What is it with watches?

Thread: What is it with watches?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

What is it with watches?

After giving the subject - ooh, five minutes thought, I've come up with the following. Naturally I've excluded anything to do with telling the time.

Status. The worst possible reason for wearing a watch. Nothing else needs to be said.

Image. Often related to status, but not necessarily related to wealth or position. If you're not sure people see you as you want to be seen, get a watch that identifies you as a man of action, cultivated aesthete, rational pragmatist, etc. The second worst reason for wearing a watch.

Technical appreciation. You just love the way things work or the way things are made, and want an example of ingenuity or craftsmanship (literally) close to hand. A perfectly acceptable reason for wearing a watch, but carries with it the risk of pedantic obsession. Communicate your passion and people may avoid you for fear of losing the will to live.

Distraction and focus object. My mind is full of bothersome stuff and I need some kind of release. I'll look at my watch. My mind is empty and nothing is catching my attention right now. I'll look at my watch. A natural impulse during the course of a day, but one that can be expanded to fill a large part of your life. You go from looking at your watch to looking at all the watches in the world.

And why watches? Because they're always there, and wearing them requires no justification. They're the worry beads, the decorated sword hilt, the netski of the modern world.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Re: What is it with watches?

------------------------------------------------------

the last paragraph really got me thinking !!!!! why all of a sudden, dude?
    "My watch buying policy reaches up to $29.99. PM me if interested" - Vintage

Hi Tribe

Great post They are a worry bead of sorts for me too. It is also the quest for the perfect watch, of course it can never be found.

A watch is something you always have with you, a trinket to play with when you have a moment to yourself, I think of mine as a kind of dummy/pacifier. I am never without a watch.

I keep my collection small, if I start feeling bogged down its time to sell a few.

The true test is which one hangs around the longest. I never buy a watch to be flash or for image, I'm older and wiser now. I am becoming fonder of pure tool watches which leans me at the moment to MIL style watches. They are pure function.

I'm even considering a pocket watch, I have one presented to my great grandfather by the King for winning at the Bisley Rifle competition in the early 20th century but it is in need of a rather expensive repair.

Another tool I have a soft spot for is compasses and pen knives, again it gives me pleasure to carry them.

Regards

Matt

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    After giving the subject - ooh, five minutes thought, I've come up with the following. Naturally I've excluded anything to do with telling the time.

Status. The worst possible reason for wearing a watch. Nothing else needs to be said.
    I somewhat agree. I'm just not sure at what time the watch becomes a status symbol, rather than just being a watch.

If it costs more than $500? More than $1000? Or even more than $5000?

I think it heavily depends on your direct environment. A beggar with a $500 watch is king, a person with a job would probably not call a $500 dollar watch something special.

There are social environments where even a $10.000 watch is "just another cheap watch"

So before one judges, one really has to consider the background.
    A $5000 watch is not really a status symbol for folks with lots of money, it is merely "normal".

Image. Often related to status, but not necessarily related to wealth or position. If you're not sure people see you as you want to be seen, get a watch that identifies you as a man of action, cultivated aesthete, rational pragmatist, etc. The second worst reason for wearing a watch.
    But Image sells Just look how well the Bond watches do.
    I even might say: Image is everything today. Every brand out there tries to create an image for itself so people can identify with their products. "Image" is the reason for a good percentage of ads we see every day: Bond wears an Omega, Rolex or Breitling watch and drives either an Aston Martin, a BMW or a Ford Mondeo.

Time... Remember when summer vacations seemed so endless... Christmas seemed to always be so far off in the distant horizon. Nowadays everything seems to come and go in the blink of an eye.

Working as paramedic for the last 10 years has made me realize how precious & valuable our time really is. Watches are kind of that symbolic reminder for me. Enjoy life everyday to the fullest... Live in the present second...

Quote Originally Posted by mansrow View Post
    why all of a sudden, dude?
    What prompted it? I was just gazing into the middle distance, and then I found I was looking at my watch. I do it all the time, but on this occasion asked myself why? The rest followed.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Quote Originally Posted by mattchrono View Post
    I'm even considering a pocket watch, I have one presented to my great grandfather by the King for winning at the Bisley Rifle competition in the early 20th century but it is in need of a rather expensive repair.
    What a wonderful thing to have.

Find the money, Matt, find the money...

its a jewelry that tells a time, some people call it art.

every time a person buys something to wear , cloth , hat , its tells them about who they could be , its a expression of them selfs with out saying a word...

Interesting post.

A long time ago I read something that said roughly "Show me a man's dog and I'll tell you what kind of man he wants to be." Not sure if that works or not but one might apply the same to watches.

Ah, image. At some point, whether you care for what others think of you (and you always will to some degree), you realize that you acquire possesions based mostly on what you think of yourself, how you see yourself. Your image of you. Before I pull the trigger on any new purchase I always ask, "Is this me?".

This applies only to used items - watches you'd wear. If you collect you know that purchasing watches you will never wear is part of the landscape. I have loads of watches that I bought only because they were rare or had a feature I wanted for the collection.

My two pennies.

Cheers, Greg

Quote Originally Posted by coredump00 View Post
    A $5000 watch is not really a status symbol for folks with lots of money, it is merely "normal".
    Ah, but then it's a 'socio-economic identifier' and that's related to status.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information