What to get the 8 year old

Thread: What to get the 8 year old

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What to get the 8 year old

My 8 year old son is coming up on his first communion, and I would like to get him a watch as his gift. My dad gave me a watch for my confirmation, and would like to continue the tradition. What suggestions do you have for his wrist? I haven't measured his wrist (so as not to spoil the suprise), but can maybe stealth it in somehow....

I don't think he would care whether it's digital or analog, just something that looks 'cool'. I think casio would come up with something that would be able to take a beating and still look respectable in a couple of years.

Let me know what you think.

Re: What to get the 8 year old

Mostly kids get a necklace with a pendant of a saint on it during their first communion, so a watch would certainly be a nice surprise. I guess a digital one would make a good choice for an eight year old since analog watches with chain straps would be too heavy. I can't think of a lot of G-shock models that would be small enough for a kid except for the basic dw5600 models.

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-G-Shock-Classic-Digital-DW5600E-1V/dp/B000GAYQKY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=watches&qid=1240899506&sr=8-1

Here is the updated GLX version

From the non g-shock models i would suggest this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-10-Year-...899569&sr=8-10

I would also suggest you take a look at the timex watches which are also pretty good.
    Last edited by pistolero; April 28th, 2009 at 08:28.

I second the opinion on the 5600, as your son may not care for highly advanced features yet. It's tough, reliable, and has that iconic G-Shock look.

Quote Originally Posted by bigolac View Post
    I think casio would come up with something that would be able to take a beating and still look respectable in a couple of years.
    Casio already did come up with something like that; why do you think this forum exists? A G-shock looks more respectable with each battle scar sustained.
    DW-9051/2
    G-9200 Riseman
    G-9100 Gulfman
    G-9000MC-8D Mudman
    GW5600J
    GA-100A-9A

Sucks to be without a G.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi,

Have a look at the G-Shock Mini's. I got a Black Mini 550 similar to this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-G-shock-mini...QQcmdZViewItem

My son is 5 and it is not too big at all. He loves it, however he only use it for the looks

Cheers,

Pieter

Quote Originally Posted by pietervn View Post
    Have a look at the G-Shock Mini's.
    I didn't even know they existed. Very cool!

Alex

Banned

The mini's are cool but he won't be able to wear them once he grows up.

Picture Re: What to get the 8 year old

Quote Originally Posted by bigolac View Post
    My 8 year old son is coming up on his first communion, and I would like to get him a watch as his gift. My dad gave me a watch for my confirmation, and would like to continue the tradition. What suggestions do you have for his wrist? I haven't measured his wrist (so as not to spoil the suprise), but can maybe stealth it in somehow....

I don't think he would care whether it's digital or analog, just something that looks 'cool'. I think casio would come up with something that would be able to take a beating and still look respectable in a couple of years.

Let me know what you think.
    I highly recommend the Casio DW-290. Doesn't have the G-shock label, but our experience shows it is every bit as tough as a G. Great classic module, customizable alarm, 24hr CDT and STW with current time displayed in all key modes, takes a pounding and looks really cool. Best of all, extremely cheap, we got ours for $35 a couple of years ago. Tested repeatedly underwater, all buttons pushed while submerged, dropped from 6 feet onto cement, no worries. My son is 7 and has been wearing this watch on and off since he was 5. Available online everywhere:

Currently $27 USD free shipping on amazon. Just about the best deal on a great digital watch you'll ever see. Period.

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-Classic-.../dp/B000GB1R8M

cheers
    Go Dortmund!

Funny - I let my almost 10 year old try on my Mudman last night to see if he'd like wearing a G. He thought it was cool, but of course way to big. I asked if he'd like something similar and he seemed interested. Maybe for his birthday in June.

The conversation came up because the velcro band on his Timex always comes undone when we're swimming in our community's lake. I figured something with a resin band would be perfect . Of course he's 60lbs soaking wet....so it might need to be a 5600 or something with similarly "small" form factor.

Let us know what you decide on!

quote=bigolac;1879080]My 8 year old son is coming up on his first communion, and I would like to get him a watch as his gift. My dad gave me a watch for my confirmation, and would like to continue the tradition. What suggestions do you have for his wrist? I haven't measured his wrist (so as not to spoil the suprise), but can maybe stealth it in somehow....

Let me know what you think.[/quote]

G-Shock & Sales Moderator DragonJade's Avatar

Have a look at this thread that was started the other day if you haven't already, it might be of use to you:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=257492

Get your WUS badge now from the WUS store.
    >> Support WUS by clicking through to our sponsors sites. <<
    >> Buying from a sponsor? Tell them WUS sent you. <<

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information