What do you think of this model : GW 5000-1JF
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: What do you think of this model : GW 5000-1JF

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

What do you think of this model : GW 5000-1JF

Hi,

I saw this model on a web site and i very like it.

@

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Re: What do you think of this model : GW 5000-1JF

Hi, I have been longing to buy this watch for quite a while and there are few things making me think twice before pulling the trigger. So I would like to share it with you:

1. First of all, this is the flagship in the 5x00 line of Casio g shock, THE g shock. If you are a big fan of g shock, then you NEED to buy this watch no matter what the others say.
    2. Aesthetic wise, this watch is really beatiful. I like the all-black style of its front face, and don't even talk to me about the DLC coating and ultra-soft urethane strap (I have this strap for my GWM5610). The build quality is just not matchable (and very few g shocks which are made in japan I think)

However,
    1. It is expensive, and function wise an equal to a much cheaper model GWM5610, so you have no function gain to pay extra.
    2. It has some design contraversy, in particular the hard-to-press button. I don't own this watch so I cannot speak for it. The buttons on my gwm5610 are tiny but pleasure to operate. And for this "simple is the best" model you really don't have to press the button quite often.
    3. The viewing angle is said to be quite limited (compared to non-solar models), which I guess should be the same as GWM5610. I am okay to live with my GWM5610 but sometimes not satisfied with this, such as when I am driving or typing on keyboard.

I'd recommend looking through old forum posts about it, you will see tons of posts about it.
    But to summarise, it's an excellent watch 'as it stands' but, what makes it special is lineage and tribute to the original G-Shock ( DW5000C)- making it highly desirable for G-Shock enthusiasts and collectors.
    Some balk at the higher price, as lower priced models offer the same/similar aesthetics, function and features.
    Now is a good time to buy one, as demand has settled down a little and supplies seem to be steady.

Overall, highly recommended, but as with all things ultimately the choice is yours and you should buy it for YOUR own reasons.
    Last edited by Davidro; October 22nd, 2013 at 12:33.
    Alpha2422 likes this.
    ~~: Vintage Screwback & Classic/JDM G collector :~~
    Screwbacks {DW5000C.. {DW5200.. {DW5400.. {DW5500C.. {DW5600C-1, 1V, 9V, 9CV, 5600B-3V, 5600D-1.. {DW5700..
    {DW5000-1JF.. {GW5000-1JF..
    Illuminators DW5300 DW6600, DW6600B, DW6600G-9V, DW6695-A, DW069, Dw6900, DW6900BF, DW8300 DW8120
    Other Watches: Rolex 116300 ( DatejustII), Orient Conductor, Sandoz Submariner.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Classic G-Shock design, but a "beefed up" one (screw down back). I'd get one, but not right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sub4 View Post
    Classic G-Shock design, but a "beefed up" one (screw down back). I'd get one, but not right now.
    Sub4, do you think there is a danger that this model will be discontinued sometime later?

Thank you all !

Is not easy to choose !

The price is 340$ (239€) !

Quote Originally Posted by woshixiaozhu View Post
    However,
    1. It is expensive, and function wise an equal to a much cheaper model GWM5610, so you have no function gain to pay extra.

I agree with you. For example my local watchmaker sells a GW-9200 at a price of 138$ (100€) with 50% off included !)

Quote Originally Posted by woshixiaozhu View Post
    2. It has some design contraversy, in particular the hard-to-press button. I don't own this watch so I cannot speak for it. The buttons on my gwm5610 are tiny but pleasure to operate. And for this "simple is the best" model you really don't have to press the button quite often.
    With my Mudman is almost the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidro View Post
    I'd recommend looking through old forum posts about it, you will see tons of posts about it.
    It's a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidro View Post
    Overall, highly recommended, but as with all things ultimately the choice is yours and you should buy it for YOUR own reasons.
    Sure :)

Quote Originally Posted by herculelingenu View Post

I agree with you. For example my local watchmaker sells a GW-9200 at a price of 138$ (100€) with 50% off included !)

With my Mudman is almost the same thing.

After read your post and made some comments on THE gshock, I suddenly could not resist the seduce and made the long-waiting order from seiya 5 mintues ago. I blame you and myself!
    MCZK, riffraff, Chrisek and 1 others like this.

For all of those who wish to buy the GW 5000 and of course you herculelingenu, you shoud read first some of the previous threads that have been written for this watch that will certainly be really hepful for you.

But, if you are a bit lazy and don't want to read hundreds of posts, there are a few things you should consider:

This watch in my opinion, is the best looking G-Shock, just because it is very simple and elegant, thus you can wear almost all day, at all occasions, whether this is a sport activity, or a formal dinner at some restaurant. It is a screwback, solar and atomic and has propably the most comfortable strap of any other G-Shock.

However, its biggest disadvαntage, as woshixiaozhu has said, are the tiny and hard to press buttons. I don't own a lot of G-Shocks, only two, but I ended up giving this watch, because I simply could not withstand this. I really liked it a lot and I miss it, but because I am a person who likes function over looks in my watches, I now only use my GW 6900.

So, if you need to buy a G-Shock in order to use its alarms, stop watch and countdown timer a lot like I do, then perhaps this watch is not for you. If you buy it for its looks, then yes, go for it. You won't be dissapointed.

I now see woshixiaozhu that you already bought the watch. Congratulations and I wish that my comment will be helpful for you and others.
    Last edited by Savvas; October 22nd, 2013 at 14:11.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information