Want To Buy A Vintage or Today Equivalent G-Shock Dw-5900C-1
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Want To Buy A Vintage or Today Equivalent G-Shock Dw-5900C-1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Want To Buy A Vintage or Today Equivalent G-Shock Dw-5900C-1

I would like to buy a vintage or today equivalent G-Shock.
    I am actually wearing a DW-5600e, and wll buy a GW-5000. Don't like the latest and modern models, I prefer the tastier old school models.
    I searched for an DW-5900C-1 on Amazon but didn't find it. Any idea where can I buy one? Can you suggest me a modern equivalent to this model, or even another model which keep the old school style and '80s flavour? Please, add a picture of the model you suggest, it cam be usefull for everyone on the forum and it will give a faster idea of how close your model matches the DW-5900C-1.

Thank you and have a great week (it's Monday, and we have to find the best way to reach Friday)!
    Name:  dw5900c-1.jpg
Views: 889
Size:  67.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Moderator G-Shock Forum

Re: Want To Buy A Vintage or Today Equivalent G-Shock Dw-5900C-1

for the LCD ana-digi style there are some new alternatives in the Casio Collection lineup:

The AE-1200:

The AE-2000 might also be OK, but i have no photo:
    CASIO Collection - Uhren - Produkte - CASIO
    nigelw likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dareius View Post
    I searched for an DW-5900C-1 on Amazon but didn't find it. Any idea where can I buy one? Can you suggest me a modern equivalent to this model, or even another model which keep the old school style and '80s flavour?
    If you really want a DW-5900, there are a few over on eBay, including one that's still "new in box!" However, most of them are missing bezels and you'd have to get an aftermarket replacement from Brazil.

On the other hand, if you REALLY want the "old school style and flavor," just find yourself a DW-6900 and remove the "light" button -- I'm not sure what was going on with the Casio engineers when they made some early G's without any sort of way to read them in the dark! (I was going to buy a DW-5900 a while back until I found out about THAT particular shortcoming with that model. )
    Crater, nigelw and MCZK like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You can still find DW-5900 on ebay, like Mike K said... In diffrent conditions of course. Just last week or week before that I saw one, close to mint, for around $70.

With some luck and patience you can find good example

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    If you really want a DW-5900, there are a few over on eBay, including one that's still "new in box!" However, most of them are missing bezels and you'd have to get an aftermarket replacement from Brazil.

On the other hand, if you REALLY want the "old school style and flavor," just find yourself a DW-6900 and remove the "light" button -- I'm not sure what was going on with the Casio engineers when they made some early G's without any sort of way to read them in the dark! (I was going to buy a DW-5900 a while back until I found out about THAT particular shortcoming with that model. )
    DW5900 doesn't have a light?! Tell me, when does the the DW6900 has been produced? How many years does it has?
    And what about the GW6900? Is it available in a classic matt black? Don't like the glossy and coloured variants.
    DW6900 is not bad at all, isn't it? Hope it is in production since at least 15 years, because vintage is a plus!

DW5900 doesn't have a light?! Tell me, when does the the DW6900 has been produced? How many years does it has?
    According to this thread and a few others, there's no light on the DW-5900, which was a deal-breaker for me: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/dw-...-a-723642.html

They have been making the DW-6900 since 1995, which means they've been making it for 19 years, according to List of Every G-Shock Model - G-Shock Wiki | casio watch resources (a great resource, IMHO!)

Name:  DW6900-1.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  18.1 KB

And what about the GW6900? Is it available in a classic matt black?
    The GW-6900-1 IS classic matte black, and first came out in 2009 -- but it's the updated, solar/atomic version of the DW-6900. At a glance, most non-G-Shock people won't be able to tell the difference. (They also make a solar non-atomic version, the G-6900, that also looks almost identical.)

Name:  GW6900-1.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  24.4 KB

DW6900 is not bad at all, isn't it? Hope it is in production since at least 15 years, because vintage is a plus!
    It's not bad at all, which is why Casio has probably produced more "collab versions" of that model than any other G-Shock! It's also probably one of Casio's most recognized G-Shocks, which explains why they made an updated solar/atomic version with the same style face. (They make a LOT of solar/atomics with the same basic features -- did they really need a "three-eyed" version?)
    Last edited by Mike K; March 4th, 2014 at 02:33.
    Dareius, nigelw and Chrisek like this.

I think the dw6900-1 has DNA from the 5900 and other non G Tri Graph models from the 80s & 90s. The pink and blue shaded eyes and red lettering on the bezel, the old style shock resistant writing on the caseback is even back on the newer dw6900s. Its definitely among the old school of current Gs.

As soon as I saw your post, I thought of the DW-6900 and then the GW-6900.

I would recommend the GW-6900 since it gives you the latest technology while inheriting the same 3-eye look of the DW-6900 and the 1st 3-eye G-Shock - the 5900.

I have a DW-5900 and the analog clock dial is useless to me (hands are too small/thin to see). Also, yes, there is no light. At that time, if CASIO had chosen to include a light, it would've been one of the old micro-light bulbs which weren't all that effective on dials with multiple openings (which is why they probably decided to omit it.)

As I understand it, many people took to the DW-5900 back in the day because it had 5 alarms. If having 5 alarms is important to you, only the GW-6900 has 5 daily alarms.

If having that look is what you want, that's a popular desire, but having the new technology is really a big step up from the old DW-5900. With these Solar / Atomics, once you have them set up properly, you'll never need to push a button. Full Auto E.L. backlight and even the switch from Daylight Savings Time (Summer time) to Standard Time can be automatic.
    Dareius, nigelw and alexs12 like this.
    I almost never wear any watch other than a G-Shock. My collection is listed here-->http://watchshock.com/collection/1471/

Other watches: Invicta Sub-Aqua Venom 5733 & Coalition Forces 0225, Suunto Vector, Traser Mil-G Type 6 P6600 Celebration Edition, Luminox 3059.SAR and a few cheap Timex & Armitron

Thank you fwupow and Mike K. You gave me precious advices.
    I think will buy a GW6900, even if I don't like that blue dial. Isn't the watch available in black, like the DW6900's dial?
    @Mike K: the DW 6900 is in production since 1995, which perfectly fits my "vintage" criteria. Great news and happy to read that!

Inviato dal mio Nexus 5 utilizzando Tapatalk

I think will buy a GW6900, even if I don't like that blue dial. Isn't the watch available in black, like the DW6900's dial?
    It depends on what you mean by "dial."

The three little "eyes" on the GW-6900 are a light blue, two of three little "eyes" on the basic DW-6900-1V are blue and the third one is red. In the picture below, the circle in the middle has all 5 LCD "pie wedges" filled in so it appears black:

Name:  pic 2 dw-6900-1vct-a.jpg
Views: 1622
Size:  78.5 KB

The part of the watch that has the three round holes and the rectangular square cutouts for the LCD behind it is what PacParts calls the dial, and it normally appears black -- on both the DW-6900-1V and the GW-6900-1 -- in most lighting.

Name:  dw-6900 dial.JPG
Views: 744
Size:  28.9 KB

On the GW-6900, in direct sunlight, this piece may appear a very dark purple-black, since that part is actually the solar panel that recharges the battery!
    Dareius and nigelw like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information