Waveceptor fieldtest

Thread: Waveceptor fieldtest

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Waveceptor fieldtest

Hello everyone,
    I've just come back from a two-week trip to china, which I thought would be a great opportunity to test if the radio receiving ability of my g-shock is really as good as its manual says, so I broght my g with me.
    According to the manual, it should have no problem adjusting itself within 1500 km to the transmitter.
    The model I got was mrg-7100. To prevent possible confusion I switched to 60Hz only so that the other station in Japan wouldn't matter.
    During this trip I spent several days in Beijing and Shenzhen (a city right next to Hong Kong), surprisingly it worked at both places eventhough Shenzhen is almost 2000km from the radio station.

I found most inteference seems to come from what's above my head. At both places my g never calibrate successfully if there's a metalic roof (say, on the bus, plane or airport lobby) or if I was on a lower floor of the building, it didn't matter whether I was close to a window or not. (meter always run between nothing and level-1)

Maybe that's because the radio signal has to be reflected from the atmosphere.

(My original plan was to test signal on the plane. But it didn't work.)

The best signal I got was between level-3 and 2, it took roughly 15 sec only to complete the adjustment. That was done in XingGuang restaurant (on the top of a hotel in Beijing)

night view from the restaurant

(Sorry but I've forgotten to take a picture until I had a bite... :P)

In Shenzhen I felt distance did have some effect. My g-shock took more than 2 minutes to complete the job and the meter showed that the strength of radio signal was level-1 only, nevertheless, it still worked.

That's it, apologize for the poor english and thank you for your patience.
    Last edited by TOPquark; November 22nd, 2007 at 01:11.

Re: Waveceptor fieldtest

Thanks for the interesting info, Topquark, nice pic of the cheesecake? too! Interesting also to know that chinese restaurants serve western desserts as well.

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

@ topquark,

great action report, I like to read stories like that based on real world experiences. we have reports from our down under friends in this forum, that the japanese signal ist still received in australia 7000 kilometers away, which I think is pretty impressive.

regards, holger

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by cal..45 View Post
    @ topquark,

great action report, I like to read stories like that based on real world experiences. we have reports from our down under friends in this forum, that the japanese signal ist still received in australia 7000 kilometers away, which I think is pretty impressive.

regards, holger
    Yup...my atomic (GW400) reads at level three (ie highest) whenever I put it in a receivable setting. Where I am is over 7,200km from Tokyo, but I'm also aware that most, if not all of Oz can easily receive signals (barring interference) which means the signal can travel 9,000km or more.

The only drawback being Casio didn't design their atomic watches to receive when set to Oz cities dammit.

G-Shock & Sales Moderator DragonJade's Avatar

A great piece of reporting!

I'm pretty happy with my waveceptor's performance so far. The best performance I've gotten is putting it in a South facing window instead of a West facing window. Which doesn't make sense but I live about 1450 mi (2300 km) East of Fort Collins, Co. The shortest time is about 5 Am, when it will calibrate in about 2.5 to 3 minutes, in the West window, it takes more like 4-4.5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegum View Post
    Yup...my atomic (GW400) reads at level three (ie highest) whenever I put it in a receivable setting. Where I am is over 7,200km from Tokyo, but I'm also aware that most, if not all of Oz can easily receive signals (barring interference) which means the signal can travel 9,000km or more.

The only drawback being Casio didn't design their atomic watches to receive when set to Oz cities dammit.
    9000km !!! that's really amazing.
    I'm curious about one thing... did you have to switch the time zone to that of Tokyo's to allow wave receiving function?
    Last edited by TOPquark; November 22nd, 2007 at 17:04.

Wink Re: Waveceptor fieldtest

Hi Arnold,

You are a true world traveller, ha ha. Great test and great pictures. The food looks good... I'm off to home for dinner, now I 'm really hungry,

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Quote Originally Posted by TOPquark View Post
    9000km !!! that's really amazing.
    I'm curious about one thing... did you have to switch the time zone to that of Tokyo's to allow wave receiving function?
    Yes, that's the only problem. Casio designed it to not accept signals for 'home cities' they don't believe can accept the signals anyway. Work that 'logic' out.

Every so often, I will switch the home setting to Tokyo (or any Japanese city), let it sync over night, and switch it back to my home city in the morning. It's really not a big deal, just an annoying design fault.

I could leave it in the Tokyo setting and put the time into permanent 'daylight saving' which would then show the correct time for my time zone (ie. one hour ahead of standard Japan time), but then the tide graphs etc would all be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegum View Post
    Yes, that's the only problem. Casio designed it to not accept signals for 'home cities' they don't believe can accept the signals anyway. Work that 'logic' out.

Every so often, I will switch the home setting to Tokyo (or any Japanese city), let it sync over night, and switch it back to my home city in the morning. It's really not a big deal, just an annoying design fault.

I could leave it in the Tokyo setting and put the time into permanent 'daylight saving' which would then show the correct time for my time zone (ie. one hour ahead of standard Japan time), but then the tide graphs etc would all be wrong.
    My feeling about this is that, at least for solar models where power isn't an issue, if the atomic sync is turned on then the watch should try all of the transmitters.

Obviously, it should try the ones nearest the home city first (or the one that was last successfully synced). But if that doesn't work, cycle through all the others, just in case.

There's nothing to lose by trying. The worst that happens is that the sync fails, which is no worse than not trying anyway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information