What *is* it about alarms these days?

Thread: What *is* it about alarms these days?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What *is* it about alarms these days?

Maybe this has been discussed elsewhere, and maybe it's just me, but the alarms on all my modern-era watches just suck. I mean, isn't the point of an alarm supposed to be that it's loud enough to at least get one's attention? NONE of my newer watches are capable of this, yet ALL of my vintage watches chirp loud enough to wake the dead. I don't get it....
    PM is not working for me. If you need to contact me, please email. Thanks! popokinui1(at)gmail(dot)com

Re: What *is* it about alarms these days?

I wonder if it's a result of case thickness nowadays. The speaker size can't have changed that drastically (or could it?) but I'd bet that G-Shocks are quite a bit chunkier than the vintages. The sound might just be partially muffled by the case and the protective layers.
    Simon

WTB - More wrists

Don't we lose the ability to hear high frequencies as we age? I know there are some cellphone tones that ring so only the kids/students can hear them in class when they are not to have them and the teachers don't.

Wait... you said you can still hear the alarms on your vintage watches better than the new ones. That blows my theory.
    -Nate
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
    -Albert Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by sl8763 View Post
    I wonder if it's a result of case thickness nowadays. The speaker size can't have changed that drastically (or could it?) but I'd bet that G-Shocks are quite a bit chunkier than the vintages. The sound might just be partially muffled by the case and the protective layers.
    Don't most watches (i.e. G-Shocks) now have a piezo wafer as a speaker on the inside of the caseback? My old Casio DW-1000 does; just a bitty little wafer on the caseback but when it beeps, you can hear it from three rooms away. Not so any of my new G's. I sometimes can't hear them when I'm holding one in my hand, much less wering it.
    PM is not working for me. If you need to contact me, please email. Thanks! popokinui1(at)gmail(dot)com

Apart from the occasional timer use and the hourly chime, I never had much use for alarms on my wristwatches, so it's not that big a deal for me.

In the few times that I do use the alarm, I hear it quite clearly even when I'm outdoors.
    DW-9051/2
    G-9200 Riseman
    G-9100 Gulfman
    G-9000MC-8D Mudman
    GW5600J
    GA-100A-9A

Sucks to be without a G.

Quote Originally Posted by Popoki Nui View Post
    Maybe this has been discussed elsewhere, and maybe it's just me, but the alarms on all my modern-era watches just suck. I mean, isn't the point of an alarm supposed to be that it's loud enough to at least get one's attention? NONE of my newer watches are capable of this, yet ALL of my vintage watches chirp loud enough to wake the dead. I don't get it....
    Hello. I'm kinda' new here. In my experience, the volume of the alarm is related to the case material and thickness. For me, the case thickness has been directly related to water resistance rating - the thicker the case, the greater the maximum depth rating. Below is a list in decreasing order of alarm volume:

Various Timex Ironman (Ironmans, Ironmen ), Various Casios - Most were 100M water resistant - plastic cases, good alarms
    200M Oceanic Atom 2 dive computer/watch (plastic case) good alarm - have heard it while scuba diving i.e. noisy environment (alarm used for various signals)
    100M Citizen Titanium Sailhawk Eco-Drive - fairly good alarm
    200M Citizen Titanium Calibre 2100 Eco-Drive - (not a true diver but solid case) still a fairly good alarm
    200M Burett diver quartz chrono/alarm (very solid stainless steel case, sapphire crystal). Fairly faint alarm. If it is sitting flat on my wrist, it is very faint. Wouldn't sleep with it on and depend on it to wake me up - better on the night table on its side.

All will wake me up, none will wake the dead

When I want to use an alarm, I use the one on my cell phone. A watch alarm is worthless in my opinion. I wouldn't want to depend on it to wake me up in the morning.

Thank goodness I'm a light sleeper. A mosquito's fart can wake me.

Ticking Away the Moments that Make Up a Dull Day

Quote Originally Posted by Popoki Nui View Post
    It's also something I've been wondering about. Some of the newer watches are pretty subdued while the older ones are very loud. Interestingly, I can't see a connection with a certain general case construction type.

For example, my DW-9200K and DW-5025D (both classic screwback cases) are very loud, the MR-Gs 100 and 1000 (both screwbacks) are almost inaudible when worn and resin/backplate cases seem to vary primarily with the use of classic battery (loud) or solar charging power (quiet) systems.

I agree with the OP -- these alarms SUCK!
    An alarm is a pretty often-used feature of a digital wristwatch I would have thought. They even go to the trouble of putting up to 5 alarms in a G. So why can't they make them properly loud? Size retrictions or battery power, or what?

My Protrek is louder than the G's but still not loud enough IMO ... Unless you are sitting in an office or something. Outdoors it's hit-and-miss whether I notice that it's gone off.
    -- Gray
    Current Favourite: PRG240 (the orange-tinted one)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information