What's the best G-Shock for me?

Thread: What's the best G-Shock for me?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What's the best G-Shock for me?

I'm looking for a good, tough watch (without breaking the bank...<$100 or so?) that is solar powered, shock resistant, and good under water. I do not have a G-Shock but it seems to be the perfect watch for this use...playing sports, swimming & ocean, outdoor work, etc. Also not too large (under 45mm or so). It would be nice to have an alarm and timers among other functions. I am totally overwhelmed by the vast variety of G-Shocks available; Mudman, Frogman, Riseman, 5600, etc.

Any recommendations for my first G-Shock? Thanks a bunch for helping out a Casio newbie.

Moderator G-Shock Forum

Re: What's the best G-Shock for me?

Welcome to the G-Shock craze.

For ana-digi you may consider the AWG-100/101 series:
    http://www.casio.com/products/Timepi...ock/AWG100-1A/

For fully digital the GW-M5600:
    http://www.casio.com/products/Timepi...ock/GWM5600-1/

Both are wearing rather small and are solar-atomic.

The atomics from the *man series are not within your budged....

For solar and not atomic, the G-2300/10 has a good feature set. The only drawback to this watch for me is the lack of time visible in the CDT. And that's only because I use the CDT daily and need to have a fairly good idea what time it is as well as how much time is left in the CDT.

I get a lot of wear out of my GW-5525. Solar, atomic, low profile (it's reasonably wide, but not tall), good STW and CDT, clear display, more alarms than I need.

I guess what is going to help in your case right now is what style are you drawn to? Square case/face? Round case/face? Would 1000hr STW be useful or is 24hr plenty? Would 60min CDT be limiting? That would help narrow down the recommendations.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

+1 for the GW-M5600.

Its a great everyday watch and well featured. I think the feature set is better than the atomic Gulfman or Mudman.
    Easy to find, not too big and very clear display.

g9100 for sure.......
    watches are meant to tell times..

Thanks very much for the feedback and recommendations! I prefer a more rounded look and don't want analog. And the more I think about it, I don't really need an "atomic".....so not sure if that helps. I am not sure what CDT and STW mean - but I don't need anything with too many bells/whistles/capabilities. I could probably go up to the $120 range if needed, but prefer to stay in the <$100 range. I appreciate everyone's help!:thanks

PS: this one looked pretty interesting...not sure of it's feedback (I believe it is the one ecalzo recommended?):

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-G-Shock-...2155616&sr=8-1

PSS: I just figured out that CDT means - Countdown timer?
    Last edited by Mulligan; September 5th, 2009 at 15:09.

If you don't care about the atomic feature, you can save a couple of bucks and buy the G5600e.

Quote Originally Posted by taling hallenthur View Post
    If you don't care about the atomic feature, you can save a couple of bucks and buy the G5600e.
    That watch looks like a great value - the squared face looks pretty good too....not too many bells/whistles that I won't use yet still have what I need and good for swimming/diving...hmmmm. Thanks

Good choise is GW-M850 also. Solar, atomic (multiband 6), full auto backlight, world time, 42,5 mm, 4 alarms, stopwatch, timers, ... On ebay from 75$
    nice pictures

The bottom line is that I don't think you can go wrong with any of these choices presented so far...

For my 2 cents, I'd say going either for a solar/atomic mudman like the GW-9000 or GW-9010 would get you those features for under or around $100. I have a GW-9000 and it is probably my most comfortable G-shock to wear and an extremely tough G.

Alternatively, there are several options for mudmans (G-9000 series) and gulfmans (G-9100 series) without the solar/atomic functionality in several different colors, etc. that you can get for well under $100. The difference to me is whether you want the tide graph and the titanium bits on the gulfman (caseback, screws etc), versus the mud resist on the mudman... and of course looks... Although it's a bit more, I think the solar atomic gulfman is probably one of the best looking G's, IMHO (even though I haven't gotten one of those yet)...

Good luck!
    Chris
    ---

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information