Watcoholic Intoxication!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Watch_Geekmaster

Thread: Watcoholic Intoxication!

Wink Watcoholic Intoxication!

I have a confession to make. I found myself spending way too much time looking at watches, when I should be doing something else. Bought a few too, not for myself, as gifts for others. But that's really an excuse to take advantage of this holiday season, so I can physically sample them, before giving. Mwahahaha...

I think I will need a rehab soon, LOL.
    Last edited by watch_geek2014; December 5th, 2014 at 01:16.

Re: Watcoholic Intoxication!

With ya there!!!!
    Current collection:
    Ever changing!

too many sales, luckily not too many releases i am looking forward to ;)
    -Coi- instagram @kandyredcoi / Facebook

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I said, I bought a few as gifts in post 1. Here's gift giving No. 1.

Watch: LA20WH-1A
    Name:  LA20WH.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  8.1 KB
    For: Nephew, same guy that drained my GW330A battery. (Detail here: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/int...d-1116242.html )
    Result: Accepted. He likes it!

It's not an easy task to choose a watch for someone else, especially when you don't know a lot about their preference. For my 6 year old nephew, this is his first watch ever. The biggest challenge is that he has very skinny wrist. I've looked at the F108's, which come in pretty colors, but even that would be too big for him. I thought about Baby G, but I don't want him to be ridiculed in school for wearing an obviously girl's watch. Something like that could be traumatizing for a kid.

I've looked at the DB36-1av, which is not much bigger than the LA20, but pack full of features (30 page data bank, 24h stopwatch, 24h timer, 13 languages and 10 years battery). Unbelievable how much they can program into a tiny little package. However, with 6 buttons and so many modes, it's a little too much as an intro watch to a kid, who doesn't even fully know time / day / date yet. So i picked the LA20WH-1A, a tiny square with basic features. Yes, it's technically a lady's watch, but it has no obvious marking saying that it is. With black color, it looks bold enough for a young boy. It looks almost like a DW5600 shrunken in size.

There are some drawbacks for this tiny square. First the "crystal" is make of cheap plastic. It's so easy to be scratched, even rubbing my rough fingers against it is enough to put scratches on it! Secondly, the arrangement of functions for the buttons (3) is a little different from a typical 4 buttons G. Thirdly, it's only rated WR. So only good for splash of water, not submersion. But what should I expect from a tiny $10 watch? It's good enough to "test the water" for a kid who never had a watch before.

So I gave it to him today, and he likes it very much! That's the only thing that matters. Hope it will educate him about time. And... I realize, I probably just put the inception to a kid to become a future square G fan.

An update to gift giving #1 above, the kid already broke the watch band! He's wearing the watch no more. Oh well, good thing it's just cheap watch to test the water. Here are my gift giving #2 and #3.

Watch: BG169R-4
    Name:  BG169R-4.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  11.7 KB
    For: Niece #1
    Result: Accepted, but only tentatively. Have not seen her wearing it yet.

Watch: BGD501-2
    Name:  BGD501-2.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  11.3 KB
    For: Niece #2
    Result: Accepted, wearing it right away! This niece is college bound, so I guess the maturity helps to realize this is a good watch.

Like I said, it's not easy at all to give someone a watch. It's either a hit or a miss. It's actually a very personal thing for choosing a watch that fits one's taste. Especially harder for young kids these days, who don't care much about watches. As you can see 3 watches as gifts, 2 came back a failure. Oh well. Here are some comments about the BabyG's.

The BG169 actually has some pretty interesting features, which I have not seen in newer men's G-shocks, one being the telephone databank and the other being the day counter. Not sure who would still use a watch to store telephone numbers in this day and age with the popularity of cellphones, but nonetheless it's a pretty geeky DB watch feature in a BabyG. You can store up to 25 contacts/numbers. The day counters, 5 total, can be used to count down to a specific day. You can setup 5 different days and count down to them simultaneously. Not sure how much that would drain the watch battery, but I guess being counting the days only, not seconds like the count down timer, it wouldn't drain much. There seems to be no way to simply switch off the day counters. I've checked the entire manual, but only got instructions on how to set it up, but nothing on how to turn it off. Another interesting thing is each time you press the EL button, an animation will show, like a whale, a puffy fish or something like that moving around.

The BGD501-2 is actually a pretty rare find. I got lucky that I saw it the first store I checked out. And I have not seen it in other stores. Nice color combination for a girl / lady. It's very easy to set and to look at the time. It has EL too. Not as many features as the BG169, but nonetheless a classic BabyG. It does have a 24h timer, but only a 1h stopwatch, unlike the BG169 which has 24h timer & 24h stopwatch.
    Cobia likes this.

I consider it an investment . . . at least that is what I tell myself to make it seem like owning nearly 100 G-Shocks is totally normal.

Thread Information