What are your thoughts on Made (cased) in China G Shocks
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: What are your thoughts on Made (cased) in China G Shocks

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What are your thoughts on Made (cased) in China G Shocks

Hey everyone,

Am still a noob but I have a good collection of limited edition GShocks. I was really into them until the recent GShocks were Made or cased in China. After a local visit to the G Factory outlets here in Singapore and a chat with the sales executives, I was reassured of the G Shock quality even though all the newer G's will be made in china. (except for JDM) I am truly disappointed and have drastically slowed down in buying G Shocks. I know its only a watch and maybe there are those that feel that Made in Thailand or Malaysia is inferior but I would beg to differ. Maybe its skepticism and I guess only time will tell but I would love to hear what other fans think? Please share your thoughts!

Re: What are your thoughts on Made (cased) in China G Shocks

This is sort of on topic but i seem to recall a ban on lead in solder of electronic components around the mid 2000's, which i had heard drastically reduced the quality and longevity of these products. Beyond that keep in mind these are plastic and resin items with an inherent lifespan to began with, and although Casio produces spare resins for our beloved G's just try to find me a spare band and bezel set for one of my 8400 Mudmen. . . .not happening. To be honest unless you are lucky or sharp enough to buy a few spares when the watch is brand new you're rather out of luck.

As far as the quality difference of made in China G's vs Japan i can't even began to imagine if there is a difference without inspecting them side by side. i will say that although i try my hardest to only purchase items produced in America i still often end up with Chinese manufactured goods due to price points on things that aren't going to make a life or death difference to me or lack of realistic options and have honestly not felt let down in particular by any of these Chinese made products.

It appears you live in China, would you care to elaborate on your why you feel the quality may be compromised on the new Chinese produced G's?

Always fun talking to you guys from across the globe, thank you for your post!
    Last edited by NC Mystic; May 24th, 2012 at 06:48.

I have my first Chinese G, a 5600. I wish I had a Thailand or Japanese 5600 to compare it to, but so far (after about 8 hours lol) it seems ok.
    Image not available

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

They don't fog

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

you pay the right price, you get the right quality - even in China
    usa-60 likes this.

First of all let me say that I have nothing against products made in China, but I do think the LCDs of Chinese Gs are not as good as the ones made in Thailand or Malaysia. Sure they are fine if you look at them individually but the difference (in contrast) is rather obvious when you put them side by side.

Having said that, it is likely a reflection of the Casio spec/price point rather than an issue with the country of origin.
    Last edited by Watchphile; May 24th, 2012 at 14:45.

You must have missed the announcement of the new Thai factory opening. They'll be producing 700,000 watches per month. In Thailand!! I have seen quality concerns within the Chinese-made Baby-G and G-Shock lines.

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Funny for the OP to be shunning G-Shocks made in China... as they are showing their location to include China! I suspect based primarily in Singapore but also spends a lot of time in China.

There's no question that China has a reputation for making huge quantities of cheap junk and the source for poor quality made knock-offs. However, they are also making most of the worlds electronics these days, components that go into every brand today, including most high end electronics. It's legitimate to question if G-Shock product is able to sidestep quality control or materials problems. The question has been asked numerous times here on WUS/F17, and the conclusion is usually the same: virtually no detectable difference.

I do remember reading somewhere that a member complained about seeing LCD quality differences, where some looked less refined when made in China. But if my memory serves me right, this was only for a limited period of time and with just a couple of models. A more recent example was checked and it looked fine, so the problem would only be if you're buying a used G-Shock that was made during that "problem" time.

That said, on a sort of off-topic note, I wonder how the Chinese feel about electronics made in their country. In most growing industrialized nations there becomes a saturation point, and people begin looking to items made elsewhere that are of very good quality. In the USA, there was tremendous pride for things made in the USA, until there was such saturation that everything was common. The Japanese and Germans began to supersede the Americans in design and quality, so their products became more coveted. There was also something a bit more interesting about having something made in a foreign land. I wonder if China is starting to go through that kind of phase. Despite the fact that they have access to every major car brand produced in the world, Buick remains a very coveted brand, a legacy from the days of WWII. GM has worked hard to continue the image. I've heard that some models have been made exclusively for the Chinese and foreign markets, having yet to appear on US shores. [see Buick Sells 3-Millionth Car in China, and Buick May Owe Survival to China].
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Quote Originally Posted by Watchphile View Post
    First of all let me say that I have nothing against products made in China, but I do think the LCDs of Chinese Gs are not as good as the ones made in Thailand or Malaysia. Sure they are fine if you look at them individually but the difference (in contrast) is rather obvious when you put them side by side.

Having said that, it is likely a reflection of the Casio spec/price point rather than an issue with the country of origin.
    Really....does quality differences came through photography to tell?
    Does anyone also feel this quality difference or its all mental...

Most probably there's no quality differences. I'm not sure about that because I have no chinese G's, but must fellows here say that, and I believe them.

However, when you start a collection, you set some parameters. For example:

-American stamps.
    -G-Show watches.

While collecting, sometimes you focus even more your collection. Lest's say:

-American stamps NASA related.
    -Colorful G-Show watches from the '80s and '90s.

I must admit I've decided to narrowed my collection this way:

-G-Show watches NOT made in China.

I focus most on vintage models, so not much has changed. And if there's a certain mode that it's only made in China and I like it a lot, I'm probably getting it, yeah. But I must admit I'm not very interested in what Casio's releasing nowadays.

Cheers,

G.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information