Water spot and dust question

Thread: Water spot and dust question

Water spot and dust question

On my new 5600 I noticed what appears to be a tiny piece of dust under the top crystal. It won't rub away so I believe it is in fact under the crystal. Is there only one crystal on these Gs? Meaning, is there a topmost crystal attached to the rubber bezel with a second one under it for the actual display, or is it just one (in which case there's nothing I can do about it i guess)? And how common is it to see any amount of dust? Can it accumulate over time or did it probably get in there during the manufacturing process? And if dust can indeed build up over time, what does that say about the water resistance?

As for the water spot (or a spot caused by some other liquid), i at first thought it was a scratch when the light hit the crystal a certain way, but quickly realised it was round and definitely a water spot or something like that. but i can't seem to rub it off. any ideas? i don't want to damage the crystal but soap and water doesn't seem to be doing the trick.

thanks!

Re: Water spot and dust question

I'd take the back off, remove all the inards and give the inside of the crytal a good wipe! Just be careful not to get more dust in it when putting it back together.

The inside should remove easily in one piece.

Watches are frickin evil!

If it were second hand I'd have guessed those things got in there during a battery change. I've never seen anything like that in a new one. I'd do what Hoochy suggests and be very careful you don't leave more dust in than you clean out. I had to take one watch apart several times as I kept leaving specs of dust in I didn't notice 'till I'd reassembled it. One of those little 'dust blowers' might be worth getting. The ones that look a bit like eye droppers.
    "The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is." C S Lewis

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

"Just be careful not to get more dust in it when putting it back together."

Easier said than done. It's kind of rare to see dust inside a G. It DOES happen. it does not get in there over time. It got stuck in there during manufacturing. You could have gotten a refurb watch.

Where did you buy it from?
    SPROING!!!!

(oops! Time for a new watch!)

Quote Originally Posted by cdude View Post

Easier said than done. It's kind of rare to see dust inside a G. It DOES happen. it does not get in there over time. It got stuck in there during manufacturing. You could have gotten a refurb watch.

bought it new supposedly from amazon seller xcelwatches

Older digitals tend to accumulate dust inside the case from flecks of the insides falling off and floating around. I doubt it your newer G-Shock would have this problem so it is probably just a piece of random crud from a battery change or manufacturing slip and a simple clean as described above should fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by cdude View Post

any way to tell if they were lying and in fact sent me a refurb? would casio know if i gave them the serial number? watch looked brand new when i got it, but the more i examine it the more stuff i see on the crystal. it's certainly possible i got something on it that's tough to remove with just water and soap, but now i'm wondering if all of this is under the crystal as well. they advertise as selling only 100% new authentic products, and have great reviews. i'll have to take a quick look under a loupe tonight to be sure what the stuff is. and though i haven't worn it much, i've had it for a week or more now and anything could have happened and i might not have noticed. or my 1 year-old could have gotten a hold of it, though i am pretty sure that didn't happen. thus, i don't think i'd have much recourse unless it's in fact a refurb and i could prove it.

I've had a few from there and they are an excellent seller. Must be a one off.

Watches are frickin evil!

Quote Originally Posted by smittythepig View Post
    any way to tell if they were lying and in fact sent me a refurb? would casio know if i gave them the serial number? watch looked brand new when i got it, but the more i examine it the more stuff i see on the crystal. it's certainly possible i got something on it that's tough to remove with just water and soap, but now i'm wondering if all of this is under the crystal as well. they advertise as selling only 100% new authentic products, and have great reviews. i'll have to take a quick look under a loupe tonight to be sure what the stuff is. and though i haven't worn it much, i've had it for a week or more now and anything could have happened and i might not have noticed. or my 1 year-old could have gotten a hold of it, though i am pretty sure that didn't happen. thus, i don't think i'd have much recourse unless it's in fact a refurb and i could prove it.
    well, it turns out that the liquid spots, though very tenacious, eventually came off with a little effort and no damage to the crystal. and the piece of dust i think is one tiny miniscule piece you almost need a loupe and a map to see. so i think i'm ok with it

Thread Information