What would you consider as PRECISE quartz

Thread: What would you consider as PRECISE quartz

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

What would you consider as PRECISE quartz

HiYa
    Usually I stroll around in mechanic-watch threads of this forum, but I wonder:
    what do quartz fans expect from their watch in the sense of timekeeping? I have a G-Shock

And this is my all travel, swimming, climbing whatever whatch. But recently I discovered that it was running about +20 sec fast (well, not sure when I adjusted it last time but no longer than 2 - 3 month ago) Frankly I was alittle bit dissapointed - I thought it should keep +/- 10 sec per year. What would you say? My Breitling runs aprx +1 sec/day and it is considered damn good for auto, but quartz...
    And what is the average timekeeping for radioadjusted Casio/ not Casio when the radio-adjustment feature is OFF. I read in some Citizens manual that it is about +/- 20 sec per month - is it acceptable for quartz watches?
    Thank you
    Last edited by igorycha; August 22nd, 2009 at 02:59.
    <hr /><a href=https://forums.watchuseek.com/f78/watch-through-lenses-chronicles-one-obsession-638371.html target=_blank>https://forums.watchuseek.com/f78/wat...on-638371.html</a>

Suspended

Re: What would you consider as PRECISE quartz

Most generic quartz have specifications of +/- 15-20 seconds per month.

The high frequency quartz can run at about +/- 20 seconds per year.

Thermocompensated quartz runs at +/- 5 seconds per year.

And which group does Casio belong to?
    <hr /><a href=https://forums.watchuseek.com/f78/watch-through-lenses-chronicles-one-obsession-638371.html target=_blank>https://forums.watchuseek.com/f78/wat...on-638371.html</a>

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by igorycha View Post
    And which group does Casio belong to?
    According to the manual, G-SHOCKs are rated to a +/-15 seconds precision per month - a deviation of only 0,000578704% (assuming a 30-day month). Not too shabby for such inexpensive, mass-produced watches.

Moderator G-Shock Forum

Im always somewhat dissapointed with the accuracy of watches.
    For me 1sec/month is a accurate watch which not need much care.
    But both, the mechanics and the quartz, doing worse.
    My atomic Gs are almost the same +/-20sec / month if not synced - like the standard ones.
    What im curious about is that at some Gs there is a adjust capacitor for the quartz, so Casio could adjust the watch in production. But they dont.
    So all my Casios going fast, usually 15sec/month.
    But the deviation is high between the watches, even from the same series.

I managed to adjust a DW-6600 down to -1sec/month (of course only in a narrow temp range) without frequency counter or something.

Quote Originally Posted by d2mac View Post
    What im curious about is that at some Gs there is a adjust capacitor for the quartz, so Casio could adjust the watch in production. But they dont.
    That's a pretty bold assumption. They will almost certainly use that to calibrate the watch - within the given tolerances. Adjusting is a time-consuming process, directly related to the targeted precision.

Aiming at a higher precision doesn't make much sense for atomic watches where the deviation will be unnoticeable almost all the time. The non-atomic models are mostly fairly inexpensive, thus even less warranting higher investments in precision calibration.

As with most things in business life, this is a matter of finding an acceptable compromise for 95% of the customers. Most people will rather take a cheaper watch but pay more for a few seconds better precision.

HiYa
    what do quartz fans expect from their watch in the sense of timekeeping? I have a G-Shock

And this is my all travel, swimming, climbing whatever whatch. But recently I discovered that it was running about +20 sec fast (well, not sure when I adjusted it last time but no longer than 2 - 3 month ago) Frankly I was alittle bit dissapointed - I thought it should keep +/- 10 sec per year. What would you say? My Breitling runs aprx +1 sec/day and it is considered damn good for auto, but quartz...
    And what is the average timekeeping for radioadjusted Casio/ not Casio when the radio-adjustment feature is OFF. I read in some Citizens manual that it is about +/- 20 sec per month - is it acceptable for quartz watches?
    Thank you
    i read here on the forum the other day this

"Interesting article I found about the Cesium Radiation used in an Atomic Clock, Claims that now it can be kept accurate to 2 nanoseconds per day or 1 Second in 1,400,000 years! You wanta talk about accuracy, you'll never get this from an automatic! "

how accurate do you want to be, i believe that would be sufficient for most

HiYa

Thank you
    I dig that blue watch and the band is cool! What model is it?

Quote Originally Posted by CeeJay View Post
    I dig that blue watch and the band is cool! What model is it?
    Thank you CeeJay - I never thought about the model name untill you asked me about it ... it says WorldTime

Quote Originally Posted by getmilk View Post
    i read here on the forum the other day this

"Interesting article I found about the Cesium Radiation used in an Atomic Clock, Claims that now it can be kept accurate to 2 nanoseconds per day or 1 Second in 1,400,000 years! You wanta talk about accuracy, you'll never get this from an automatic! "

how accurate do you want to be, i believe that would be sufficient for most
    Yes. I read that info too. But you can not take that holly thing on your wrist. So far.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information