What would you consider as PRECISE quartz - Page 4

Thread: What would you consider as PRECISE quartz

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: What would you consider as PRECISE quartz

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Accuracy costs. Seiko and Citizen produce some highly accurate watches, but there's a premium to pay. Average quartz accuracy seems appropriate for a G-Shock. Because of the variation in quartz crystals some ordinary examples will be very accurate indeed, but that's just the luck of the draw.
    But again, what's the definition of accuracy? Earlier in the thread I cited a Citizen I own that is currently running +15 seconds a month, or + .5 second per day. There are 86,400 seconds per day and my watch is off by .5 of one second - that's pretty danged accurate! Even if it off by +5 seconds, that's still a very high accuracy factor.
    This is just a tribute.

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by igorycha View Post
    Why do people who are fond of cars would dream of even more powerful car though the reasonable speed in ourdays no more than 80 miles/hour

Why do people who love hi-end audio systems so crazy about frequency and purity of sound though average human ear can't make difference

Why do I want my watch be as close to perfect as possible?

And would you be this forum members if watch for you was just a measure of time between work and pub?
    Sure, there are high end watches for that purpose, but non-atomic standard quartz Casios are not that. Check out the High End Quartz (HEQ) forum here in WUS for more.

Be thankful that Casio is still including the trimmer screw in the movement so that you have to option to regulate it closer to zero if you desire. This is not a common feature in a quartz watch at this price. Even so, it still won't perform as good as the high end quartz as it will be sensitive to temperature changes.

And there is way more to a watch than just something to tell the time. It all depends on your priorities. How much are you willing to pay for the features you want. What features are you willing to give up for the ones you want because no single model has it all.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickG View Post
    But again, what's the definition of accuracy? Earlier in the thread I cited a Citizen I own that is currently running +15 seconds a month, or + .5 second per day. There are 86,400 seconds per day and my watch is off by .5 of one second - that's pretty danged accurate! Even if it off by +5 seconds, that's still a very high accuracy factor.
    I agree entirely. The super-accurate watches I am thinking of are accurate to that sort of degree in a year, but it's probably not possible to produce watches like that in great numbers and at moderate cost.

An ordinary quartz watch is accurate enough for all practical purposes, just as a car that can do 100mph is fast enough for all practical purposes. We can pursue 'ultimates' in many things but they're of little consequence in the real world.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

this idea is mostly fun fantasy, but i'd like to see a new g-shock feature temperature compensated timekeeping. i don't know how much physical space this requires. there's a semi-recent picture that i saw somewhere on wus where we see the interior of a compensated citizen, and it seems that the module to accomplish this was sizable. but what a neat thing for casio to consider adding to a more expensive watch. maybe casio could design it with a 'traveler' theme, for those wearers who are out of radio sync range often. or for those 'extreme' users who one day trek through snow and the next desert peaks, and the next, moutain tops.
    "It is easier to discover a deficiency in individuals, in states, and in providence, than to see their real import or value." - HEGEL

*SBBN019 and SBBN011 shrouded divers*
    The Spring Drive Landmaster SBDB003 -- My Apollo 17 Speedy Pro -- Shout-out to Konrad Damasko!
    Airwolf and Chronomaster hangin' out -- NATO nuts with DC66 and SBDX001 -- Two deadly Sinns

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by a-Tom-ic View Post
    this idea is mostly fun fantasy, but i'd like to see a new g-shock feature temperature compensated timekeeping. i don't know how much physical space this requires. there's a semi-recent picture that i saw somewhere on wus where we see the interior of a compensated citizen, and it seems that the module to accomplish this was sizable. but what a neat thing for casio to consider adding to a more expensive watch. maybe casio could design it with a 'traveler' theme, for those wearers who are out of radio sync range often. or for those 'extreme' users who one day trek through snow and the next desert peaks, and the next, moutain tops.
    This is a fun idea. The continued merge of computers and time keeping. Basically a computer regulated watch. Wouldn't help with DST time changes, though but would certainly inprove accuracy.

I just wish atomic reception or signal would improve where it would work all the time in all locations. At work I am surrounded by RC wall clocks that are completely pointless because nearly all of them can't get a signal through all the concrete. Can't really move them around like a watch.

my MTG1000 (with radio off) is good for +2-3 seconds in a week. not spectacular, but certainly good enough for a watch that sets itself every night.

for comparison, my Luminox (swiss quartz) gains about 1.3-1.5 seconds per MONTH.

RPF

Quote Originally Posted by nhoJ View Post
    Most generic quartz have specifications of +/- 15-20 seconds per month.

The high frequency quartz can run at about +/- 20 seconds per year.

Thermocompensated quartz runs at +/- 5 seconds per year.
    Garden variety quartz run from +-15s/m to +-60s/m. These are Casio specs. [Yes, the +-60 is a surprise eh?] Most people, however neglect to mention the specs are valid within a T range, typically a 30 C spread (5-35 C) or similar. A quartz will be consistently fast/slow month to month, so long it's at a constant T. The accuracy spec is a measure of how well it does over varying temperatures.

High F, well the +-20s/y applies only to Seiko 8Fxx. The watch must be worn >8-12 hours per day though.

TC, well, the standard spec is +-10s/y or +-5s/y according to the movement specs. However, they don't mean the same thing. It varies according to manufacturer in terms of the conditions under which they're spec-ed. Breitling warranties their SQ to +-15s/y (although they use Thermoline spec-ed to +-10), while the 2001 COSC quartz standard demands an average at 23 C to better +-25.5s/y. There are of course further timing specs to be met at 8 and 38 C but I shan't bore you further.

So the caveat is this. When it comes to quartz accuracy, temperature MUST be taken into consideration. It is quite meaningless to say +-15s/m, for e.g. without quoting the T range for which it's valid. It is also equally meaningless to say nobody needs a TC when my $5 cheapie was fast/slow by 5 seconds last year.
    Last edited by RPF; August 25th, 2009 at 08:27.

Whow. Is it possible to adjust G-Shock manualy? Seriously? Can I do it myself. Are there any pics how to do that?

And talking about money/feature+accuracy issue...
    I bought expensive automatic watch having sacrified features and accuracy just because I love and always dreamed of hi-end mechanic watch.
    And when I need features I use my Casio and if I need accuracy - I will radio Casio and then adjust them Right?
    <hr /><a href=https://forums.watchuseek.com/f78/watch-through-lenses-chronicles-one-obsession-638371.html target=_blank>https://forums.watchuseek.com/f78/wat...on-638371.html</a>

Moderator G-Shock Forum

Look here for adjusting a basic G:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=83153

Whow. Is it possible to adjust G-Shock manualy? Seriously? Can I do it myself. Are there any pics how to do that?

And talking about money/feature+accuracy issue...
    I bought expensive automatic watch having sacrified features and accuracy just because I love and always dreamed of hi-end mechanic watch.
    And when I need features I use my Casio and if I need accuracy - I will radio Casio and then adjust them Right?

Hmmm. My post was motivated by mine illusion that accuracy of most of quartz watches was much much more ahead of one of mechanic watches. And I thought that something wrong with my G-Shock when I discovered that it runs +20 sec...
    But if the +/- 15-20 sec/month is norma -
    OK, at least they invented that radio controlled adjustment - which is not so bad I guess.
    Actually, your illusion that accuracy of most of quartz watches is much much more ahead of one of mechanic watches is not an illusion at all, it's a fact....on average.

The vast majority of mechanical watches don't have the accuracy of your Breitling's 1 sec/day.
    Most mechanical watches will gain or lose a lot more seconds than that per day...more like about 10 sec./day (except on internet forums where everyone's mechanical watch has an accuracy of +/- 1 to 3 seconds/day ).

And at 10 seconds per day you'll be off about a minute every week, about 5 minutes off per month, about 1 hour off every year.
    But the average quartz watch is only going to be off about 15 seconds per month, about 3 minutes per year.

In 10 years time the mechanical would be off about 10 hours, while the quartz would only be off about 30 minutes.

30 minutes +/- off every 10 years.

I can live with that.

NOM
    Last edited by neveronmonday; August 25th, 2009 at 03:41.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information