What is so special about 6900 Series G-Shocks?
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: What is so special about 6900 Series G-Shocks?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

What is so special about 6900 Series G-Shocks?

I read somewhere that it is Casio's best-selling series.

Compared to the 5600 series, it seems to offer nothing extra, except pie chart indicators instead of conventional ones, and makes the watch bigger just for that.

Is there anything else?

Not trying to be a smarty-pants, just trying to understand the popularity.
    Last edited by Smaug; December 21st, 2012 at 20:22.
    -Jeremy
    6-3/4" (171 mm) wrist

Re: What is so special about 6900 Series G-Shocks?

I can only assume it's the look and wide range of colours that appeals to so many. I personally don't feel anything for the series, but each to their own as they say. If we all liked the same things in life, it'd be pretty boring.

I have picked up 9 G-Shocks over the past 6 or so months. I find my G-Shock GW6900 frequently on my wrist. I like the looks and feel of the watch very much. Cheers, Bill P.

rocky, Smaug, Nightshift and 5 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think it's just such an iconic shape, and people like the central light button, which was a novelty back in the 90's I guess. I am not a big fan of them, personally, and I only have one at the moment.
    WillyLix likes this.

I just started in this hobby and have a few G shock watches, the majority are 5600 series. I just scored on a KRINK incoming and it will be my first 6900. Once I get it and try it on, I will see if I will be getting more. It just seems that most of the nice colllaborations seem to be 6900's.

Quote Originally Posted by Smaug View Post
    I read somewhere that it is Casio's best-selling series.

Compared to the 5600 series, it seems to over nothing extra, except pie chart indicators instead of conventional ones, and makes the watch bigger just for that.

Is there anything else?

Not trying to be a smarty-pants, just trying to understand the popularity.
    Well, compared to the 5600, it offered greater size and that over-used word "wrist presence" while still remaining comfortable on the wrist. In this era of MASSIVE watches, the 6900 doesn't seem as large as it once did. It offered a round shape -- which gave it a softer look (and, I think a less geeky look) than the 5600. It offered a 5th button -- right on the front of the watch to activate the illumination. That is easier and more convenient than having to reach over to the side.

Because of these features, it became over time, the single most recognizable (and iconic) G-Shock shape. That has, in turn, led to many, many variations in color, collaboration and even occasionally module. (The GLX-6900 basically has the great G-7900 module in a 6900 case.)
    Smaug, xevious, 40swords and 1 others like this.

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Not sure what is special about the 6900 series. To me it never appealed much.

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

Quote Originally Posted by Kronos View Post
    Well, compared to the 5600, it offered greater size and that over-used word "wrist presence" while still remaining comfortable on the wrist. In this era of MASSIVE watches, the 6900 doesn't seem as large as it once did. It offered a round shape -- which gave it a softer look (and, I think a less geeky look) than the 5600. It offered a 5th button -- right on the front of the watch to activate the illumination. That is easier and more convenient than having to reach over to the side.

Because of these features, it became over time, the single most recognizable (and iconic) G-Shock shape. That has, in turn, led to many, many variations in color, collaboration and even occasionally module. (The GLX-6900 basically has the great G-7900 module in a 6900 case.)
    Great points, all. I guess that's why you're the boss. ;)

On my 5600E, I didn't mind having to reach over to the side to use the light button. But I DID think it was a pain to have to use my fingernail for the ADJUST button to reset the chrono & timer. I guess that is avoided in the 6900.

Round is a good point too. Square went out in the 80s, for most things. Square is a more efficient shape for a digital watch, but that doesn't matter much, if no one is buying them due to the style, hehehe.
    -Jeremy
    6-3/4" (171 mm) wrist

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

It's just an iconic G-Shock design, as Kronos pointed out. You'd never mistaken it for anything else but a G.

But like Cal..45 said, it never really grabbed me. While I appreciate how some of the pie chart counters were eventually utilized for more useful purposes (like indicators for various settings and for charge level on solar models), the overall look of the watch is kind of dull. That's why I became much more drawn to the older GL-110 models, with screw back casing.
    Name:  Casio_GL-110_b&w_front.jpg
Views: 1837
Size:  201.9 KB
    G-fob, Sjors, dynosaur and 1 others like this.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

When I first got into G's, I didnt think as much of the 6900. But now as my collection has grown, I have warmed to it quite a bit and I own 5. I don't own any 5000 series because they are just a bit too small for me, not enough "presence" as someone said. The 6900 is a really nice size, not too big or small. Also for customizing, it proves to be ideal, with the amount and colors of resin available, faceplates and such.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information