what bands can go on MTG910?
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By LinuxHippy
  • 1 Post By LinuxHippy
  • 1 Post By LinuxHippy

Thread: what bands can go on MTG910?

what bands can go on MTG910?

I bought a used G-Shock MTG910 off ebay about a year ago that cleaned up pretty well. There were some scuffs on the band that couldn't be cleaned off (the black paint got scratched). I found out that it takes the same style band as my resin GW500A and swapped it with no problem. That band is a lot more durable and almost looks as good as the black metal band. Are there other G-Shock watches that use the same style band? I may eventually go with a black leather strap if I could find one.

Marty

EDIT:

The bands on these 2 watches were held on by screws that kept the band on the rubber/resin part of the MTG910 watch and the GW500A. I loosened the screws with a screwdriver block and a small watch screwdriver. Once the screws are out just pry the band away from the watch with the round part of the screwdriver on the underside of the watch until it pops off the rubber (mud may have dried in there like concrete...be gentle to break it without breaking the plastic...maybe warm water would loosen it if it's stuck). Push the other band on and re-screw. No spring bars involved!
    Last edited by LinuxHippy; March 11th, 2014 at 17:18.

Re: what bands can go on MTG910?

It's a short list of straps (and bracelets) that fit those models, and I haven't seen a leather one yet.

There's a picture of the back of the package of the strap I got to replace the bracelet on my MTG-900 in this thread, which lists all the models that it fit (at the time): https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/rec...on-438723.html

The short version: the straps from the GW-500 and GW-530 models fit, along with the MTG-900 series bracelets. (The new GW-M5xx and MTG-M9xx models use the same cases and bracelets as well.) It's a unique design that they never really used on any other models.

So, because the band can be easily swapped off by undoing some screws, does that make this Casio's original multiband 6 watch?

Marty
    computer_freak likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxHippy View Post
    So, because the band can be easily swapped off by undoing some screws, does that make this Casio's original multiband 6 watch?
    HA! Good one, but....

Actually, from everything I've read here, it was "easily swapped" for YOU, but some of those screws seem to be put together with the wrong grade of LocTite thread lock -- including the super-heavy duty version!

I actually put a permanent twist in the tip of one of my inexpensive screwdrivers trying to get those screws out of my MTG-900, and wound up taking it to a well-established jeweler nearby -- even after putting the watch in a jewelry vice and having two free hands to work on the screws, HE had quite a time getting them loose and kept up a running commentary about it the entire time he was working on it.

I've taken these screws out of 4 of these kind of watches using a screwdriver block rather than using a vice (this thing holds one screw in place while helping balance the watch...put it on the right hand side of the watch). I bought from esslinger here:

Watchmakers Tool for Removing Double-Ended Screws and Double Sided Gucci Screws

So, I undid 8 screws on these various watches: GW400J, MTG900-DA, MTG910-DA, GW500A which was 8 screw pairs and 3 of these were hard as anything to undue and 2 of these wouldn't even re-screw. Maybe these screws just get corroded shut over time. I did see these screws for ~ $8 on line, so if you mess them up just buy new ones. The ones I put back on my MTG910 I loosened a half turn and don't plan on getting it wet (I think water and mud just corrodes these things).

Marty

I took 2 pictures of my hybrid MTG910-DA and uploaded them:

Name:  mtg910-hybrid1.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  49.5 KBName:  mtg910-hybrid2.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  64.9 KB

Marty

I've taken these screws out of 4 of these kind of watches using a screwdriver block rather than using a vice (this thing holds one screw in place while helping balance the watch...put it on the right hand side of the watch). I bought from esslinger here:

Watchmakers Tool for Removing Double-Ended Screws and Double Sided Gucci Screws
    Wow, and thanks! Must get myself one of those now!

My dad taught me long ago that there's a tool for every job, but it's the specialized tools like this one -- that we don't know about! -- that are awesome when we find them and frustrating until we do! "Since we don't know it even exists, let alone what to call it, we can't walk into a store and ask for one." Now I want to go read the entire Esslinger's website to see what else I've been missing!

Maybe these screws just get corroded shut over time. I did see these screws for ~ $8 on line, so if you mess them up just buy new ones.
    Corrosion makes as much sense (if not more) than "thread lock fluid" and explains why some people have a heck of a time getting them out when others don't!

I'd started to strip one screw head doing it myself, ordered a full replacement set "just in case" and then just chuckled when the jeweler apologized for doing the same thing to another -- not nearly as bad! "I ordered replacement screws after I ordered the band. Hopefully they'll show up within a day or two of each other!"

I took some more pictures to show what I did.

Name:  MTG910-original-band.JPG
Views: 240
Size:  40.1 KB

The original MTG910 band...it looks really cool but is not durable as can be seen by the scuffed black paint :(

Name:  exploded-mtg910-hybrid.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  77.0 KB

I really like this GW500A band. It's one of the few buckle bands with a built in stopper at the end so that the keeper doesn't slide off the excess band. It is also textured on both sides like car tires so that it doesn't slide around on your wrist and looks cool on the outer side. I put a small black rubber band on the other side of the keeper (small rectangular wedge of rubber) to help that stopper keep the keeper from sliding around. Hopefully these pictures will help explain this:

Name:  mtg910-hybrid-side-texture.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  85.8 KBName:  mtg910-hybrid-band-stoppers.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  95.1 KB
    Name:  mtg910-hybrid-inside.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  47.3 KB

In the next picture I took off the buckle clasp by putting the pointy end of a spring bar tool against the spring bar hidden in the hole from the outside of the band...a thin needle would do the trick too. Once the clasp is off, I had to double a small black rubber band and slide it on the band. Re-assemble the clasp onto the spring bar with a small flat head watch screwdriver.

Name:  mtg910-hybrid-band-disassembled-stopper.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  60.2 KB

Name:  mtg910-hybrid-final.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  83.7 KB

The MTG910 is definately a rugged looking watch and with this resin band it's very durable!

Marty
    Last edited by LinuxHippy; April 3rd, 2014 at 16:51. Reason: clarification
    Mike K likes this.

I didn't like a shiny clasp...afterall it's a stealthy watch. I also wanted it to lock onto my wrist if the sliding keeper moves off the excess band. So I bought a 20 mm black PVD Hadley-Roma steel butterfly clasp. It looks real nice and is comfortable. It was pricey compared to other butterfly clasps but worth it. I also bought a cheaper butterfly-clasp that looks identical in the measurements but irritated the skin on my flesh (it felt like metal going in my wrist at times). You get what you pay for and Hadley-Roma has been doing this a long time. Here's some more pictures:

Name:  butterfly-clasp-open.JPG
Views: 285
Size:  40.2 KB

This band was made in Japan and was 21 mm wide. The American clasps seem to be even sizes, so I had to make the end where the clasp attaches to the band a little smaller by using metal sand paper (any sand paper woulda worked). Once it's 20 mm at the end the spring bar can connect properly.

Name:  butterfly-clasp-closed.JPG
Views: 284
Size:  46.6 KB

Now it locks onto my wrist like the original band and can easily be opened by pressing the sides of the clasp. This comfortable butterfly clasp has made my buckle band into a bracelet like the original MTG910 band but will never scuff as it is mostly resin and is now all black too :)

Marty
    Last edited by LinuxHippy; April 3rd, 2014 at 19:05. Reason: clarification
    Mike K likes this.

Thread Information