What are your thoughts on the GIEZ?

Thread: What are your thoughts on the GIEZ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What are your thoughts on the GIEZ?

I just recently acquired a Giez 1000J (Japanese market version) through a trade on WUS. After having it for a day I decided that even though it is an extremely COOL piece and its a pleasure to watch as it performs its functions, I prefer the ease of use of digital on watches with so many features.

I love the way it looks and feels but decided to sell/trade it.

I wanted to get some thoughts from the G-shock community on this model. If you own one what do you like/dislike about it? would you consider it a keeper?
    Last edited by dood; April 1st, 2009 at 05:34.

Re: What are your thoughts on the GIEZ?

I got my first one from a WUS seller also. Its not as big as I am used to and the strap fits a bit differntly so it can get a little uncomfy at times. I made sure I wore it constantly for a couple days to get used to it. It is also my first analog watch since about mid-1995. I had quite a time trying to figure it out at first because it doesn't just tell time. I don't wear it every day now as I have started to wear what I'm in the mood for each day. If you feel like you won't ever really like it, then sell it. Despite the slight uncomfiness with the band, I have a second Giez that cleared customs yesterday and is on its way from CA. If you like the watch, but not as an every day watch, keep it for certain occassions. I find it to be an interesting time piece, one I don't see anyone else wearing-- at least not here. I like that.

I got one from tiktox and I luv it. Not the same one as yours though (GS1100) but the watch is solidly built and has a quite a weight to it. It's stylish too. I've been aiming for the model for quite some time and when the pound-euro exchange rate fell I grabbed it at once.

I wore it during interviews, made me feel a little bit more confident... and professionnel

THe only drawback on the GIEZ i suppose that it's a quite a hassle to master. N when you shift to 1 mode from another you will move the hands (hour and minute) and you can't interrupt the procedure. It's more of an annoyance rather other than anything as if you change modes by mistake you have to wait for the hands to rotate before exiting them. Other than though...no other faults (some may complain abt the lume. For me it's a non issue)

My wrist leaves a strange smell after I wear it. Can anybody tell me what is it and how to remove it?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Master Chief View Post
    My wrist leaves a strange smell after I wear it. Can anybody tell me what is it and how to remove it?
    Yeah... take a shower!! lol

Kidding aside, take a look at this post that shows how to deodorize your g-shock. Maybe that works?
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=131157
    Virtus junxit, mors non separabit.

Breitling SuperOcean 42, 50th Anniversary Navitimer
    Casio GW6900-1
    Longines Vintage Crosshair
    Rolex Explorer II, GMT Master IIc

I'm a bit jaded since I'm still in the letter-writing phase of getting my faulty GS-1001 refunded by the retailer. Notice I don't want it repaired, or even replaced.

Although an incredibly sexy watch to look at it, it went against what G's mean to me -- that is, unbreakable (it has moving parts), easy-to-read (those sub-dials are tiny!), and feature-packed (I need a countdown timer ... and that alarm took about 1 minute to set due to the hands spinning around ).

Why did I buy it in the first place? It was so damn shiny, and sexy ... I will stick with digitals but I can see why other people would love the Giez, it certainly looks the business and does feel nice to wear!
    -- Gray
    Current Favourite: PRG240 (the orange-tinted one)

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

personally i'm not too crazy about analog g-shocks, or - for that matter - ana/digi g-shock's. they look undoubtely cool yes, but they usually always lack what even the most basic digital G can give: functionality and legibility (including good lume for night use). I love the way the new GW-2000 series looks (besides that damn aslant date position, i just can't stand it) but until casio decides to make an analog watch one day with tritium vials and put the date in a non-aslant position (3,6,9,12 would all be fine for me) i will stick to digitals-only.

regards, holger
    We are 12.6 %

I had one briefly, didn't like it.

I felt it was too complex; I was never sure what mode it was in. I didn't like the fact that seconds were on a subdial, leaving the 'function' hand stopped at twelve o'clock. The strap was very thin; whilst this made it very comfortable, it also made the watch feel somewhat top-heavy.

I just don't get on with ana-digi G's, and I've not yet seen a full analogue one I like the look of.
    'I never done it'

I have a lot of respect for the GIEZ line, especially the 1000 model/series. I like it a lot, and I like how it feels on the wrist due to the heavier screwback.

I'd keep it if I were you.

I own two. Waiting to get the battery changed in the GS300. I love the feel of the titanium of the GS300 and wish more in the Giez lineup were titanium.

I have a GS-1100 and like it quite a bit. I agree with what others have said about it being a bit of a PITA to set sometimes because of the hand rotation locking out the buttons. The lume is also weak, but I like it enough to keep it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information