Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Riley
  • 1 Post By Mata
  • 1 Post By Kronos
  • 2 Post By Mitch100
  • 1 Post By idkfa

Thread: What is the Jason model?

What is the Jason model?

I know it's a g-shock with model number g001, but it's just so strange! It looks like it was only in production for a limited amount of time, it originally had a thermometer and temp gauge, but why is it so different from other g-shocks and why was it only in production for a short period of time? Anyone have any information on the watch? It looks so weird and info is limited, I'd be interested to find out more about the model like what was it's intended purpose and how was the design developed etc just a general overview

Re: What is the Jason model?

I would like to know more about how the original DW-001 Jason models came about back in 1994 too. They are an unusual design that maybe was a little ahead of its time.

I did here a story from someone at Casio about how the reissue G-001 Jasons came back to production in 2010 though. Apparently, Kanye West was visiting Casio HQ in Tokyo, and he found one of the old ones on display there. And he got really excited about it and wanted to make a new custom collaboration based on that. The Kanye G never happened, but his interest was enough to get Casio to start producing the new versions.

Certainly it looks rather strange

I only know it owes its nickname from Jason, the main character from the movie Friday the 13th due to the "mask" on the bezel.
    There's an endless choice of color combinations, i don't know nothing about its technical features
    stratg5 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Chrisek likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stratg5 View Post
    I know it's a g-shock with model number g001, but it's just so strange! It looks like it was only in production for a limited amount of time, it originally had a thermometer and temp gauge, but why is it so different from other g-shocks and why was it only in production for a short period of time? Anyone have any information on the watch? It looks so weird and info is limited, I'd be interested to find out more about the model like what was it's intended purpose and how was the design developed etc just a general overview
    The G-001 is indeed now out of production, though there are still plenty around as the basic models were pretty high production ones. The rarest is the limited edition G-001-2JF and this runs pretty expensive.

The model is basically a reissue, with a different module, of the DW-001 from 1994. This had radical looks (ugly!) and indeed had a thermometer and temperature record keeping.

There seems to have been far fewer DW-001s made compared to the reissue, as the radical (ugly!) looks probably depressed sales. Of course because there are less around, ones in good condition fetch far more than the equivalent G-001s.

The look does grow on you though and I have a few.

Mitch
    stratg5 and Chrisek like this.

Man this watch is fascinating! Youtube user fwupow did a review of the watch and it's features, both the original and the re-release (by the way is he a user on here?). That's really interesting about kanye, I'm guessing the watch is just a design that was created in the 90's and didn't do well so they discontinued it until the re-release but it's so interesting

Quote Originally Posted by stratg5 View Post
    Man this watch is fascinating! Youtube user fwupow did a review of the watch and it's features, both the original and the re-release (by the way is he a user on here?).
    Yes, he is a member.

cheers, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

I wish they included a thermometer and the sunrise/sunset functions. I would own one if that was the case, unfortunately, the re-issue just feels like a facade.
    stratg5 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by idkfa View Post
    I wish they included a thermometer and the sunrise/sunset functions. I would own one if that was the case, unfortunately, the re-issue just feels like a facade.
    Totally! I'm disappointed they've done away with the sunrise/sunset functions. For those that live near a beach, tide and moon graphs are good, for those that live near a mountain altimeter is good, but for all of the rest of us, really sunrise/sunset is one of the most valuable extras in a watch.

i regret not picking up the yellow/red one when it was released at the local Macy*s

Thread Information