What model is this G-Shock?
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By poeee
  • 1 Post By G-Shock Absorber
  • 1 Post By G-Shock Absorber

Thread: What model is this G-Shock?

What model is this G-Shock?

This is my first post on wus. I am incredibly new to G-Shock's and watches in general. I am wanting to buy my first G-Shock and am leaning towards the original style. I also thought it might be cool to find an old one and 'restore', whether it be to wear daily or not.

I came across this on a popular auction site. Unfortunately it comes as part of a package with another watch that I don't want. Before I bid and waste my money, could someone please confirm the model number, how old it is, and whether I should bother at all with it (especially considering i'm such a n00b). At the moment I only have a picture to go with. The gold makes it a little different I guess?

Davidro likes this.

Re: What model is this G-Shock?

Someone here will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's a (rare vintage) DW-5200C minus the bezel.
    lvt likes this.

lvt

Quote Originally Posted by G-Shock Absorber View Post
    Someone here will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's a (rare vintage) DW-5200C minus the bezel.

I think you are correct, it's definitely a 5200.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have no idea what this stuff is worth, so would I be advised to try buy it?

The main problem with that model is that Casio have long since stopped selling replacement bezels for them, and the originals have almost all succumbed to 'resin rot' by now. If you really dig the 'naked' look though, and you're not worried about snagging/bending the button pushers with daily use, then go for it. Otherwise if you've got your heart set on vintage, you might be better advised to look for say a 5600C complete with bezel. While cosmetically a very similar model, it's not quite as old, and thus doesn't command quite such high prices when sold complete with bezel.
    bizzotech likes this.

Do other model bezels fit this case?

Quote Originally Posted by poeee View Post
    Do other model bezels fit this case?
    I have a hunch that the answer is going to be no, but if you take a ticket and have a seat in the waiting area, you can browse our selection of late 90s Women's Own magazines until an expert is available to deal with your enquiry. You are currently number one in the queue.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Shock Absorber View Post
    I have a hunch that the answer is going to be no, but if you take a ticket and have a seat in the waiting area, you can browse our selection of late 90s Women's Own magazines until an expert is available to deal with your enquiry. You are currently number one in the queue.
    Do I get a non offensive yet boring radio station playing in the background, too?

Thank you very much for your replies so far! I can see this G-Shock thing becoming an addiction... and I've not even bought my first yet.

Quote Originally Posted by poeee View Post
    Do I get a non offensive yet boring radio station playing in the background, too?
    You get an Enya album played on a loop. Don't worry though, this place is full of proper experts so with luck a definitive answer will come before you start chewing off your own hands.

If you want to restore the watch to original beauty, finding one of the leftover NOS bezels will be the way, or as said, looking for a DW-5600C which is less (but only marginally, i think) sought after.

You could, if you want to wear it and 100% genuine is not your top priority, however get one of teh brazilian aftermarket bezels, which are quite good and totally ok for a wearer but not "museum" or "collector" quality.

Maybe you could even do both, find a good 5600c, put it´s bezel on your 5200 and put brazilian resin on the 5600c as a wearer?!

The aftermarket resin looks like that on a 5600C:

Thread Information