Wearing Limited ed.watches

Thread: Wearing Limited ed.watches

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Wearing Limited ed.watches

Well Gang,

I was wearing my GW-5525 25th anniversary G-Shock and I started to think is this model with its tin and dog tag collectable? Should I in a sense be putting it away as a collectors item or should I wear it? The point is moot regarding this particular watch because I am wearing it. But the price is right for buying a second one to put away.

My thoughts for not putting it away is that it would have to come out once every 6 or 12 months due to recharging the solar battery. The battery is the CTL1616 and yet while I suspect that the charging system on some of the older gen of solar Shocks (such as GW-300 etc) were faulty. I also believe that some of the 1616 cells were defective also

What are your thoughts on this? Lets broaden the topic in question to also include other limited editions such as the Frogman series (which is now only LE)

Cheers

Leon

Re: Wearing Limited ed.watches

Hi Leon

I bought my G's to wear over the years, including my Master Blue Frogman. Its the only G I own now and I'm wearing it now. I'll wear it for work, mountain biking, gardening etc. I like to wear them that's what they are made for. After all a G Shock is nigh on indestructible whatever model it is!

As for tough solar I never had a problem with mine with a CTL1616 but I have heard the problems of others. My seiko kinetic failed after two years with a duff capacitor.

Regards

Matt

I'll just wear it but I'll take extra care not to bang it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by GeeBeeCee View Post
    I'll just wear it but I'll take extra care not to bang it.
    Yup..me too. I'm pretty careful so they should hold up well. It's almost a crime NOT to wear them and show them off to the world! If I had the resources, I would buy two of each and store one set for collecting, but there's not enough money or space so I can't do that.

For some reason when I buy a new LE G-shock I don't mind wearing it but when I buy or trade for a LE vintage model I often think of how much it's worth, how limited etc. and then end up not wearing it. Doesn't make a lot of sense I know, but I think it has to do with parts availablity and such too. I know I can order spare straps etc for modern watches but vintage ones will cost, if they can be found at all.

Plus I think Casio is making more of this anniv. than other ones before, and releasing more models as a result. Sort of dilutes the market if your thinking in terms of resale in another decade or so. Then again maybe everyone will just wear the heck outta these LE's and the few left in box will have greater value. I guess all this back and forth thinking is why I try to stick to more basic models now.

Kev

I sold my DB and MB frogman because (I did not want to mess them up) and I never took them out the house. The best G I had was the triple crown frogman (I purchased used) so I wasn't worried about a little scuff here or there.
    "Tempus fugit"

An interesting thread, especially to me at the moment as I'm trying to decide what to do with my 1976 Omega Megaquartz.

It's a lovely watch but now, in the condition mine's in, extremely rare, so what the heck do I do with it? It seems a real shame not to wear it but if I do, it's going to deteriorate which would be a dreadful shame. I don't like having watches I can't wear as I'm just not a long term collector, I'm too old for that game . I'd rather to see them on my wrist.

Mind you if I sell it and buy a nice Limited Edition Frogman, I'd probably be in the same boat

The thing is though. there are a few Froggies around but I doubt many of these.... Who said this being a WIS was easy !

"The only exercise I take is walking behind the coffins of friends who took exercise." Peter O'Toole

Nowadays I prefer to get a regular production model instead of a limited one. Saves me the trouble of taking care not to bang it. And it's also why I sold my red Mudman.

Unless I decide to get a Frogman of course. I don't think there is regular production Frogman out there.

Leon, I think most around here say 'wear it with care'. If you really think it will go up in value, at the current price to us in the U.S., then go ahead an buy it. I think the GW-5525 has more of a limited appeal due to is bigger size vs. the 5600, and it has more of a 'unique' look, and I would be surprised if the value went up. At the price you can get it, sure, it could go up $30 or so. I gave $120 for mine before this big sale, and I like what I paid. This model isn't everywhere and I've seen solar 5500's sell for more than this atomic/solar model (and the 5525 we have has the better module!).

That said, I like it because it's the moduel they used in the GW-M5600. I also really like how legible the display is. I wouldn't worry too much about the CTL battery in this model, or the solar charging in it either. It was a very select group of the GW-300's that seemed to be affected. Casio uses the CTL in just about all the solar models in it's lineup (including all the solar pathfinders) and there just aren't failures like everyone is afraid of. There are only a few models that use the ML battery (Frogman, 2300, GL-7000, GL-230, G-7000...maybe a few others).
    The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.
    -Albert Einstein

The unforgivable crime is soft hitting. Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly.
    -Theodore Roosevelt

My Team
    Casio DW-6900-1V; DW-9100; GW-5600J-1; GW-6900-1; GW-6900B; GW-7900B; GW-9200-1; GW-A1000FC-2ADR; GW-M5600-1ER; MTG-520; PAW-1500T
    Citizen AT0660-05F; AT4004-52E; AT8020-54L; ATD53-3011; AV0021-52H; AV0031-59A; BL1258-53L; BL5440-58E; BN0088-03E; BN0100-51E; BZ0000-50E; EBJ74-1741; JY0010-50E; JV0020-12F; JY0000-53E; JY8000-50E; PMD56-2861; PMT56-2731; PMX56-2812
    Omega Planet Ocean XL 2200.50.00
    Rolex Two-tone 1500
    Seiko SARB023; SBDB001; SBDC003; SBPG001; SKA371; SKA511; SKXA33; SKZ325; SLT079; SLT081; SNDA59; SNE109; SNE283; SNG045; SPB001J; SRP043; SRP227; SRP307; SSC017

Tag Heuer 500m Aquaracer WAJ2110.BA0870

I say wear it. Just accumulate a few regular models you like to mix it up and wear the ones you like. If you really really like one you can always get a spare one or extra bands and bezels. The limited edition ones can be nice, but it kind of takes the fun out of wearing one if you start worrying about it as an investment, instead of just something cool to wear.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information