waveceptor transmitters, GPS timekeeping

Thread: waveceptor transmitters, GPS timekeeping

waveceptor transmitters, GPS timekeeping

Hello,

I was wondering if anybody knows if there are any plans anywhere in the world to build new low-frequency time transmitters such as the ones in Fort Collins, Mainfligen etc.

As far as I know the one in China was the last one set up.

are we going to see multi band 7, multiband 8?

does anybody know?

I dream of the day that everybody wears radio controlled watches. Evrybody running around with different times seems rather backwards somehow.

Do you think watches are more likely to set the time using gps signal instead?

I look forward to hearing your opinions.

Re: waveceptor transmitters, GPS timekeeping

With the expansion of GPS, wireless, cell phones, 3G, 4G, and such, I would not expect to see that many more, if any.
    WhtShadow

Current Collection
    Casio 'non-G' 83QS-41, DW-1500, OAW-100TDJ, PAW-1300T,
    G-Shock GW-M5600, GW-800D, MTG-1000G,
    Bulova Accutron 214, Omega SMP 2232.80, Omega SMP 2255.80, Ball Engineer M Challenger, Traser Auto Pro,
    Seiko SDWB61, SNA139, SKA389, SKA296, Momentum Cobalt V Lite, Orient Mako Blue, Orient Mako USA 2 White,
    Victorinox (Swiss Army) Ground Force 60/60, Base Camp Ti

Quote Originally Posted by WhtShadow View Post
    With the expansion of GPS, wireless, cell phones, 3G, 4G, and such, I would not expect to see that many more, if any.
    that makes sense. for watches specifically is it not the cheapest and simplest way for them to get a time signal though? are there any watches currently available that update the time via gps? (i know that there are gps watches.. garmin forerunner etc).

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I believe GPS is a power-hungry way of doing things.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    I believe GPS is a power-hungry way of doing things.
    tribe.. that is also what i would have thought.

any reason to think that the very outdated current low-frequency method will not continue to be the standard for wristwatches?

Quote Originally Posted by h-bo View Post

any reason to think that the very outdated current low-frequency method will not continue to be the standard for wristwatches?
    I think it's high time this method is replaced with something better. You can't receive radio calibration signals in more than half of the world's landmass. South America, Africa, the Middle East = no signal. Heck, I'm in Atlantic Canada in a city with a population of about 400, 000 and a 9 hour drive from Boston and I can't even get a signal. I travel quite a bit to pretty much everywhere (mid-east, S. asia, N. africa) and I find this very annoying.

I'm sure the technology is available, and it would probably be very easy to make a watch that can sync anywhere in the world at an affordable cost, but I doubt any companies, including casio, will decide to be cutting edge in this matter any time soon.

Thread Information