We need to talk. . .. . .
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: We need to talk. . .. . .

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

These last two weeks a topic has taken precedence over every other and has destroyed (in my eyes anyway) a number of good threads. Value.

To give extreme examples: one group says a titanium frog oughtta retail for US $200 worldwide. Another group might feel the GWT5030 would've been a steal at twice retail. All valid.

What I've been struggling with is everyone here is entitled to their opinions and the voice to share them, but not always doing it in an appropriate manner. What I really enjoy is how individual we all are. What works for some of us doesn't neceasarily work for all. I actually enjoy this aspect very much.

It is very cool to post an unboxing thread. You bought it, you have been waiting for it. You may have mulled the decision for a while, saved up for a while or went through the pre-ordering process or whatever. It was obviously worth it to you (and this really is what matters). Can we just be more supportive as a community on these kinds of threads? If you took the time to post and looking forward to sharing it and the very first comment is questioning its value?

There comes a time and a place where this is a hobby. Why shut someone down however politely?

On an upcoming product info thread. When viewed from 5 years from now when someone is researching something they are interested in, do they need to wade through pages arguing pricing? Or now, a new watch is coming out and people are just trying to find info out about a watch, but it gets derailed constantly ad nauseum on perceived value. Can we let news/info threads stay more factual? We all know in a few years watches will be used and someone will sell theirs at a price probably reasonable for someone who thought it wasn't "worth it" when new. Why dissuade informed people? As adults we have to weigh every purchase anyway.

Had to vent. Please post up any comments here. I think there is a lot of venting that needs to go on based on how much "bleeding over" has been going on in various threads.

These are just my opinions. Feel free to post yours. We don't have to see everything in the same light, but it helps if we can agree on communication.

sent with aloha
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

Re: We need to talk. . .. . .

Actually Chris I think this forum is very fair when it comes to comments. I don't really see a lot of 'nasty' comments.

This is a discussion forum after all and I think if you have a problem with a particular watch you should be able to say it. Mind you, if you do, you should give a proper explanation of the reason.

We have some more 'challenging' members, like cal.45 for instance but he always gives reasons for his opinions and I think that is healthy and gives some balance to the discussion.

We seem to have similar likes about most 'G's but occasionally, like with your PRW-3000, we see things a bit differently but as long as we express our feelings in a respectful manner then everything is good in my opinion.

Mitch

I agree, Chris.
    Last edited by Bosox; August 20th, 2013 at 13:13.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I never like it when someone says, "We need to talk . . ." It's never good news!

But I agree that members need to consider their words carefully, especially when commenting on someone's newest purchase.
    azpops, gripmaster, MCZK and 1 others like this.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

LUW

Chris, let's face it: these things aren't cheap, so price will ALWAYS be an issue. That said, with such a culturally and economically diverse community that we have here, price/value arguing is bond to happen. Though I do understand what you're saying ("if you don't have nothing nice to say, don't say anything") you will get the negative comment once in a while. But as Mitch said, I also think 99% of comments though not exactly positive or supportive, are NOT mean. Honestly, that is a very good statistic. Even here on WUS you don't see that kind of answers in other subforums. Also, don't forget that in some cultures discussing price is nothing out of the ordinary, so very possibly some people don't think that a comment like "Wow, that's too expensive!" would be interpreted as offensive. I guess this is one of the things that comes with the territory and it's basically unavoidable, so as long as the comments aren't down-right mean, we have to live with it.

But in the end, this is all Casio's fault; if the T5030 was priced at $400 tops most here (me, specially) would have gotten one .
    Cheers!
    Luciano

I agree. People have different views of what is a fair price and what isn't. I myself find all G-shocks to be a great value and more stylish compared to my other watches being Tag, Tudor and Rolex. I will say there are some styles out there that I will never own because they do not appeal to me or have any modes on them I need, but would never get on anyone for buying anything, too each there own. I actually get the same or more people looking at what's on my wrist with the G-shocks I own.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisek View Post
    These last two weeks a topic has taken precedence over every other and has destroyed (in my eyes anyway) a number of good threads. Value.

To give extreme examples: one group says a titanium frog oughtta retail for US $200 worldwide. Another group might feel the GWT5030 would've been a steal at twice retail. All valid.

What I've been struggling with is everyone here is entitled to their opinions and the voice to share them, but not always doing it in an appropriate manner. What I really enjoy is how individual we all are. What works for some of us doesn't neceasarily work for all. I actually enjoy this aspect very much.

It is very cool to post an unboxing thread. You bought it, you have been waiting for it. You may have mulled the decision for a while, saved up for a while or went through the pre-ordering process or whatever. It was obviously worth it to you (and this really is what matters). Can we just be more supportive as a community on these kinds of threads? If you took the time to post and looking forward to sharing it and the very first comment is questioning its value?

There comes a time and a place where this is a hobby. Why shut someone down however politely?

On an upcoming product info thread. When viewed from 5 years from now when someone is researching something they are interested in, do they need to wade through pages arguing pricing? Or now, a new watch is coming out and people are just trying to find info out about a watch, but it gets derailed constantly ad nauseum on perceived value. Can we let news/info threads stay more factual? We all know in a few years watches will be used and someone will sell theirs at a price probably reasonable for someone who thought it wasn't "worth it" when new. Why dissuade informed people? As adults we have to weigh every purchase anyway.

Had to vent. Please post up any comments here. I think there is a lot of venting that needs to go on based on how much "bleeding over" has been going on in various threads.

These are just my opinions. Feel free to post yours. We don't have to see everything in the same light, but it helps if we can agree on communication.

sent with aloha
    Very valid thoughts there Chrisek but I think perception of value is at work here, different ppl perceive value differently, what might be reasonable to one might be unreasonable to another. Many ppl feel the need to voice out their opinions, be it supportive or negative. For eg. someone posts a new G Shock to be released, some posts will say wow its a nice watch, when is it coming out? Need to get one! Some posts might say, Meh...Not for me, not getting one of those. The colour is so ugly or its just a glorified re-issued of a vintage piece, whatsoever.

IMHO, if I don like a particular piece, I just do not post anything or click the like button. I would not post saying I do not like it, the price is so high, I wont buy it. BUT, a Big BUT however, in a forum, a public forum especially, everyone is entitled to their opinions and freedom of will to do whatever they wish to. So I cannot impose my personal rule on others saying, Hey! Nothing good to say? Pls don post. Thank You! Both positive and negative comments are healthy and keeps the forum going, if everyone were to just give just good and positive comments, its gets boring isn't it?

I do however agree with you that some comments are not so constructive, especially when ppl insist and goes ranting over and over again on price, design, etc. It should be a healthy discussion and not imposing one's views/opinion onto others in a somewhat forceful manner.

I love unboxing threads and I do know how much effort it takes for one to get ready a camera, arrange the stuff, step by step removal of the packaging and trying to take nice shots of all the photos so it can be shared in the forum for everyone to enjoy. Whenever I can, I will try to do more unboxing threads, its a fun and interesting thing for me to do.

Either way, Chrisek, you are one of the nice forum members and I read your threads and comments most of the time as you usually have interesting things to post and write about. I mean you contribute quite a fair bit of info and I as a newbie appreciate your efforts.

Cheers!
    Chrisek, Sengyoku, doc_aa and 5 others like this.

This topic is a bit heavy. In my case, I always buy G's for collection but not for wear, which may cause laughing from other WUS members. But I react to the comments positively as everything is just for fun here. Take it easy man. If price is nothing to you, then any comments on price is also nothing to you. You like the new baby or not is the most important.

I live in Hong Kong but seldom log in the local forum because when you share a new purchase, most of the comments are "How much" or "Where to buy". For G's forum, WUS is the best already!

Cheers,

Wah
    Audemars Piguet x1
    Breitling x1
    Ball x1
    Casio >160
    Glashutte Original x1
    IWC x2
    JLC x1
    Jauet Droz x1
    Nomos x1
    Omega x2
    Panerai x3
    Rolex x5
    Seiko x17
    Tudor x4

Guys, I hear it. In general I agree with everything said. I just feel that a lot of threads have been hijacked lately on this topic and when I read the unboxing thread I just got a little PO'd for the guy.

One of the things I love is that we all have different opinions of the watches, I think there are very few watches in my collection that cal.45 would personally be interested in. Having said that I look forward to his posts to see his reasoning and evaluate what applies to me. If we all were the same this would be a very boring place.

An example of what I felt was GREAT was DougFNJ's recent thread about Casio's new marketing strategy. He didn't go into the what you have incoming thread and roll through 4 pages, he started a new thread and made us all aware.

Agreed on the value will always be an issue, when a guy lucks out and gets #1 I just wish people weren't so fast to say they don't care for it whatever the reason might be.

No worries, I'm nowhere near a ledge :) I just wanted to give a place to voice all the frustrations vs getting into it on every thread.

sent with aloha
    tse_tse and gripmaster like this.
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

For a moment there I thought you're breaking up with someone from this forum, not me of course.
    Chrisek, G-fob and Deepsea_dweller like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information