What camera is best for those close-up pics?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What camera is best for those close-up pics?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

What camera is best for those close-up pics?

Hi there, as I see many nice pics invading the G-Shock-forum and me building my own web-site about my G-shocks, please let me know what camera you use to photograph your beauties(+ nicest close-up pic made with it! ).....as I may need a new camera to make those nice close-ups!

Cheers, Bob

Was Japan, now back home in Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Re: What camera is best for those close-up pics?

Hi Master -

I had a look at your website and it is looking great

It reminds me off Japan and makes me feel like returning that much sooner as it looks very Japanese in it's set up

Great stuff.. Love it!:-D

When I set up my shopping site in Japan, I shall place your link on it as it's the best I've seen..

All the best - ZZ
    NightOwl likes this.

Hi Bob -

Forgot to mention that I use a SONY DSC-T1 very small camera.

The one I'm using has been around the world with me many times, dropped on concrete and a few bounces, has used for thousands, possibly millions of photos, and still works as weel as the day I got it.

5.1 Megapixels and has a Carl Zeiss lens.

Here's a few internet reviews.

All the best - ZZ

Links to more:
    http://www.i4u.com/section-viewarticle-20.html

This one includes a video.
    http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_Cyber_S...-30588497.html

Good Photos.
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/t1.html

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1536817,00.asp

ENJOY
    Sony DSC-T1 Review

How tiny can these digital compacts really get. OK, I know we had a similar size camera from Minolta some time ago, but this is a true 5-megapixel model which is no larger than a deck of cards and which is supposed to take serious pictures. Well that's the idea anyway. But is this really a serious camera meant for the serious photographer? I mean - let's face it - there is no tripod mount, no optical viewfinder, and with a flash like a Christmas tree candle the Sony DSC-T1 is a joke surely. Or is it? Let's find out what Sony has come up with this time by taking it for a test drive and finding out if it really is a photographer's dream or a true nightmare.

Using the camera

Picking up the camera you notice that it feels much heavier than you would expect for such a small size. Since the body is made of metal, it has a solid, well engineered feel to it and the stainless steel material gives the impression of quality and durability.

Instead of an optical viewfinder Sony has fitted this really huge, 2.5inch LCD screen with an excellent resolution of 211.000 pixels. It occupies about two-thirds of the camera's back area and images on the screen are clear and bright. Framing images through the LCD is almost as convenient as using a traditional, optical finder.

The lens is a Carl Zeiss, Vario-Tessar affair and truly meant for serious photography. Although its maximum aperture of f3,5 is pretty slow, there is a 3x zoom, equivalent to 38 - 114 mm in 35 mm terms. Its construction resembles the Minolta Dimage X-series cameras of some time ago, which also had a lens that was placed down the body rather than directly behind the lens opening. The light is redirected downward to the CCD-sensor by a prism. This construction obviously helps to keep the camera's size to a minimum. Other efforts to minimise the camera's size include a new rechargeable InfoLithium battery the size of a matchbox and the inclusion of the brand new Memory Stick Duo card, which is even tinier than the original Memory Stick.

This new generation of memory card has a higher speed of writing and reading data, with the new Memory Stick PRO Duo being the faster variant of the Memory Stick Duo card. Targeted for digital music players, digital still and video cameras, the PRO Duo has more storage capacity, faster data transfer and the possibility to record real time, high-resolution photos or videos with the embedded MagicGate technology for secure transfer of copyright protected content. The size of the PRO Duo is only one third of a standard Memory Stick and is available in sizes of 256 and 512 Mb, but capacities are going up as we speak. At the moment the only devices using the new type of card are the Sony DSC-T1 and DSC-U50 digital cameras, a Sony digital music player and the Sony Ericsson P800 camera/phone combination. To make the new card compatible with other cameras Sony include a Memory Stick adapter through which the new media can be used in devices featuring a standard Memory Stick slot whereas a CompactFlash adapter is available as well.

Pushing down the lens cover at the front makes things come alive at the back. The LCD screen lights up and shows information about the camera's current settings. In less than two seconds you are ready to go. When pressing the shutter the camera locks focus in about half a second. In dark conditions focusing is aided by the AF-assist light at the front next to the lens. Shot-to-shot speed is excellent with a delay of around a second between shots and there is no noticeable shutter lag, which is a good thing. Digital cameras have got a lot better in this respect and lag time is now almost as short as on conventional analogue cameras. No doubt due to Sony's Real Imaging Processor the camera can capture four high-speed burst shots in less than two seconds flat. This is one mighty quick camera.

Although the Sony DSC-T1 is really meant to be a point-and-shoot camera, it has many of the bells and whistles of higher end Sony models. Snapshooters will probably opt for Auto mode, which is a simple point-and-shoot mode that provides few controls. Program mode offers much more control over the way the image is recorded. ISO sensitivity, contrast, saturation and sharpness can all be set by the user, as well as flash level and metering among others.

Apart from Auto and Program mode, there are eight predetermined shooting modes to choose from. When using one of these, the camera automatically chooses the optimum settings to match the selected scene. So even beginners can get high quality images under less than ideal lighting conditions. It is interesting to note the Magnifying Glass mode - which is in fact a super macro mode - that allows images to be captured as close as 1 cm (0.39 in.) from a subject, thereby magnifying the subject by 3.3 times to show details that would otherwise be invisible to the naked eye. Other scene modes include twilight, portrait, landscape, snow, beach, high speed shutter and even fireworks.

The Sony DSC-T1 is packed with advanced features to deliver the best picture quality possible. There are two metering modes. The by now familiar matrix or multipattern metering is bound to deliver a perfect exposure most of the time but in extreme lighting conditions the user can opt for spot metering as well. Standard focusing mode is the five-point AF system, which automatically detects where the main subject is located in the frame. Two other focusing modes that can be selected are Centre AF or Spot AF. The former locks the focusing point in the centre of the frame whereas the latter narrows the centre focusing point even further tying it to the spot meter. In addition to this, the focusing method can be set to single AF, which is the standard setting that locks focus when the shutter button is pressed halfway. Continuous AF, which starts focusing when the shutter button is pressed halfway but will refocus as soon as the subject moves - an ideal option for action photography. And finally MonitorinG AF, where the camera starts focusing before the release button is pressed and which sets focus when the shutter button is pressed halfway. Manual focusing is possible as well.

That Sony really wanted to produce a serious camera is illustrated by the large number of features presented with the advanced photographer in mind. There are seven white balance settings including fluorescent and flash. Although the built-in flash is fairly weak and only covers a modest distance of up to 1.5 m (5 ft) it is possible to adjust flash levels in three steps. Indoor focusing is aided by a bright orange AF-lamp - an addition usually only found on high end cameras. Exposure compensation over +/-2 EV is possible in 1/3 stop increments. Shutter speeds range from 1/1000 to 1 second in Program Mode and even up to 2 seconds in some Scene modes (Fireworks). Noise reduction is applied automatically when speeds fall below 1/6 seconds. Picture effects such as sepia, solarized or negative art are possible. Contrast, saturation and sharpness can be set at three levels (plus, normal and minus) according to your own preferences. There is a movie mode at 30 frames per second, which makes it possible to capture full screen movies of up to 640 x 480 pixels. Their length is only restricted by the size of the Memory Stick. A 512Mb PRO Duo card can hold about 6 minutes of video at this quality. The LCD screen is backlit, and both the intensity of the backlight and the brightness of the image can be adjusted. Even in direct sunlight the image remains clearly visible because the screen is non-reflective. Images are saved as JPEG with a choice of Standard or Fine compression.

In the box

Apart from the Sony DSC-T1 and the usual extras like power cable, USB and video cables, wrist strap and 32Mb Memory Stick Duo , Sony include a docking station for easy downloading of images and automatically charging the 3.6v 2.4Wh InfoLithium ION Battery. Sony claims a battery life of about 80 minutes or 170 images with the LCD backlight on and about 100 minutes or 200 images with the backlight turned off. It takes about 2.5 hours to completely recharge an empty battery.

Besides the 32Mb Memory Stick Duo an adapter is included to make the new card suitable for devices that use the traditional Memory Stick. A CompactFlash adapter is available as an extra accessory.

Downloading images is easy thanks to the included docking station. Just place the Sony DSC-T1 in the cradle with the screen facing you, make sure the single external connection at the bottom of the camera is securely located in the docking station and you are set to go. When transferring images through Sony's Image Transfer software, a window displays previews of the photos flying in and by default saves them in the My Documents/Image Transfer folder. Pixela's ImageMixer Software can be used to do some basic image manipulation like adjusting hue, contrast or saturation and sharpness. Images can be cropped, resized or rotated. A printed manual is included which does a good job of explaining all the functions of the Sony DSC-T1.

Image quality

It is not surprising that a lens like the Carl Zeiss Vario Tessar f3.5-f4.4 / 6,7-20.1mm (38 - 114mm eq.) delivers sharp images - after all we are talking decades of experience in lens design here. There is only slight barrel distortion in wide angle shots and hardly any noticeable pincushion distortion at maximum tele. Chromatic aberration is minimal and only slightly detectable in extremely high contrast areas.

Images are remarkably noise free, although in some subjects a little shadow noise is present. This is probably due to the fairly high compression level Sony apply in the Sony DSC-T1. In general though images are bright and accurately exposed with nicely saturated colours.

Contrast is mild rather than strong and although the ideal setting is largely due to personal preferences this can easily be adjusted in the relevant menu section. Some flare can become visible in "contre-jour" lighting and this might be due to the construction of the lens in combination with the prism that directs the light downwards to the sensor. Dynamic range is excellent, showing plenty of detail in shadow and highlight areas in all lighting circumstances.

Conclusion

After using the camera for about two weeks, we have come to appreciate the Sony DSC-T1 as a versatile and handy little camera that can be carried anywhere. It is stylish and light, and above all delivers excellent image quality. A few flaws that we experienced were the fact that the battery compartment door is rather flimsy. Plus when you open it to change the Memory stick Duo , the battery will fall out if you are not careful, since there is no latching mechanism to hold it in.

Being as small as it is, has its advantages in that it will fit any purse or pocket. Still, some users will probably miss an optical viewfinder, as holding the camera high in front of you is not everybody's idea of taking a picture discreetly. Besides a traditional optical viewfinder can help prevent camera shake, because when you hold the camera to your eye it is easier to keep still than when holding it at arm's length in front of you. So, while the shape of the camera certainly has its advantages, in some aspects it is also a little less practical than more traditional cameras. Still, there are not too many external controls and they are all clearly labelled and placed sufficiently far apart to make them practical for most people. As long as you are careful not to let your left-hand fingers stray into the lens' field of view.

Seeing that images captured with the Sony DSC-T1 all produced excellent colour and saturation and were easily good enough to be printed at sizes up to A4 at high resolution, we have to conclude that this is a serious camera after all. It is less suited for recording family events because of its limited flash range and persistent red eye when using flash indoors. However, snapshooters and more advanced photographers who are looking for an extremely compact quality camera, to record their holiday adventures or take with them on their travels, could do worse than put the Sony DSC-T1 high on their list of likely candidates. We are sure they won't be disappointed.

Professional Review Summaries
    Click on stars to exit Digital Camera HQ and read full review text
    With a 5-megapixel imager, excellent image quality, small size, light weight and good-looks, the T1 would make an excellent camera for recording your vacation travels (Steve's Digicams review)
    The Sony DSC T1's small size and large 2.5" LCD screen make it both fun and easy to use. Images taken outdoors are excellent, and the movie mode produces very nice results. Two drawbacks include the T1's high price and consistent redeye in flash shots.

The Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T1 ($550) is an ultra-compact camera with a 3X zoom lens, 5 Megapixel CCD, and large 2.5" LCD display (Digital Camera Resource review)
    A mixed review of the Sony DSC-T1: While its slim design gives it a "wow" factor, and its image quality is decent for such a small camera, the T1's LCD is very hard to see in low light conditions, the flash produces serious redeye, and it has almost no manual controls.

google_ad_client = "pub-3864871051144485"; google_alternate_color = "FFFFFF"; google_ad_width = 468; google_ad_height = 60; google_ad_format = "468x60_as"; google_ad_type = "text"; google_ad_channel = ""; google_color_border = "FFFFFF"; google_color_bg = "FFFFFF"; google_color_link = "3333CC"; google_color_url = "008000"; google_color_text = "000000";

Digital Camera HQ User Reviews

my favorite toy (Digital Camera HQ user review)
    This camera is fun to use and always elicits comments from onlookers. I'm rough on all my gear and the Cybershot has held up well. I use it for shooting concerts, skateboarding, the city and everyday weirdness. Highly recommended!!

Even Drunk Pictures Are Excellent (Digital Camera HQ user review)
    My girlfriends and I tend to party from time to time and take our little Sony DSC-T1 everywhere with us! We even named her "Lolita" because of all the attention she receives. Whether one of us is intoxicated or not, we have not had the misfortune of having many "blurry" photos. The camera is sleek and chic and I couldn't imagine having a "Night Out" or going on one of our many adventures without her! Excellent camera!!!

It's really intersting... (Digital Camera HQ user review)
    It's really interesting to read the published reviews on Sony DSC-T1. One says one star only, second says it's great... Here's something I'd like to say to this: I've bought the T1 in July 2004 and the only thing got broken since then was the LCD - but this was actually my fault! I heard about people having "crazy spots" on pictures taken by this camera. It happened to me sometimes too, but only on close-ups with flash (which are generally not recommended). There are also blurry picture results when I lend this camera to someone. Please note that your hand must be really calm to make clear shots with this device (due to the size and thin shaping). But one gets used to it. The only aspect not to give all the five points to this model is the flash and low-light-condition photography at all. It's sometimes complicated to get nice faces indoors when these are 3m distant or so (red-eye is often the case). But again: consider the camera's size please. I'm sure there had many defect pieces left the factory (extended warranty speaks for itself) but I say: If you have a functional one, don't give it ever away! Four Stars+ is my final statement.

Very tiny, takes excellent pictures, though they can be blury.....if you aren't good at holding it steady. (Digital Camera HQ user review)
    I have read a lot of reviews saying it takes blury pics. It doesn't take blury pics, its tiny and weighs nothing which is why even the tiniest movement makes the pictures blury, if you use it with a tri-pod or set it on a desk or something you will never see any bluring, all you have to do is breath controlled breaths and focus on the camera and your pictures will come out clear, have already taken 15 pics with it and only first 2 were blury. Very easy to use and I got it for a real bargain, 298 at radio shack with labor day savings! :D I am very happy with it, I also got a 256MB memory stick and I have a 512MB one for my PSP which I can use in a pinch so I have really no reservations about this camera, if you can get it cheap go for it, the 500+ dollar ones are a bit overpriced in my opinion though I could have gotten it from newegg.com for about 500 shipped and with tax and with the 256MB memory stick so that was also a pretty nice deal as newegg usually ships out the same day and they always deliver things earlier than they say, definitely get this camera, 5/5

Excellent and Easy (Digital Camera HQ user review)
    Best small camera I have every bought, quality of picture after I have printed them is excellent. I carry it everywhere, the camera has been to Alaska and to Hawaii, my pictures are phenomenal, camera offers a lot of nice features. The best thing is it fits in my purse!

Good little camera (Digital Camera HQ user review)
    This is my first digital camera and at first I was a little skeptical it has a little bit of a weak battery and the flash is not so great but once you get the hang of it and play with the settings this is an excellent camera I went to my niece's wedding and it excellent pictures and I have a lot of quality indoor photos its just a matter of again playing with the settings and its not that hard. great camera how many people can say lets go!! and put the camera in your shirt pocket with no heavy duty bag or anything.An extra battery would take care of low battery weakness if your going on along trip. this camera is highly recommended

LOVE IT! (Digital Camera HQ user review)
    its a great camera with 6 minutes of video time (w/ 32MB memory), excellent photo quality, adjustment of flash, easy image uploads w/ a handy stand for the camera to rest on while uploading, very compact-excellent size to fit in a pocket and an option to adjust pixel size,i got mine from a wal*mart in Pennsylvania, USA for $190.00!!!!!! AN ABSOLUTE STEAL FOR A 5.0 MEGAPIXEL!!! i was originally going to purchase the T33 but the woman at the counter gave me the wrong camera, but it does exactly what the T33 does & for almost $200.00 less!!!!! i would suggest purchasing a carrying case for it b/c it has a large LCD screen & id be pissed if it got damaged! its really a top notch camera. :) i just wish the case to take pictures under the water wasn't $200! but the camera is well worth it!

Great Camera (Digital Camera HQ user review)
    This camera took some blurry shots at first until we learned to adjust certain things in the camera to take a great pic. You must read the manual & play with the settings! We are very pleased with it. We don't even bother with using the red eye stuff on the camera. We take care of it when touching up the pics before printing anyway. It's small with a big LCD screen, which is great! The flash is also weak, but for our needs it was a great investment! Again read the manual & play with the settings!

great camera (Digital Camera HQ user review)
    I own the camera for 1 year. i think it is a great tool in the right hands.many people complan that images are bad, as with any camera you need to keep it steady while you shoot,also you have to let autofocus do its work half a second it all that takes, i've shoot thousands of pic with it,of course some of them are out of focus,may be 5 percent, but don't blame camera KEEP IT STEADY.Also people complain about poor night time images, yes the flash is tiny,4-5 feet that all it's good for, another thing redeye yes the redeye reduction is weak,but i always fix it on computer, consider the fact that redeye makes you lose the moment it takes 3-4 flashes before the shot to get rid of redeyes, by that time the moment is gone i personally never use it on any camera, let fotoshop fix it .There also is a night time mode, works very good, as long as the camera steady.The features that this little guy has are awesome: magnifying glass for example,you could see things that are invisible with a naked eye, also a movie mode, fireworks,etc. It,s true that good things come in small pacages.There is no camera that does everything for you. not yet.The greatest thing about it is the size, the screen, and ease of use. keep up the good work sony.

Convenient, sleek, and incomparable (Digital Camera HQ user review)
    i am a semi professional photographer and own 4 cameras. everything has its faults, but this camera's advantages are far more superior than its disadvantages. as far as red eye is concerned, once i activated the red eye reduction option i no longer had any complaints. if your screen cracked within four days, consider investing in a $30 case. i have no complaints. if quality is what u seek above all else consider a more professional (and bulkier) camera.

Awesome camera (Digital Camera HQ user review)
    people who normally complain because of the same problem, red-eye, and lack of focus in zoom. well to back up sony, im pretty positive over half didnt even bother to look at the instruction booklet and read throughly through it to use this camera to its maximum potential. please take your time to read and understand how to use this camera thoroughly.
    and camera works great for me.

amazing (Digital Camera HQ user review)
    this camera has been through it all: backpacking trips, football games, pool parties...anything a high school student does, and has survived it all. not only has it survived my carelessness, but it has taken crystal clear pictures for my photography portfolio...i highly recommend this camera for its durability, how simple it is to get a good picture, and its size...fits in my back pocket, purse, coat...etc

this camera rocks (Digital Camera HQ user review)
    I think this camera was worth it. It takes pictures beautifully. As for the comments that gave a bad review I think if you learn the features it will make the camera a better gadget for you. Just read the manual and I think you will feel differently. All in all I can't complain.

Amazing quality and convenience (Digital Camera HQ user review)
    Movies from this little camera are absolutely wonderful quality. An upgrade of memory makes this a perfect camera to take to any event, on any trip....snap shots and movies, indoors or out have been great quality. Im highly impressed by every function of this camera, a real user friendly take it along anywhere camera.

Best camera yet (Digital Camera HQ user review)
    I have never had luck with past cameras. This one is great! I take it everywhere. It has many settings depending on the situation so expect to read the manual or you will get crappy pics, especially indoors or dark places. I've gotten loads of great concert pics and those places are dark! A hard case is highly recommended (found a custom made one to fit it on ebay for under 20 bucks) or expect to ruin the screen. Best investment we made on a digital.

I Love this little camera (Digital Camera HQ user review)
    I am a Flight Attendant and I take this camera everywhere... I bought it in May 2004, so I have had it a year.....Pictures have been very very sharp...I have never had a red eye problem (turn on the red eye reduction button). Some indoor pics. have been off color, but I found if you set the flash indicator with the circle around it and leave the camera on auto, this seems to help..Zoom can be fuzzy, you need a very steady hand...I have close-ups of flowers that are beautiful, colors are bright, and people photos have always been very clear...When my photos have been bad it has been my mistake, not the camera...I can not say enough good things about this camera...Also, my friends bought this camera too and they love it as much as I do....Thanks Sony...

Top Camera (Digital Camera HQ user review)
    I really do not understand all the complaints. The Sony T1 is a sexy "little" camera with some very innovative design features which takes great pictures. I have used it in low light and the images are excellent. So what if they don't look brilliant on the screen at the time and there is red-eye. That is what editing software is for. I have used it on mountainbiking trips when I've fallen hard and the camera is still perfect. This is a camera that is compact in the extreme. You cannot expect to have power flash, 20 times optical zoom, 16 megapixel sensor and battery life to support it all in a package this size. There are obviously going to be constraints but in my humble opinion they do not limit the cameras ability to do the job. It is probably the best camera available in the niche and if anything happened to mine I would buy another...

Great little camera! (Digital Camera HQ user review)
    I have several digital cameras ranging from 3.2 mg to 12 mg. and I am far from a professional. However, I take photos every day at my work, and am pleased with the size and features of this camera. I am able to take shots of people who don't realize they are having their picture taken, and of homes during home visits. The quality of the photos taken are great for my purpose. Lots of pictures daily. I bought my camera as a display model, and except for a model label that is coming loose, I have never had a minutes trouble with the camera. I like the way it shuts off by sliding the lens cover in place.

THIS CAMERA IS HAVE NEAT FACTORS TO IT (Digital Camera HQ user review)
    I notice a lot of people are having complains about this camera and a few people are loving it. Well first of all in my opinion, this is an awesome camera for it SIZE. Can anyone compare something with a matching size that can out perform this camera by far? The reason why everyone is giving this camera a bad rating is because they are comparing it to camera such as the Sony P00 (THAT IS A 7.2 MP!! COMPARING WITH 5.1). Not only that, but I notice most ultra compact camera doesn't even have this kind of Megapixel except for the exilim but that one get bulkier as the MP get higher. The Canon SD is a good comparison and i have to admit the Canon is great but again, I just want to remind most viewer that this camera is one of the first world most compact camera so please if you are into quality, i would recommend a bigger camera. Don't attempt to search for a small camera with super quality pictures. But if you are looking for a FUN, COMPACT, SHOWY camera, this one is the right one for you. For a small size it's awesome with all the great features that cam be compare to most advance digital camera out there. YET it's simple to use and very flashy in front of people. So I hope the viewers satisfy with the choice they make for a good camera of their own taste.

Best Camera Ever (Digital Camera HQ user review)
    After reading all the bad reviews here, I felt compelled to write and let you all know this is the best camera I have even had. Exceptional quality, fantastic 2.5inch screen, no focus issues at all, really quick start up (which is a huge plus), very stylish. My boyfriend is a photographer and he was constantly amazed at the quality of pics and range of menu options.
    I got pick pocketed while traveling in China and lost it...and very much want to buy another (though interestingly there are none to buy on ebay - is it because people don't want to part with it??) A really amazing camera.
    Though a point to the side...you do need to have a steady hand to get good photos. When I first got it, images were blurry - but found out soon enough it wasn't the camera - but me!
    A really really brilliant camera.

One of the Best Camera I had (Digital Camera HQ user review)
    This camera takes good pictures. I captures many special moment pictures of my son when he is 4 months old until now. So I travel every where with it now. It is always in my purse. I had two other digital cameras but this one is the best.

No red eye! (Digital Camera HQ user review)
    I just got this camera and I can't stop taking pictures. I read the directions, turned on the red eye reduction option and have had no problem with the red eye, like so many others have stated. It takes beautiful indoor pictures whether close up or far away. So glad I bought this!!!

Who else wants a camera that can endure a year in the desert? (Digital Camera HQ user review)
    My brother just got back from Afghanistan - he worked on a helicopter for the army. He took thousand of pictures and hours of video - which he edited using the included software, and he knows nothing about video editing.

He told me the reason he was able to get so many great shots was because he could grab and turn on the camera so quickly. It literally is ready to go in a second - it's amazing. There are no moving parts, so it's instant. My pentax digital camera takes forever to prepare for a shot, and by the time it's ready, the moment is gone.

I noticed some of the pictures were a little blurry - but that could be because it spent a year in the desert - and those pictures were taken hanging out of the door of a helicopter. The temperatures ranged from below 0 in the winter to 130 in the summer.

All in all, pretty impressive.

Practice makes perfect (Digital Camera HQ user review)
    This camera has specific uses. I have been impressed with the outdoor pictures, whether near or far. When you take indoor pictures, it takes practice.....watching back lighting, glare etc. I have had good results indoors.

Excellent snapshot camera! (Digital Camera HQ user review)
    I don't understand the people who complain about this little camera. Yes it's expensive. Yes, there is red eye when you use flash on people at 4 feet away. They make software for that! This isn't a DSLR. It's the sort of camera you can put in your pocket and carry it with you where ever you go. I've carried it in my pocket for about 6 months and the size and speed is perfect for it. Right now I have 3 other cameras and this one isn't designed to replace them all. Hence the lack of things like manual focus capability, shutter priority, aperture or whatever. I'd say that it's designed as an ideal second camera, to fit in your pocket, so can get photos you wouldn't otherwise have gotten because you don't want to carry your DSLR everywhere you go. SNAPSHOTS people!!! The LCD screen is big. i.e., it'll break easily, so don't drop it or put it in your pocket with your keys. If I were Sony, I'd have put an LCD protector on it, especially on a pocket camera like this. But I'm not Sony, so I'm careful with how I carry it. For snapshots, the ideal setting is auto everything, but the camera does do other stuff in the way of presets. The magnifying glass setting is amazing for ultra close up macros. The color is near perfect to my eyes, especially in outdoor shots - the main reason I purchased it. It has it's limitations, but don't let that scare you away. If you're looking for a pocket camera to carry with you everywhere you go, this one is very capable.

Wonderful Camera (Digital Camera HQ user review)
    It has be nothing less than superb! I don't know what everybody is talking about when they say it breaks easily. I take mine with me wherever I go...everyday! Yes, there is red-eye, but iPhoto takes care of that for me. Only drawback...I need a bigger memory stick.

Great Vacation Camera (Digital Camera HQ user review)
    I have had excellent results with my Sony Camera. I will say that outdoor shots are not quite as clear, but overall the camera takes excellent pictures. I would highly recommend this camera for your vacation shots.

Best digital camera I ever owned (Digital Camera HQ user review)
    All I would like to say is that the DSC-T1 camera is the most easy camera to use and I love the quality of the pictures that it takes. whoever is giving it these bad reviews does not know what the heck they are talking about. even a cave man could use it, {just kidding.. I love it thanks

Brilliant little camera (Digital Camera HQ user review)
    This camera is the best thing since sliced bread, excellent image quality without having to play around with it, just point and shoot and this little genius does the rest for you. Plenty of scope for the seasoned photographer to really get the best from it, inc multiple flash settings to combat red-eye, only two negs come to mind, no web cam capability and lack of travel case as standard as you would expect from a camera in this price range.

Its all about what you look for in a camera! (Digital Camera HQ user review)
    I have read many reviews of the Sony DSC-T1. If you discount the angry people who have experienced quality issues due to manufacturing (all cameras have issues like that and it is frustrating, can't blame the camera!)... in addition to those who simply are unhappy because they purchased the wrong camera for themselves .... I believe you would be left with very satisfied camera owners! I love mine! If you compare this camera, component and feature to component and feature to those similar you will find that it is a bit more expensive, however, it is slim, sleek and sexy... you got to pay for that! I purchased it because it was small with a nice sized screen... and because it was easy to whip out and use without fumbling around (just as the commercial suggests). Picture quality is great as far as I'm concerned.. I really do not care to fiddle with my own adjustments of color, light, contrast etc... What I wanted was a cool looking camera that enabled me to take crisp shots without having to adjust all the little features that professionals deal with! I do believe that the camera is capable of being adjusted, manipulated, etc, if you choose, but can also be set on automatic if you choose to be less interested in the details which truly do not come into play for what I believe this camera was intended. Additionally, people should remember that in this digital age, it is not only the camera that will dictate the user happiness; the peripherals are quite important. I have an iMAC G5 computer which has great software for importing, maintaining, retouching, etc. my photos/movie clips. The Sony comes with a docking station which I have hooked up on my desk and within minutes of taking a photo or returning home with a camera filled with pix, I can have them fixed (red eye reduced, cropped, rotated, etc.), emailed, printed or published to my website for family and friends to enjoy! Truly amazing! For the photo enthusiast who wants a sexy camera that is perfect for capturing the everyday moments.. this is a great camera! I am quite sure that I will never even use the majority of features with which this camera came.. however, its nice to know they are there if I feel like taking it to the next level... Hope this helps in your decision.

I Love IT! (Digital Camera HQ user review)
    It takes great photos and it can fit in your pocket!!!!!!!!!!!

Its small size mean you always have it with you (Digital Camera HQ user review)
    This is a great camera. I have previously used Nikon SLR's and a Minox 35mm and since getting the DSC-T1 I have not used them once. The 35mm cameras are better quality and have greater creative possibilities but the ease of use of the Sony and its small size mean you always have it with you. Also, the Pictbridge feature means you can make photographs [and I mean proper photographs] direct from camera to printer without needing a computer. You can crop the photos in the camera using the 'Trim' function and then print the cropped shot direct to printer. I use the Canon CP-330 printer which uses 6x4 paper and the results are excellent. Also, the Sony allows you to choose whether you want Sepia or colour - you'd need 2 SLR bodies for that. The video feature is also good - high quality and a good little mike - playback is with sound on the camera. What's the downside 1]quality is not the same as 35mm but until you get to about A3 you won't see it so practically the quality is as good 2]no tripod bush but there is a case made by Sony which has a bush in it so that problem can be solved 3]it's expensive compared to others but it's the best thing around 4]weak flash - you can get round this by using a slave unit which augments the flash but it's ok on its own for parties 5]battery life is about 1 1/2 hours which isn't much so you need to be careful or get a spare

quality small camera (Digital Camera HQ user review)
    i have 3 digital cameras 2 fuji 1 kyocera all pretty good ,sony very good compact pop in shirt pocket ideal when motorbiking, picture quality very good easy to use.

Easy to Use, Pocket-sized, Convenient Camera (Digital Camera HQ user review)
    I recently took this on a 16 day trip to Italy and was extremely pleased with it. The size is perfect for slipping into a jeans or shirt pocket, it isn't bulky or heavy, and for the most part, my pics came out very well. The only problems I experienced were when I accidentally pressed a setting when placing the camera in my pocket. This occasionally would cause the mode button to move to video. This caused me to get a few short videos of my shoes or the inside of my pocket, but was not a problem overall. The large screen was an advantage to me, as it helped me decide on my shot angles. I take lots and lots of shots, and the camera was able to keep up with me. The user's guide gives you tips on saving battery power, too. I ended up taking an extra battery, so I could click to my heart's content each day. I was able to click a shot of every art work, ruin, or scenic place using a 256 card, but carried an extra 128 card which I sometimes used. The reason I needed both is that I'd decided to take every pic with the highest quality 5 megapixel setting. I was pleased with my pics and my travel companions liked the results.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Pfew....Thanks Oz!!! I have to find some time to read all this but I certainly will!!!

BB
    Last edited by Master of G; February 12th, 2006 at 11:39.

Hey Ozz... no doubt great reviews...in fact you assisted in making my mind up. the lady and myself were out and about when we were discussing the purchase of a new digital camera.... i suggested we check the reviews online, and there is your post! :-D maybe you can educate me on the process of transfering photos from photobucket, to post on the forum? i make a mean lobster pot pie... but when it comes to this stuff...

Hi Dev -

I used to always direct link from my website, but have been using imageshack for this forum..

Their used to be a XXX magazine in Australia named "forum".

Have you heard of it?

ALl the best - ZZ

LOL :-D ... Hey Ozz... no i havent had the honour of reading such fine material.. :-D :-D I did work with a waitress who was from Melbourne.... Man was she hot!!!! so when i go to" manage files" from this forum... where will i have the option of accessing pics i have posted at photobucket??

Wink Re: What camera is best for those close-up pics?

Hi Master,

I use the Canon G-5. Also a 5 MP camera, with loads of whistles and bells on it. It has been replaced by the G-6 for a long time, which has even more features.

I think there are two serious brands on the digital photography market. These are Canon and Sony, but there are very good alternatives already. I'm planning to buy a Canon digital mirror reflex camera at the end of the year, since I bought my G-5 for the same price you can get an EOS model for now.

Cheers,

Sjors

There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Thx for the info Sjors.....I've taken pics with several camera's from friends...my own is a bit old so think I have to replace it to make those nice close-ups B-)

BB-)B

Hi BB-)b -

I think most modern digital cameras with a 5MP or above will take good photos, although the famous Carl Zeiss lens is important.

I have a few G-BROS cameras, although they are 2MP, but more for a collectable so I can't vouch for them..

I have an underwater SONY and another SONY which I can change the lenses on, althiough it's still new and I havb't used it..

The SONY DSC-T1 was the first small power house and I think the best. I have four to prove it lol.

I have a black which I always use for my G-Shock pics as it click's conveniently into it's cradle atop my desk.. Very simple to download photos.

It comes with a special programme and when you click the cam in the cradle, up pops the programme and downloads automatically onto your desktop/folder..

Very neat indeed.. I have two spare black's and one silver which my wife wanted but have never used..

The memory is important. It's best to buy a 2GB memory stick to save any mucking around..

I can also use my memory stick in my SONY video camera, pluse other SONY accessories such as the MP players, PSP, televisions, DVD players, etc..

So two things to remember. Ease of use downloading photos onto your PC, Carl Zeiss lens, and minimum 5mp.

Many cameras do not have a click in download cradle so you have to plug a chord in and lay the camera down on a surface..

I've taken a pic of my cradle which is always attacked to my PC.

All the best - ZZ

P.S. That website family tree is coming along nicely

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information