What makes G-Shock a true youth brand?
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: What makes G-Shock a true youth brand?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

What makes G-Shock a true youth brand?

Ok. After seeing two threads about how wrist watches are obsolete i came with following reply:

"+1 Talking about obsolete.
    Even if current view of market is obsolete and in 20 years into the future whole watch industry will be different so ...
    Tech goes in life cycles as well as fashion. So let enjoy the show.
    LPs by the way make more money in sales than CD, in US not anywhere else... so something obsolete in one place may be totally in different state in other.
    People started to check time on cellphones when they been cellphones not smartpphones and dumb phones. So?
    It like 20 years ago. These worries are not new. Younger people been blamed since before pyramids. Despite the fact we, they are eating all things left including fact there is no money left to indulge in luxury wristwatches.
    It like sports cars .. you usually see baby boomer driving one not young cool dude (unless it Subaru impreza WRX). So sports car obsolete or younger people should be blamed for inability to afford them in today's world?
    I love watches but in some sober way. You realize that unless you buy into story there is no point in paying all this dough especially for stories you can't sell to anyone else around you?
    So modern marketing for younger people is
    a) affordable
    b) disposable
    c) fashionable (curse word around here)

Look at the Timex/Fossil/Casio these are true younger generation brands.
    Can you tell what they do to appeal to younger people?
    Something Swiss brands mostly don't do?

The only way to sell expensive watch to younger person is to catch in some sweet economical spot and to win competition against other desires. And later it gone...

Look at sales of new cars vs demographic. Who is buyer of new car? Can 18-35 year old people afford to buy new car? Unless you daddy is reach and mother ... (you know the rest)"

My post full copyright.

Of course i have my views and for what it worth until i passed 30 years i did not had expensive watch and my youth was filled with Casio (not necessarily G-Shock) for very obvious reason.
    #1 i experienced joy of transferring from marvel of mechanical soul to robust and convenient quartz. So having something you can beat the hell out and it still will be reliable, functional .. etc. is a good thing. So i am biased. Though i own mechanical watches.
    I listed several things above, but i like to hear and discuss (no mechanical vs quartz) what in your eyes makes Casio G-Shock one of the exemplary youth brands.

Yes, reason #4 they cool!
    wtma and yankeexpress like this.
    It should be special!

Re: What makes G-Shock a true youth brand?

Well there was a time when Casio is the only watch brand I could afford, so affordability was a big factor to me. And I always see Casio (digital in general) watches are very fashionable (a huge factor in my younger days), I had the F-84W my late dad bought me, a couple of Data Banks, calculator watches, and a Seiko SNK.

Funny thing is, that exact F-84W got me into the watch world. It was 5 years ago when I rediscovered that watch inside a drawer in my sister’s house. Dead, the strap was gone. I got very nostalgic of the memories of my dad, that I wanted to bring it back to life. In finding info on how to do it, I got myself into WUS. And now here I am, still lurking on WUS owning some 80 more watches. But Casio is very special to me.

IG: @wtma
    ---
    CASIO G-SHOCK GMW-B5000-1
    SEIKO PROSPEX MARINEMASTER PROFESSIONAL SBBN007
    GLYCINE AIRMAN VINTAGE 1953 LE 3904.14/66AIRMAN DC-4 3904.19H24/66
    DAMASKO LARGE AVIATOR MANUFACTORY CALIBRE DK15

TUDOR HERITAGE BLACK BAY 36 M79500-0004
    OMEGA SPEEDMASTER PROFESSIONAL MOONWATCH 311.30.42.30.01.006
    ROLEX OYSTER PERPETUAL DATEJUST 36 126234-0025 (GRAIL)
    JAEGER-LECOULTRE GRANDE REVERSO ULTRA THIN DUOFACE Q3788570 (GRAIL)

Casio is a workers brand

Apple is the brand for young people.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account, Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

10 reasons to dump facebook:

https://www.komando.com/tips/527072/...cebook-in-2019

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I don't know what moves young people these days.

It might be a generational thing, but to me most of them (NOT ALL) appear to be lost minds in some alternative reality.

They may test well, yet can't pass the an interview.
    Wanderer16 and Motorcycle Man like this.

What makes g-shock a youth brand? I don't know. But I can tell you the middle-age fogies like me like them quite a lot too! And I think there are many of us around here, so I'd be hesitant to label g-shock as a youth brand...
    Casio G-shock
    MRG-G1000B-1ADR, MTG-B1000TF-1AJR, GMW-B5000TFC-1, GMW-B5000D-1, GMW-B5000GD-9, GMW-B5000V-1, GMW-B5000G-1, GPR-B1000-1, GPR-B1000-1B, GWG-1000-1A, GW-9400-1, GW-9400DCJ-1, GW-9400BTJ-8, GW-9401KJ-3JR, GW-5000-1JF, GW-B5600FB-4JR, GW-B5600HR-1, GW-B5600BC-1B, GXW-56BB-1JF, GXW-56-1BJF, GW-3000M-4A, DW-5035D-1B, DW-5600BB (x2), DW-5600E (x2), DW-5600EG-9V, DW-5600CL-1, GW-M5610TR-7JF, DW-5600MS, GLS-5600CL-1, GLS-5600CL-3, DW-6930, GA-100MM-8A, G100BB-1A, GLS-6900-9JF, G-8900SC, GD-350-1B, GD-400-9CS, DW-6900MS, GD-120CM-4, GD-X6900CM-5, GLS-8900CM-2, GW-002KA.
    Casio Protrek/Pathfinder
    PAG-240B-2, PRW-2500R-1, PRW-3100FC-1JF, PRX-8000T-7AJF.
    Casio AE-1200 (x2)
    Casio W217H-1A
    MDV106-1A
    MTD1080-7A

Quote Originally Posted by Time4Playnow View Post
    What makes g-shock a youth brand? I don't know. But I can tell you the middle-age fogies like me like them quite a lot too! And I think there are many of us around here, so I'd be hesitant to label g-shock as a youth brand...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Casio specifically targets extreme sports crowd, rap crowd and some other target audiences. If you walk into skateboard store , surf store etc. and they happen to have watch stand... G-Shocks will be present.
    It's not like they target whole market. Nobody does.
    Collabs, fashion and limited editions. Yes we all love them and they bridge age gap.
    Apple popular because it has status symbol quality let say Tissot won't have.
    Yet G-Shock has brand recognition and it is accepted.
    Mr. Ibe talked about G-Shock appeal and for whom they design watches. Casio happen to be in position of covering many markets: top, middle and affordable and despite profit driven corporate goal they still offer these basic affordable and cool G-Shocks.
    Likely in early 90s Ibe and team realized they need to produce fashionable items without compromising substance.
    When i look at what motivated me to call Casio youth brand i was looking at these 50-150$ watches.
    For example negative screens. It easy to produce one and it was available since LCD was made so why they become popular only in recent years?
    It's clear shift from just function to experience.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/commen...her_of_casios/
    one of the things.
    G-Shocks in 2013 been directed to have blue-tooth, colors and evolve. Interesting to see it later how things worked out.
    My take away piece is Abe likes to create watches which emotional yet functional.
    My be i am bending here but as young man i liked my Casio because i was excited about it.
    I see singes of this drive to create excitement across affordable line of Gs.
    Last edited by Rocket1991; May 24th, 2019 at 20:28.
    WES51 likes this.
    It should be special!

i think only a pompous old person would call gshock a youth brand lol theyre no more "youth" than redbull is a youth brand. if anything, theyre a "get out and be active" brand.
    theres no real secret why they attract/target the market they do, its all inherit of a tough, durable, affordable and fun product. having on trend collabs and x games athlete endorsements helps a bit too ;p
    Wanderer16 likes this.
    the aritst formerly known as soulbridgemedia
    Whoisdisdointhissynthe tictypeofalphabetapsychedelicfunkin

IG: soulbridge_media
    IG: thegcollective

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1991 View Post
    Casio specifically targets extreme sports crowd, rap crowd and some other target audiences. If you walk into skateboard store , surf store etc. and they happen to have watch stand... G-Shocks will be present.
    It's not like they target whole market. Nobody does.
    Collabs, fashion and limited editions. Yes we all love them and they bridge age gap.
    Apple popular because it has status symbol quality let say Tissot won't have.
    Yet G-Shock has brand recognition and it is accepted.
    Mr. Abe talked about G-Shock appeal and for whom they design watches. Casio happen to be in position of covering many markets: top, middle and affordable and despite profit driven corporate goal they still offer these basic affordable and cool G-Shocks.
    Likely in early 90s Abe and team realized they need to produce fashionable items without compromising substance.
    When i look at what motivated me to call Casio youth brand i was looking at these 50-150$ watches.
    For example negative screens. It easy to produce one and it was available since LCD was made so why they become popular only in recent years?
    It's clear shift from just function to experience.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/commen...her_of_casios/
    one of the things.
    G-Shocks in 2013 been directed to have blue-tooth, colors and evolve. Interesting to see it later how things worked out.
    My take away piece is Abe likes to create watches which emotional yet functional.
    My be i am bending here but as young man i liked my Casio because i was excited about it.
    I see singes of this drive to create excitement across affordable line of Gs.
    He may design for the youth sports/music/style crowd, but if you walk into any high school today, the few watches you will see on a kid's wrist are only AW. The rest have no watch on and a cell phone in hand.
    WES51, kubr1ck, Byron2701 and 3 others like this.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account, Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

10 reasons to dump facebook:

https://www.komando.com/tips/527072/...cebook-in-2019

Yes we mostly middle aged here. But my introduction to G-shock was done by my university friend (years ago when i was far away from middle) who was really dieing to share his passion about indestructible watch!
    It should be special!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information