Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By Mike K
  • 1 Post By d2mac
  • 1 Post By STEVIE
  • 1 Post By Rocat
  • 1 Post By Tetsu Tekubi

Thread: Welding damage to glass

Welding damage to glass

We gave our son-in-law a G-Shock for Christmas. We noticed he isn't wearing it anymore, so I asked him if he had a problem with it.

He was very upset and told me that he forgot to take it off when he was doing some welding in his shed. The watch is OK, but the crystal has bubble marks from the sparks. (Oh dear)

Anyone know where I can source a new glass so I can try to replace it? It's a solar square and a nice model. Would last him a good few years with a new crystal.

I live in Australia

Re: Welding damage to glass

I think the glass comes with the case as one part...

So parts + labor = cost more than the watch it self.

Try and polish it off.
    If the burn is to deep, isuggest you buy a new one
    Keep the old for parts, module, band.
    Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by STEVIE View Post
    We gave our son-in-law a G-Shock for Christmas. We noticed he isn't wearing it anymore, so I asked him if he had a problem with it.

He was very upset and told me that he forgot to take it off when he was doing some welding in his shed. The watch is OK, but the crystal has bubble marks from the sparks. (Oh dear)

Anyone know where I can source a new glass so I can try to replace it? It's a solar square and a nice model. Would last him a good few years with a new crystal.

I live in Australia
    Pacparts sells crystals individually -- what model G is it? (Years ago Pacparts charged an arm and a leg for international shipping via DHL; as of last year they're using the US Postal Service and it was "only" $9.89 for shipping to India in this thread.)

The fact that it's a solar model MIGHT make replacement a little bit more complicated but again, that's going to depend on the model in question.

Interestingly, there are quite a few threads around here discussing how welding sparks can damage mineral crystals but they bounce right off acrylic crystals, which is rather counter-intuitive -- it would SEEM like the softer acrylic would be damaged MORE.
    GaryK30, STEVIE, Rocat and 1 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator G-Shock Forum

My dad works in a car workshop.
    I made the same experience:

Mineral crystals are more endangered then plastic crystals.
    So a F-91W was not that burnt by sparks after some years then a G-Shock. The sparks were deflected and didnt nest on the surface to burn into the crystal.
    Of course the rest of the housing was nuch more damaged....

Maybe a protective plastic foil will keep sparks away from the crystal....

For repair of the Crystal:
    If its a GW-M56XX the solar panel is glued to the crystal and the unit is hard to replace by a watchmaker.
    So i agree with the other post here, repair is probably not worth the money.
    STEVIE likes this.

The damage to the crystal AND the bezel is substantial, so I agree with you guys, it's not worth fixing. He can buy a non-solar replacement online for AUD$80. Next time he will be leaving the watch in the house before he puts the goggles on!
    Rocat likes this.

The spark scars would not keep the watch from working as intended. It'll just just look beat up, the way a G-Shock should look if being used as intended. Kind of the same mindset a farmer uses with his work trucks. Keep it pretty until the first scratch. After that, work the heck out of it. Bezels are easily replaced, crystals not so much.
    idkfa likes this.
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

lvt

If the repair fees are excessive, a new replacement watch could be a good choice.

I'm a professional [desk] diver.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

do you have pics of the damage? id give a solid attempt at polishing it out with some coarse diamond paste. really have nothing to lose.
    Watch_Geekmaster likes this.
    the aritst formerly known as soulbridgemedia
    Whoisdisdointhissynthe tictypeofalphabetapsychedelicfunkin

IG: soulbridge_media
    IG: thegcollective

Quote Originally Posted by soulbridgemedia View Post
    do you have pics of the damage? id give a solid attempt at polishing it out with some coarse diamond paste. really have nothing to lose.
    I second that!

The difference in "immunity" to welding between mineral crystal and acrylic crystal was long been mentioned by member/Mod Mr. Sedi. It's good to have some real life photographic evidence showing the damage to the mineral crystal, as well as the resin bezel. If you can have him repeat the same welding exercise with an acrylic crystal watch (get a cheap one for the experiment), then show the damage in comparison that will be even better!

It's sucks for him to lose the watch like that, but at least make that an educational experience for everybody to learn.

Ard

I am wearing a 1983 WR5200 right now that has a lot of pitting of the crystal from grinding welds. Pitting is one thing but if your sons crystal is melted then he needs a new watch.

Thread Information