Watch recommendation w/certain features

Thread: Watch recommendation w/certain features

Watch recommendation w/certain features

Hello, all, new member here. I've been fighting Casio's web site to try to find a watch with three little features, but I just can't find a good way to do it--and they make a *lot* of watches. I'd like: --Solar powered --Atomic time setting (US at the least) --Count Down timer The G-shock line is prefered--I'm a bit hard on jewelry and watches in particular--but I'm not stuck on it. Beyond these few features, I'm not very pickey. It might be nice to have the *minimun* additional features just so that I don't end up with a watch that can pilot a plane for me or plan a dive, etc. as those are things I'm very unlikely to ever need. :) Thanks, all!

Re: Watch recommendation w/certain features

Casio Men's G-Shock Mudman Solar Atomic Watch #GW9000A-1

Technical Specs
    * Multi-Band Atomic Timekeeping (US, UK, Germany, Japan)
    Receives time calibration radio signals which keep the displayed time accurate
    Auto receive function (6 times per day)
    Manual receive function
    Signal: US WWVB, UK MSF, Germany DCF77, Japan JJY40/JJY60
    Frequency: US 60kHz, UK 60kHz, Germany 77.5kHz, Japan 40/60kHz
    * Tough Solar Power
    * Shock Resistant
    * Mud Resistant
    * 200M Water Resistant
    * Auto EL Backlight with Afterglow
    * World Time
    29 times zones (48 cities), city code display, daylight saving on/off
    * 5 Daily Alarms (1 with snooze)
    * Countdown Timer
    Measuring unit: 1/10 second
    Countdown range: 1 minute to 60 minutes
    * 1/100 second stopwatch
    Measuring capacity: 999:59'59.99"
    Measuring modes: Elapsed time, split time, 1st-2nd place times
    * Hourly Time Signal
    * Button Tone Operation On/Off
    * Auto Calendar (pre-programmed until the year 2099)
    * 12/24 Hour Formats
    * Accuracy: +/-15 seconds per month (with no signal calibration)
    * Storage Battery: CTL1616
    * Battery Power Indicator
    * Power Saving Function
    Approx. battery life: 9 months on full charge (without further exposure to light)
    * Module 3050

Hi,
    well I think every atomic G-Shock has a countdown. However all the older multiband-5 models only have a 60 min countdown (the PRW-1300 has multiband-5 and a 24 hr countdown but it's no G-Shock). So if you need more than 60 min I suggest a multiband-6 model. If you want an all analogue watch I suggest the GW-2000:

if you want something tough I suggest the GW-9010 (mine's modded with a red bezel):

if you want something with almost everything there is take the GW-9200:

but my secret favorite and next on my "to-buy-list" is the white GW-M850 (which has the same features as the GW-9010):
    it isn't on the G-Shock homepage anymore only the black one:http://www.g-shock.eu/euro/lineup/gw-m850-1er/

Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Laughing Re: Watch recommendation w/certain features

Quote Originally Posted by Sedi View Post
    my secret favorite and next on my "to-buy-list" is the white GW-M850 (which has the same features as the GW-9010):
    it isn't on the G-Shock homepage anymore
    Greetings, Sedi
    Although Sedi has pointed out that the GW-M850 has the same module as the Mudman GW-9010 and can be had at a tad lower price, I would recommend getting the Mudman GW-9010 for the added coolness factor (well worth the small price difference).
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
    honi soit qui mal y pense
    http://forums.collectors.com/attachments//trozau_ani.gif
    gold - the barbarous relic!

Does anybody really know what time it is?
    Robert Lamm of the group Chicago, 1969

Quote Originally Posted by Sedi View Post
    Hi,
    well I think every atomic G-Shock has a countdown. However all the older multiband-5 models only have a 60 min countdown (the PRW-1300 has multiband-5 and a 24 hr countdown but it's no G-Shock). So if you need more than 60 min I suggest a multiband-6 model. If you want an all analogue watch I suggest the GW-2000:
    Maybe all of the multi-band atomics have that, but the single band MTG900DA-8V I was looking at doesn't. That's sort of surprising to me, but such is life. ;) Thank you all for your great advice. I'll try to see what of these I can find locally, though that Mudman looks quite sufficient. I don't need a long countdown as all I need it for is timing agitation for photographic negative development--I do my own black and white film at home. Yeah, I could probably use a kitchen timer for that, but, hey, we all like watches, right? ;)

Sedi, Macdaddy;
    You have one of these watches with the 3050 or 3061 modules, yes? If so, is there a way to have the count-down timer keep cycling? From reading the manual, it appears that it is a 'one shot' counter. Once it counts down, it beeps for 10 seconds and then resets to the start time and stops. Is that correct? If it can't be made to continue the countdown again automatically, then I might as well drop 'count down timer' from my features list. :( Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me. :)
    I apologize for my horrible formatting. I hadn't realized this forum defaulted to 'destroy formatting'. I hope this looks a bit better.
    Cheers!
    Last edited by willmore; April 19th, 2009 at 21:31. Reason: Horribly formatting and missing Macdaddy

Wilmore, I'm not sure what your asking but here is a link to the manual for the
    GW9000A-1 http://ftp.casio.co.jp/pub/world_man.../en/qw3050.pdf

And here is a good price on it http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UV0MJS

Wilmore, I would give your more info but I just ordered my GW-9000 and it should arrive Tues. But it appears that once the coundown timer finishes you can restart it to the original time or set a new time within or at 1 hour.

Quote Originally Posted by willmore View Post
    Sedi, Macdaddy;
    You have one of these watches with the 3050 or 3061 modules, yes? If so, is there a way to have the count-down timer keep cycling? From reading the manual, it appears that it is a 'one shot' counter. Once it counts down, it beeps for 10 seconds and then resets to the start time and stops. Is that correct?
    Yes - that's correct - there's no auto-repeat on the countdown for those models. I don't know if there even is an atomic G-Shock with an auto-repeat on the countdown (I think maybe the 'Silencer' has one - it's one of the coolest G-Shocks anyway but no longer in production so try searching ebay or Seiya: http://www.seiyajapan.com/product/G-...apan_Made.html ). If you need auto-repeat you'll probably be better off with a non-atomic like the G-7800 or even a basic DW-6900 or DW-5600 - the older models mostly have an auto-repeat function on the countdown.

Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

http://www.casio.com/products/Timepiece/G-Shock/

All of the AWG, GS, GWM, MTG models and most of the GW ones are atomic solar. The AW, DW, G and GL models lack either solar or atomic or both.

http://www.casio.com/products/Timepiece/Pathfinder/

All of the PAW/PRW Pathfinder/ProTrek models are also atomic solar, while the PAG and SPF are not (they at least lack the atomic sync).

I think all G-Shocks and Pathfinders/ProTreks have a countdown timer.

The Pathfinder/ProTrek models also have altimeter, barometer, termometer and compass. The only G-Shock that has those (but the compass) is the GW-9200.

Thread Information