What is meant by "soothing to the eye"?

Thread: What is meant by "soothing to the eye"?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What is meant by "soothing to the eye"?

Hi, in a few reviews I've read of G Shocks, the reviewer commented the watch was "soothing to the eye." This sounds like an important criteria for a watch, but what exactly does it mean?

The only state created during the Civil War.

Re: What is meant by "soothing to the eye"?

IMO "soothing to the eyes" mean anything that is not harsh, brash, or loud; Something that is not of real bright color(s). I'm sure others will be along to offer their definition. Hope this helps.
    "O-M-G!! I am rich!... Silver in the hair, Gold in the teeth, Crystals in the kidneys, Sugar in the blood, Lead in the butt, Iron in the arteries, and an inexhaustable supply of Natural Gas. I never thought I would accumulate such wealth!!!"

Gone But Not Forgotten:
    Anonimo | Bali Hai | Ball | Benarus | Boschett | Breitling | Debaufre | Deep Blue | Doxa | DWatch| Enzo Mechana | Glycine | Halios | Helson | Marathon | Kobold | Korsbek | Kremke | MKII | Ocean7 | Omega | Orsa | Oris | Precista | Prometheus | Riedenschild | Steinhart | Seiko | Tissot | Zinex/Zixen

I know i've used it a few times to describe the GA150. After 20+ years of not wearing a watch i started to accumulate a lot of different gshocks to see what i like and what i don't.
    Going from nothing on the wrist to something was a change in and of itself. Now look how feature rich (to the eye) a lot of gshocks are (9300 mudman, 9200 riseman, aviators, heck even the gx56 has a lot of details to the eye) that i have found when i wear the 150 it is relaxing. Reading a magazine/newspaper paper vs computer screen if you will.
    That is my opinion, and if you are used to wearing watches, then maybe less valuable to you. For me, it is my "ginger" watch in between sushi plates :cool:
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Chrisek, I really like that GA150.

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

As I see it, "soothing to your eyes" suggests that the watch is simply easy to look at. This is different from attractive, handsome, sleek, cool, etc. A watch that isn't hard on your eyes is very readable and not crowded by unnecessary clutter. It's subjective, though. With some people, readability is very important. Others let style completely dominate, where being readable is definitely secondary or not important at all (like with a Dee & Ricky).
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

@ Xevious: exactly. And it absolutely is subjective.

@dead of night: here is the watch i'm wearing today which is very fun but not overly functional by any description.

Well I have always said If Demetre Chiparus sculpted a watch this G-5500-1JF would have been his first :). Art Deco and SO Sooothing %) -Ronbo

Quote Originally Posted by dead of night View Post
    Hi, in a few reviews I've read of G Shocks, the reviewer commented the watch was "soothing to the eye." This sounds like an important criteria for a watch, but what exactly does it mean?
    Something that doesn't overwhelm you with visual details, whether it's the design or the interface. In plainer terms, something that doesn't make your head throb, and that you won't get tired of looking at over and over again.
    DW-9051/2
    G-9200 Riseman
    G-9100 Gulfman
    G-9000MC-8D Mudman
    GW5600J
    GA-100A-9A

Sucks to be without a G.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information