital stop watch (Chronograph) or something then. But I don't want to get a watch and pay extra for things I would never use. I don't know if I need things like barometers or altimeters. What else is a common addition to G-Shocks?

There are obviously a ton of options available on these watches & it's a bit over-whelming. I'd really like to keep my price point around $100 - $200 and closer to $100 if possible. I don't need stuff like 44 world times, or the stuff related to flying etc (even though the Aviation line looks like one of the nicest. But I would just NEVER use some things & there's no sense in having them.

I would like sapphire glass, are any G-shocks that aren't $700+ made with them?

How long do the batteries in the solar recharger last?

I'd like a really nice backlight, I see this can really vary a lot and not all backlights or lights in general are great.

If I had the cash I would probably get this one, I love the super sharp blue numbering/lettering. - is there anything thing like this in my price range as far as coloring etc?

CASIO G-SHOCK SKY COCKPIT MULTIBAND6 GW-A1100FC-1AJF

Casio G Shock Sky Cockpit Smart Access GW A1100FC 1AJF | eBay
    Last edited by johnnyscience; December 17th, 2013 at 09:00.

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Get a Seiko 5, watch found, problem solved.

cheers
    nnbz and Doug507 like this.
    We are 12.6 %

But I don't want to get a watch and pay extra for things I would never use. I don't know if I need things like barometers or altimeters. What else is a common addition to G-Shocks?
    The most common -- one might even say "standard" -- G-Shock features are probably: stopwatch, countdown timer, and an alarm. Newer models usually have several alarms, and may include a "snooze" feature.

There are obviously a ton of options available on these watches & it's a bit over-whelming. I'd really like to keep my price point around $100 - $200 and closer to $100 if possible. I don't need stuff like 44 world times, or the stuff related to flying etc (even though the Aviation line looks like one of the nicest. But I would just NEVER use some things & there's no sense in having them.
    If you haven't seen it already, check out this thread: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f43/sta...ck-850524.html

I would like sapphire glass, are any G-shocks that aren't $700+ made with them?
    Short answer: no.

Longer answer: you probably just THINK you want sapphire glass because sapphire is less reflective and because they're found on higher-end watches. Casio has made the decision to use mineral glass crystals in G-Shocks because they are stronger and less prone to breakage than sapphire crystals.

How long do the batteries in the solar recharger last?
    What exactly do you mean by "how long do they last?" Most of the newest solar G's mention in their manuals that they can go up to nine months in the dark, in power saving mode. If you're looking for "how much sunlight/daylight/light do they need to maintain their charge?" that varies slightly by model, but each model has a chart in the owner's manual. Manuals can be found at Timepieces(Watches) - Manuals - CASIO -- you'll need the four digit "module" number to access each manual. For the most part, though, 5 minutes of direct sunlight or a couple of hours a month is enough to keep them on "High." About half of my solars can go the entire late fall through early spring without direct sunlight and without dropping to "Medium," the others that DO drop to Medium bounce back if I put them out for a few hours in the February sun.

If you mean "how often do we need to replace the batteries?" nobody seems to know for certain! The first generation solar Casios were expected to last about ten years before they needed to be replaced, but apparently there were problems with some of those batteries from the (battery) factory. A lot of the early solar models had batteries die in just a few years, and owners had to install new ones.

Since they didn't live up to expectations, some changes were made, and the new ones are expected to last even longer. Since that second "wave" of watches aren't ten years old yet, and the batteries haven't been dying with any regularity, the best estimates I've seen here are that the new ones should last anywhere from at least ten to (more likely) fifteen or twenty years.
    nnbz, OCDood and RResurreccion like this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information