Warranty repair for Casio info?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Mike K

Thread: Warranty repair for Casio info?

Warranty repair for Casio info?

I called Casio today and told them about the new WVA-M640 watch I just received where the "B" button is not working. I was under the impression a defective watch would warrant them to pay for shipping both ways considering I am stuck with a broken watch. Also they are requiring a notorized letter saying I received the watch but don't have a receipt? I don't get what the notary is for and what that even proves? It would be like me going to a notary saying I saved $500 on my car insurance and getting that notarized. The watch was manufactured August 17, 2013 so it's not even 1 year old from when it was made never mind from when it was purchased. I would think right there, that should be enough for them to repair or replace this thing no question asked. What am I missing here? Since this was an eBay purchase I am wondering if that also has any negative effects on them honoring their own warranty.

Re: Warranty repair for Casio info?

Wow -- where to even begin?

Quote Originally Posted by tic-toc/g-shock View Post
    I was under the impression a defective watch would warrant them to pay for shipping both ways considering I am stuck with a broken watch.
    Definitely the wrong impression, since the Casio warranty page says "To obtain these warranty services, please take or send the product, postage paid, with a copy of your sales receipt or other proof of purchase that shows the date of purchase, to a CASIO Service Center or the store where purchased." Casio Support:Timepieces

They're willing to fix your watch if it's under warranty. Splitting the cost of postage (you pay for it to get to them, they pay for it to get back to you) seems reasonable -- were you expecting them to send you a pre-paid mailer?

Also they are requiring a notorized letter saying I received the watch but don't have a receipt? I don't get what the notary is for and what that even proves?
    It proves a) that you purchased the watch and b) WHEN you purchased it. You probably didn't get a little slip of paper in the package from the seller, but MY e-mail inbox is full of messages titled "Receipt for your PayPal payment to _______" -- just print out the one that corresponds to your purchase and you've got a receipt to send them. (You can also find the same information via the eBay and PayPal sites.)

The watch was manufactured August 17, 2013 so it's not even 1 year old from when it was made never mind from when it was purchased.
    The average guy on the street couldn't tell you the manufacture date of one of their watches. I'm guessing that you're getting the manufacture date from a batch number? Regardless, THEY can't tell the age of the watch over the phone so they'd like some sort of evidence that it's under warranty -- like a receipt.

I would think right there, that should be enough for them to repair or replace this thing no question asked. What am I missing here? Since this was an eBay purchase I am wondering if that also has any negative effects on them honoring their own warranty.
    Imagine how it sounds from THEIR end: "Hi, I've got a watch that stopped working. No, I don't have a receipt, but I've had it for less than a year, so it's under warranty, right? No, I can't prove when I got it, but...."

If they listened to everybody with that argument, they'd be doing warranty work on every other watch that left the Casio factory!

I've read somewhere that eBay is not a valid place to purchase a Casio watch and expect them to honor their warranty. I have heard some horror stories of them not honoring their own warranty from purchases made through Amazon, which may or may not have been through a 3rd party on Amazon.

Bottom line is if the watch is less than a year old from date of manufacture, and it is a build defect not caused by user wear and tear, it should be warrantied no questions asked.

And yes if a product is defective from the get go, I sort of would expect a pre-paid mailer or a return label (why should I be penalized for a defective product they should have caught with their QA department, before releasing it to their distributors for sale?) I have had situations for electronics where the manufacturer did just that, providing paid return shipping to and from them.
    Last edited by tic-toc/g-shock; January 29th, 2014 at 19:52.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've read somewhere that eBay is not a valid place to purchase a Casio watch and expect them to honor their warranty. I have heard some horror stories of them not honoring their own warranty from purchases made through Amazon, which may or may not have been through a 3rd party on Amazon.
    "I've read somewhere" and "I have heard some horror stories" aren't exactly great sources. Links would be much better.

I have personally had a watch that I bought on eBay repaired under warranty, with nothing but my PayPay receipt, and didn't have any problems. While mine wasn't a Casio, it was from another major manufacturer, and they didn't have any problems with my place of purchase.

Bottom line is if the watch is less than a year old from date of manufacture, and it is a build defect not caused by user wear and tear, it should be warrantied no questions asked.
    No questions except some sort of proof that you've had it for less than a year, which should be on the receipt, and which is clearly spelled out in their warranty! Again, just because you know that the watch itself is less than a year old, it's hard to prove that over the telephone.

And yes if a product is defective from the get go, I sort of would expect a pre-paid mailer or a return label (why should I be penalized for a defective product they should have caught with their QA department, before releasing it to their distributors for sale?) I have had situations for electronics where the manufacturer did just that, providing paid return shipping to and from them.
    In a perfect world, all of these manufacturers SHOULD provide postage both ways -- but it's the 21st century. With all the other fraudulent activities going on in the world, companies are trying to protect themselves, and I suspect that companies that are willing to pay shipping both ways are becoming a rarity these days. Why should the company be willing to pay shipping on something that might turn out to not be under warranty for a variety of reasons?

The warranty clearly spells out "it is recommended when sending the product for service that you package the product securely and send it insured, return receipt requested" -- which doesn't give any impression that they're going to pay the postage.

In any event, if you want your watch to be repaired under warranty, I've pointed out three different ways for you to provide Casio with some sort of "proof of purchase" so far: two through eBay, one via PayPal, and if you paid via credit card that should provide another electronic "paper trail."

If I were you, I'D be worried more about Casio noticing that you took the watch apart and tried to fix it yourself: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/new...ml#post7293670

I suspect you just want to vent about your defective watch, which is completely understandable, but you're certainly not the first WUS member to purchase a watch that turned out to be defective. Print yourself a receipt, put the box in the mail, and get it fixed so you can enjoy it!

I just noticed THIS from the other thread I quoted, too:

I haven't heard anything from the seller so hopefully I don't get screwed with a defective watch which is obviously not new the more I go over the watch there is obvious wear on both the band and clasp which wasn't by me. This sucks as it is a newer version of the WVA-430/470 but it has the important feature neither of those don't have. the COUNTDOWN TIMER, which for me is THE most important function that I use everyday, multiple times per day, for years!
    So you're NOT the "original purchaser" (who is the only person Casio's warranty covers) and the watch turns out to NOT BE new, but you want Casio to warranty their watch against whatever wear and tear the previous owner might have put it through, just because it's less than a year old?!

My new advice is to quit trying to commit warranty fraud and to take it up with the eBay seller, or file a complaint case through eBay and/or PayPal and get your money back that way.
    nigelw and Crater like this.

Warranty fraud? Are you kidding me Mike K? I bought this from a seller on eBay and they were selling it as new but mentioned the box may have some cosmetic damage. Maybe it was a display model or something, but it WAS sold to me as new. It sounds to me like you are just trying to be a ball buster for whatever reason. What's up with that? I've been a long standing member on here for years and my reputation is good. To suggest I am committing fraud is insulting and I would expect better than that from someone on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K
    No questions except some sort of proof that you've had it for less than a year, which should be on the receipt, and which is clearly spelled out in their warranty! Again, just because you know that the watch itself is less than a year old, it's hard to prove that over the telephone.
    I agree with what you are saying about supplying proof of purchase (and if eBay/Paypal receipts are sufficient, then I am good to go and that is the route I will take) but you still aren't following me here. If a watch was only 5-6 months old from the day of manufacture, (and yes I am knowledgeable enough to know how to read the batch code) don't you think an actual Casio employee will also know this, and this would be all they would need in order to service this under their warranty?

Last edited by tic-toc/g-shock; January 29th, 2014 at 22:25.

If a watch was only 5-6 months old from the day of manufacture, (and yes I am knowledgeable enough to know how to read the batch code) don't you think an actual Casio employee will also know this, and this would be all they would need in order to service this under their warranty?
    I don't know how this is handled internationally but in Germany the seller has to fullfill the warranty (if an item is defective from the start) - not the manufacturer - the warranty given by the manufacturer is a voluntary service and I guess they can put up rules for that in any way they choose to. You should really turn to the seller - especially when you think the watch was not really BNIB. Why should Casio fullfill the warranty when the watch was pre-used and the seller sold it to you as new?
    edit: opening the watch and trying to fix it yourself will void the warranty anyway.

cheers, Sedi
    Last edited by Sedi; January 29th, 2014 at 23:43.
    Cheers
    Sedi

Warranty fraud? Are you kidding me Mike K? I bought this from a seller on eBay and they were selling it as new but mentioned the box may have some cosmetic damage. Maybe it was a display model or something, but it WAS sold to me as new.
    And then YOU YOURSELF said that it wasn't new. I quoted you above on that one. NOW you say "maybe it was a display model," but that's the first I've seen that third option. Would you have even brought that up if I hadn't found and quoted the other thread, or would starting this new thread and switching back to "it's new" have made your so-called case stronger?

It sounds to me like you are just trying to be a ball buster for whatever reason. What's up with that? I've been a long standing member on here for years and my reputation is good. To suggest I am committing fraud is insulting and I would expect better than that from someone on here.
    Hey, YOU'RE the one who first said that the watch is "obviously not new the more I go over the watch there is obvious wear on both the band and clasp which wasn't by me."

If it's not new and you're not the first owner, then by the first paragraph of their warranty it's not covered. If you're trying to pass if off AS new and it's not, that's the very definition of warranty fraud. QED.

(As of your last post, NOW we have the gray area of "maybe it's a display model" which we didn't have before! If it IS a display model, then it IS technically "new," and it's not warranty fraud -- happy now? Again, though, your last post is the first we've heard of that!)

When you realized there was a problem with the "B" button, you decided to take it apart and try to fix it yourself, as a lot of us here would be tempted to do -- but we're not authorized repair centers (even if many people here can change batteries better than their repair centers.)

If you'd fixed it, that would be the end of it, but you didn't, and now you want to send a watch that you claimed wasn't new and that you opened back for warranty work!

How does Casio know that YOU didn't mess it up yourself, though? I'M sure that you didn't -- for the record, based on some of your other posts and some other posts I've seen about Casio's service centers, I would trust YOU more to work on one of my watches and do the work correctly!

Unfortunately, though, Casio probably assumes that most consumers are ham-handed oafs who own exactly ONE screwdriver and can't even be trusted to change batteries ourselves. (Seriously -- how many G-Shock manuals include instructions on battery changing procedure and the all-important "AC reset?" I haven't seen any myself.)

I agree with what you are saying about supplying proof of purchase (and if eBay/Paypal receipts are sufficient, then I am good to go and that is the route I will take) but you still aren't following me here. If a watch was only 5-6 months old from the day of manufacture, (and yes I am knowledgeable enough to know how to read the batch code) don't you think an actual Casio employee will also know this, and this would be all they would need in order to service this under their warranty?
    I'm following you just fine -- WE know how to look up the date of manufacture from Casio's batch code, but what small percentage of the general public would know to do that? Probably FAR LESS than 10%, which means that the customer service representative isn't used to hearing irrefutable proof of a watch's age over the phone.

Casio's employees should be able to tell the date of manufacture WHEN THEY SEE IT, so it SHOULD fall under warranty -- unless you count the "it's secondhand" or "someone other than an authorized repair center opened it up" -- but YOU CAN'T PROVE THAT OVER THE PHONE!

It sounds like you wanted to call them up and have them say "oh, sure, we'll cover it!" and send you a pre-paid mailer sight unseen -- which very few places do nowadays, especially on a sub-hundred dollar watch.

They PROBABLY said something like "mail it to us along with the receipt, and if it falls under the warranty guidelines we'll fix or replace it."

I really hope that you CAN get it fixed!

This thread has run its course - the warranty is void since the watch was opened and the seller should be the 1st to be contacted - not Casio.

THREAD CLOSED
    Cheers
    Sedi

Thread Information