What digital camera is the G-Shock of digital cameras?

Thread: What digital camera is the G-Shock of digital cameras?

Question What digital camera is the G-Shock of digital cameras?

What is the best shock-resistant digital camera currently on the market?

What digital camera offers the best combination of affordability, durability and photographic precision?

In other words, what digital camera is the conceptual equivalent of a G-Shock?

Re: What digital camera is the G-Shock of digital cameras?

There are a few shock-resistant cameras.

Casio makes the Exilim EX-G1. There is also the Canon Powershot D10 and the Olympus Stylus Tough series.
    Simon

WTB - More wrists

I have an Olympus Tough 8000 and have dropped it, dunked it, got it caked in mud, etc... and it still works. It is my go-to camera for day-to-day usage.

It does take good pics in full day light, and under water. Partial light however has issues with the flash exposure at various distances. Close up, overexposed, farther, not enough flash.

But, so far as taking a beating, I've had it in my Jeeps for over a year now, just tossed in the console through a lot of off-road miles. I'm not a stranger to digital cameras, and I know I'd have killed every other one I own with a fraction of the abuse this one put up with.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

There's also the Panasonic Lumix TS-1 and its upgrade model, the TS-2. As a bonus, both have the capability to shoot HD video.
    Last edited by Bogeyman; August 27th, 2010 at 06:50.
    DW-9051/2
    G-9200 Riseman
    G-9100 Gulfman
    G-9000MC-8D Mudman
    GW5600J
    GA-100A-9A

Sucks to be without a G.

There are a number of reviews on the web and in one of the many digi camera mags I've read which state that the Casio Exilim EX-G1 is not actually that good as a camera, or even as a particularly robust camera.

e.g. Casio Exilim G EX-G1 review -- Engadget
    David
    Ω Speedmaster, Explorer 214270, Sub 16610, Seiko Shogun, Pepsi Turtle, PRS-29B
    Steinhart OVM, Citizens: Ray Mears 2 BN0151-09L & BN2017-02E,
    & far too many G-Shocks

I have a Canon D10 and it has been unbelievable!

It's been diving with sharks, snorkling with whales, surfing, mountain climbing, kayaking, thrown around beaches, caked in mud and still takes fantastic photos!

I couldn't recommend it highly enough.

Here are a few shots it's taken...

I LOVE this camera! It's just gearing up for its next adventure now...

My requirements for a camera when I went to Asia were that it had to cost less than 200 bucks and it had to fit comfortably in my pocket so I could carry it all the time.
    I ended up with a Canon Powershot A1100. During my three month trip it was dropped on tile floors, concrete and even in a mud puddle. It had alcohol spilled on it and got banged up against temple walls and the odd door frame. Not extreme conditions but it took some hard knocks and held up admirably.

I also have the Canon D10. It replaced a previous film Canon underwater camera that I couldn't kill no matter what I did to it. I have used the D10 outside at -20, and had no issues with fogging up. It's been dropped and glopped on, and still takes great pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by over2land View Post
    I have an Olympus Tough 8000 and have dropped it, dunked it, got it caked in mud, etc... and it still works. It is my go-to camera for day-to-day usage.

It does take good pics in full day light, and under water. Partial light however has issues with the flash exposure at various distances. Close up, overexposed, farther, not enough flash.

But, so far as taking a beating, I've had it in my Jeeps for over a year now, just tossed in the console through a lot of off-road miles. I'm not a stranger to digital cameras, and I know I'd have killed every other one I own with a fraction of the abuse this one put up with.
    My wife managed to break her Olympus Tough 8000 slipping and falling on flat ground. The screen took the point of a rock right in the center. Worst luck ever.

It actually still works perfectly but we don't trust the water resistance any more of course.

Thread Information