Water found attracted under back plate and bottons: Design flaw of GX56 Kings and Mudman series?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Water found attracted under back plate and bottons: Design flaw of GX56 Kings and Mudman series?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Water found attracted under back plate and bottons: Design flaw of GX56 Kings and Mudman series?

With the mudman series watches, including the GX56 Kings, they have a resin plate attached to the back, see the pictures below:
    Name:  5068653302_428c9043e0_b.jpg
Views: 4511
Size:  245.7 KB
    Name:  5068043917_75c5233c4c_b.jpg
Views: 3434
Size:  210.0 KB
    Name:  How-To-Regulate-G9000-Mudman-G-Shock-Casio-Watch-Accuracy.jpg
Views: 11104
Size:  60.1 KB
    When I open up my King GXW56 today, I saw moisture under the back plate and possible also under the buttons (not 100% sure). So I realise that water can enter under the back plate, and be attracted there cause it's hard for it to evaporate. Imaging you are going into the poor with your watch, quit some amount of water will be attracted under the back plate.

Then my concern is that water can potentially be attracted under the mud-resistant buttons, long after you thought you watch is dry. Not knowing it, you do a lot of button operation, is it possible that water may enter into the module when you pushing buttons back and forth, thus bringing moisture even some amount of water into the module?

The way I see it, there is no water resistance at all when you push buttons. Probably that's why Casio stopped advising using the buttons under water, and even do not advise using it for frogmans (absurd)! Observe the picture below, there is no water resistance structure in the button pushing pins:
    Name:  5068048929_d17d9608ec_b.jpg
Views: 3404
Size:  214.5 KB
    Name:  5068049607_57d07e47f3_b.jpg
Views: 3343
Size:  215.2 KB
    Name:  5068048367_0967edfb1b_b.jpg
Views: 3449
Size:  188.4 KB
    Then finally, my questions for you all, have you heard, saw or witnessed any g-shock start having moistures or even waters inside of the module after using its buttons under water? Are you concerned about this issue?

Thank you.
    lvt likes this.

Re: Water found attracted under back plate and bottons: Design flaw of GX56 Kings and Mudman series?

I haven't tried operating my G-Shock's buttons under water yet. And yes, I'm concerned about this issue. Design flaw? Yes, I believe so. That extra resin on the back plate can actually trap dirt and it makes cleaning the watch not as simple as other models without it.
    JUNGHANS Radio-Controlled WWVB, G-2500, GL-150, G-7300 TOUGH SOLAR, G-9100 GULFMAN,
    G-9000 MUDMAN, DW-5600 MODULE 901, DW-5000SL, DW-8200 FROGMAN, G-2900, Timex (Analog) Perpetual Calendar Model T2D461, Freestyle (Analog) Shark Hammerhead, Timex (Analog) Perpetual Calendar Model T45441.

Re: Water found attracted under back plate and bottons: Design flaw of GX56 Kings and Mudman series?

I haven't disassembled one of those cases, yet, but, I do recall that there are o-rings for sealing the pusher pins as they pass through the case(not visible w/assembled). The Mudman button design was to keep grit from working at those o-rings and compromising their sealing prematurely. There were some discussions about these watches being first-closed in very humid conditions, trapping a small amout of moisture inside them, later seen as a small amount of condensation on the cooler parts (like the metal case-back plate, when the watch is unworn and cooled off). Try leaving it open a day or so in a warmer, dryer place, then reseal it and check it in a few months or so after getting it wet?

Josh

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Suspended

What a thoughtful and thorough post!

I'm with JDB concerning the buttons. I can't imagine a 200M rated watch not having gaskets for the buttons.

I've never had problems pushing the buttons under water, and that has been done alot with my g-shocks. My 3 year old daughter loves to play around with my watches when I give her a bath, and her playing with them, includes pressing the buttons while submerged. I guess it only being in a foot of water may make a difference compared to it being 20+ feet under. just my personal experience.

derek

Yes the water gets between the front /back bezel and the case, and also under the button covers, and can take time to disappear, but not in the case unless one of the gaskets is old, cracked, pinched, cut, or misaligned in it's groove.
    Used the buttons underwater many times without issues including the "front" button like light on 6900 etc. Every button shaft has a gasket which provides seal through whole range of shaft movement. Not sure if there is any difference in pressures it can handle while moving or depressed versus neutral position, but would be interesting to test this specifically in a chamber. :)
    If you feel adventurous, since you already opened the case, you can remove one of those E-clips from the button shaft and remove the button to inspect the gasket design and post some pics.

Interesting post, I wonder how the expensive Frogmen differ, aren't they ISO rated, I'm thinking the extra expense is because they are built much better for water resistance?

Sodiac
    Too many watches, only two wrists and never enough time...

here is a pic of the gulfman button from another thread, but probably every gshock and also baby-g has double gasket like this

Quote Originally Posted by eurocopter View Post
    here is a pic of the gulfman button from another thread, but probably every gshock and also baby-g has double gasket like this

Thanks a lot for that pic, which is a little bit re-assuring for me. That double black gas-ring is not visible unless one take it out completely, which I certainly did not manage to do cause that involves dissemble the metal ring around the button pin which is probably very hard to put back

I am glad to hear some good experiences with button operation under water without problems, but I can't help but wondering what is the real reason that Casio stopping saying it is OK to do so in their manuals (they used to put in it's OK to push buttons when submerged).

Also, even though the button is more water resistant than what I assume, it is still NOT a good idea to have water/moisture or dirt trapped under back plates or under the button covers. For mudman series, I understand the reason to put back plates is for those grip bumps, but for the GX56 King series, what is the practical purpose of doing so? to give people an illusion of protection? What do I miss?

A little bit reassuring

Maybe you should not get any of your watches wet that way no water except sweat can hurt your watch.

If you had in fact found water in you module that would be a problem.

Citizen AT4004
    Spork SRP034K1
    Stealth GA-100 1A1
    Black Knight Quartz
    Orange Monster
    SKX175 Pepsi
    Riseman Rising Dragon, Pathfinder PRG80, Oceanus, G1000H

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information