What has your experience been with Solar?
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: What has your experience been with Solar?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

I am in the market for a new Casio. It seems like some people love their solar watches, some people don't. While I like the idea of a solar rechargeable watch I also worry about how hard it might be in the future to get the rechargeable battery/cell replaced vs. a non rechargeable battery. What has been your experience and which do you prefer (solar vs. non solar). Thanks for any feedback.

Re: What has your experience been with Solar?

I have some solar and after some years the duration is ok, no battery drain. Atomic and solar are a must!

Watches: G-Shock Rangeman GW-9400 - Mudmaster GWG-1000
    ck40711 and yankeexpress like this.
    The best Casio G-Shock is the next one...

A solar cell should last a good ten years if kept charged regularly. I have six solar watches (four Casios, one Seiko, one Citizen) and all are given a sunbath once a week for a hour or two. That keeps them all topped up. I've had solar G-Shocks purchased in the late 90s that only lasted about four years, but I believe that was due to poor charging management and the fact that the solar panels were a little less efficient then.

Replacing a solar rechargeable battery is the same exact procedure as with that done with a G-Shock that requires a regular cell. The standard solar battery costs less than $20 on-line and can be installed in the watch with simple tools like a miniature screwdriver and a pair of needle-nosed tweezers. I would (and have) bought solar G-Shocks without any regrets whatsoever and encourage you to strongly consider the same.

Here are mine, outside for their weekly sunbath:

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 880
Size:  1.71 MB
    Last edited by Lee_K; February 19th, 2016 at 17:35.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have over 100 solar watches...Casio, Citizen, Seiko. Over the last ten years, six have "failed"...meaning that I have had to purchase a replacement solar battery, and replace the expired one.

The marketing slogan, "Never need another battery" is puffery. Occasionally you will have to replace a solar battery.

Now that we have buried Caesar...in my experience, it is an excellent technology. As I've noted, a few of mine have failed, but some are continuing to work after 15 years or more. They are not bullet proof, but in my experience they are bullet resistant.

I only buy solar watches now, and they must have either GPS or atomic synchronization. I know that there are others on the board that see matters differently, and we are all entitled to our opinions, aren't we :)?

Quote Originally Posted by ck40711 View Post
    I am in the market for a new Casio. It seems like some people love their solar watches, some people don't. While I like the idea of a solar rechargeable watch I also worry about how hard it might be in the future to get the rechargeable battery/cell replaced vs. a non rechargeable battery. What has been your experience and which do you prefer (solar vs. non solar). Thanks for any feedback.
    Last edited by frhoads; February 20th, 2016 at 00:39.
    Time4Playnow and jay_dub like this.
    /Forrest

Changing the battery in a solar watch isn't much more difficult than "standard" battery changes: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f43/how...ery-41076.html

Considering how many hundreds of thousands of solar watches Casio has made in the past 15 years or so, those batteries should only become MORE available in watch repair shops and elsewhere in the future. Currently these batteries are only about $5 from watch supply sites like Pacparts. (Even in an absolute worst-case scenario, even if companies DID stop manufacturing these batteries for some unknown reason, it's relatively easy to disable the charging circuit and install a "normal" battery instead.)

From everything I've read around here over the past few years, the general impression I've gotten is that people who love their solar watches seem to:

• only own a few solar watches OR understand that owning too many means that some won't get enough "wrist time" and will need to be charged occasionally,
    • have read and understood the owner's manuals OR have the common sense to realize that "solar panel with the surface area the size of a fingernal" plus "battery large enough for almost a year of operation with no exposure to light" equals "watch will not go from 'low' to 'high' in 20 minutes." The batteries take a long time to discharge, which means that with such a small solar panel they're going to take a long time to charge, too!
    • work outside OR have outdoor hobbies and seldom (if ever) need to do anything to charge their watch(es) besides wear it/them

People who DON'T love their solar watches generally seem to:

• have too many solar watches and actively dislike the fact that they occasionally have to charge the watches they don't wear often,
    • live too near the Arctic Circle where the sun's rays are weaker OR live in places where the weather is often cloudy,
    • haven't read the charts in the owner's manual, have worn their new watch outside for only one hour and wondered why it's still on "medium," then have come here to ask "why?" and gotten a chart from their manual posted in reply,
    • work indoors AND have indoor hobbies but still bought a rugged solar G-Shock for their excursions to the gym

I currently DO own too many solar G's and Pathfinders -- seven different models and duplicates of most of them -- but I understand that "too many solar watches" equals "not enough 'wrist time'" for all of them to stay on "high" without a little maintenance. Since I started keeping track last year, I've found that MOST of my solar watches will stay on "high" for six to nine months at a time while the watches that I DO wear most often stay on "high" year-round. When I notice that one or two have dropped to "medium" I'll park them outside for a day in the sun and they'll stay on high for months at a time again.

With some of Casio's earliest (1990's and early 2000's) models there apparently WERE some issues with battery life, but most threads I've seen here indicate that was more of a problem with the batteries themselves, which has apparently been fixed -- there are plenty of ten-year-old solar G-Shocks that are still going strong on their original batteries!

Useless here in the UK, it's always raining!
    Last edited by CMSgt Bo; February 19th, 2016 at 18:06. Reason: we get it without the profanities, it rains a lot there

My experience with Solar has been limited to two watches, a Casio Pathfinder and my new Mudmaster. I have had the Pathfinder for several years and has never been my daily wear watch. I have generally worn it while doing yard work, hiking, camping, at the water park, etc. When it isn't on my wrist it is sitting on a shelf in a dark closet and generally goes into power save mode until the next time I need it. I have been very slack on keeping it charged, but it hasn't been an issue. It has always been ready to go when I need it and seems to charge pretty well when outside, especially in the Summer. If I only get 8-10 years out of the battery, I'm ok with that as it is still a lot cheaper to replace than the service bill on any of my mechanical watches.

I just went to grab my Pathfinder to take a pic of it with the Mudmaster and it is at full charge. It was sitting inside a suitcase in my closet where it had been since a trip to Vegas a few weeks ago and I didn't even wear it in Vegas. How it is at full charge I have no idea, but it is a good illustration of how well Casio's power management works on these watches as I have barely worn that watch since last Fall.

My Mudmaster will be a different story. It hasn't left my wrist since I received it earlier this week. When it arrived it was at a Medium charge and is now at full charge from just wearing it, mostly inside. This watch will see a ton of wrist time and is even making me consider selling off some of my watches like the JSAR that just won't get much use anymore. I doubt that I will see this watch fall below a full charge again. As big as it is, it is my most comfortable watch to wear.

Given the choice, I would always prefer solar over non-solar, but it isn't my primary concern when buying a watch. If I can extend the time between battery changes, that's a big plus in my book.
    Wolf888 and DDickson73 like this.
    Seiko SBDC061
    Seiko PADI Samurai SRPB99
    Rolex 16610 Sub
    Rolex 16600 SD
    Steinhart Ocean Vintage GMT
    G-Shock GD400-MB
    G-Shock Mudmaster GWG-1000-1A3JF
    Casio Pathfinder

I just have one solar, a Rangeman. I'm confident that by the time I need to replace the solar battery there will be another G-shock that meets my needs even better than the Rangeman and I'll upgrade.

I'm in the UK and a don't seem to have any problems keeping it charged to high.
    Last edited by LastStarfighter; February 19th, 2016 at 18:55.

Owned my first solar in 2007 and still have it. Have acquired several since then. All reliable.
    Rocat likes this.
    If you don't think every day is a good day, just try missing one. ~Cavett Robert

Thank you all for your feedback.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information