Watch stored in the dark - won't "wake up."
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Watch stored in the dark - won't "wake up."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Watch stored in the dark - won't "wake up."

I have a PAW 1200 Pathfinder - module 3043. It is 15-ish years old.

I don't use it much, and it was running fine three months ago. Then I stored it in the dark for a while, and now it is dead. What is worse is that after leaving it in the light for several hours, it still won't wake up.

Does the battery/capacitor need to be replaced? Can that be done? Does it make sense in terms of cost? Can anyone do this, or does it need to go to Casio? I don't use this watch often, and probably wouldn't replace it for the price of a new equivalent, but if I can get it going again for a reasonable cost, I would.

Re: Watch stored in the dark - won't "wake up."

I'm always baffled at this all too common practice of solar watch owners to not only think of storing their solars in the darkness of a box or a drawer, but actually doing it. But, it still seems to happen with regularity, cause I keep reading about it.

Once you get a solar, be sure to never pack it up again and put it away. Always keep it unpacked in a not too dark, normal environment, exposed to ambient light. Y'know, like the kind of environment you spend most of your time in.

For a possible fix now, let the watch bask in unobstructed sunlight, most preferably on a southern exposure window sill for a couple of days. If no change after that, I'd prepare to send it to Casio for service, battery change or both. They typically won't discuss charges (though I think they do quote battery change charges online) until they've examined the watch. It's not going to be the cheapest deal, but, at least theoretically, it's the most direct and surefire way of getting the watch back to life again. Good luck!
    Last edited by AirWatch; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:55.

Thanks for the somewhat patronizing lecture about solar watches. A reminder not to do it wouldn't be out of place, but why not leave it at that?

I'll leave it in bright light and see if that helps.
    zack20cb and KiwiWomble like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Give it more time. There is very high likelihood of it's bouncing back to life.
    In case of no wake up sleeping beauty you can get CTL1616
    https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-CTL.../dp/B0080GQBTU
    Yes, don't store it in dark place. Direct sunlight is a best friend of dead solar Casio...

Battery can be replaced as in any other quartz there is nothing special about it. If you ever changed one it all same.
    So
    Name:  download (3).jpg
Views: 61
Size:  44.6 KB
    Last edited by Rocket1991; 4 Weeks Ago at 16:12.
    zack20cb and WES51 like this.
    It should be special!

CC

Might take a few days to activate the battery, several hours is not long enough to pronounce it dead.

As for the above comment, Casio manufacture these watches then place them in a dark box to be stored for a while before finding a new owner. Maybe years.

Mine are kept in a dark safe. They are charged every few months, never in direct sunlight.
    zack20cb and Drunken_Munki like this.

1. For reasons unknown to me capacitors in solar watches become irreversibly damaged when fully discharged or subject to many power draw-recharge cycles.

2. There are are least two different types of capacitors based on chemistry used.
    Casio uses that ones more prone to death.

3. The fix.
    - Try bright sun for a a few days. Else
    - Replace the capacitor. This should be as easy as replacing a regular watch battery. It should even look like a regular battery. But it has to be precisely the capacitor your watch uses.
    mich.g.pan likes this.

Had a similar problem with an even older Junghans a couple of years ago. Left it under a light overnight and it woke up and worked fine. Good luck.

It's not capacitor.
    Capacitor can kick in in 15-20 min under the sun.
    Rechargeable battery can't.
    It should be special!

Quote Originally Posted by jhe888 View Post
    I have a PAW 1200 Pathfinder - module 3043. It is 15-ish years old.

I don't use it much, and it was running fine three months ago. Then I stored it in the dark for a while, and now it is dead. What is worse is that after leaving it in the light for several hours, it still won't wake up.

Does the battery/capacitor need to be replaced? Can that be done? Does it make sense in terms of cost? Can anyone do this, or does it need to go to Casio? I don't use this watch often, and probably wouldn't replace it for the price of a new equivalent, but if I can get it going again for a reasonable cost, I would.
    jhe888,
    Leave the watch in direct sunlight for at least a week. To dissipate the heat you can place it in a glass of water. It is best to let it sunbathe for at least 5-7 days. This, more often than not, will revive your watch. We have members here who have Casio Solar watches going on 20+ years on the original battery. Yes, it is best not to store the watch in a drawer or somewhere dark. But no harm no foul. It should come back to life. It will register on the lcd that the watch battery is at "High" fairly quickly but that is misleading. Give it the time it needs to fully charge up the battery. BTW, a PAW-1200 is a great watch.

If a new rechargeable battery is needed, the CTL1616 is fairly affordable battery and it is replaced just like any other battery. If you do the replacement then be sure to do the AC reset. Also make sure you do not over tighten the screws as the threads are in the resin/plastic case. If you over tighten them they will strip and you will be left with no way to secure the case back to the watch head.

Go ahead and give it a go with the watch in a glass jar of water for a week. You've got nothing to loose.

Oh forgot to ask if you are in the Northern or Southern Hemisphere. If you are down under, then it may take a bit longer outside due to the lower sun and the shorter days with winter coming on.
    Last edited by Rocat; 4 Weeks Ago at 23:30.
    Rocket1991 likes this.
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

This battery is often called capacitor because it can discharge instantly when short circuited.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information