What's The Deal?

Thread: What's The Deal?

Banned

What's The Deal?

I've been collecting for almost 3 yrs now but just recently became involved with WUS. While I've been here I have noticed a huge influx of G Shocks for sale or trade. Maybe some of you can help me out, I need to know what is it about G Shocks that make people, for the lack of a better word, obsessed and buy multiples, and what is the fascination with the different models/versions that are offered? I would love to hear/read everyone's comments.

Thanks in advance!

Re: What's The Deal?

These links might help you understand the deal

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=255108
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=254532
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=256451
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=255494
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=255206

Basically, G-Shocks are loved for their toughness, functionality, quality of construction, affordability, the multiple color variations and editions, collectability, their ties to street culture, sports, and the military, and last but not least, the looks. Which, admittedly, isn't everyone's cup of tea We've also got a great user community here.

Plus, I'm convinced Casio mixes crack cocaine in with the resin and it gets absorbed through the skin. If you'll excuse me, I need a hit...
    Last edited by sl8763; April 24th, 2009 at 07:21.
    Simon

WTB - More wrists

I would guess the same obsession that all collectors and completionists have.

Personally, I like them as they're reasonably cheap, look pretty good casually, theyre different that normal fashion watches, they're very functional and even if you get tired of one - easy to flip

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by sl8763 View Post
    Plus, I'm convinced Casio mixes crack cocaine in with the resin and it gets absorbed through the skin. If you'll excuse me, I need a hit...

everybody has there own reason but they are one of the best buys for durability and functions for the money period
    Last edited by DougFNJ; April 24th, 2009 at 21:53. Reason: fixed quote

Citizen AT4004
    Spork SRP034K1
    Stealth GA-100 1A1
    Black Knight Quartz
    Orange Monster
    SKX175 Pepsi
    Riseman Rising Dragon, Pathfinder PRG80, Oceanus, G1000H

I started out on a G-Shock years ago after seeing that Casio hockey TV ad, because it impressed me mightily. As my arm tends to flop about sometimes when I walk, it would hit the occasional wall or door, so having a watch that can withstand such a treatment was one less cause of stress for me. I would actually be annoyed every time our instructor required us to take off our watches for workshop class.

Unfortunately that first G was lost after some time due to some unfortunate circumstances. But it certainly started me on something big, and I'd like to think that I made up for that loss with 5 more Gs currently in the stable.
    Last edited by Bogeyman; April 24th, 2009 at 12:25.
    DW-9051/2
    G-9200 Riseman
    G-9100 Gulfman
    G-9000MC-8D Mudman
    GW5600J
    GA-100A-9A

Sucks to be without a G.

What I dig is that they are cheap, but still have a coolness factor to them, whereas most watches in the sub-50 dollar range you see at Wal-Mart or Target are just crap.

So in short, you can basically buy a decent used one every time you get a paycheck and not have to stay awake at night wondering what you were thinking!

Banned

Thanks for the info guys. Keep them coming. I would like to hear others comment on the G Shock phenom.

Well, to me you are a collector or you are not... Some people would NEVER see a reason to have more than a "few of anything". They are not collectors. I suspect that for many on these sites, if it were not watches it would be SOMETHING else.

For years I gathered backpacking gear. That kit complete I moved on to tools... that kit complete I moved on to watches. :) And I dabble in pens as well.

Now, why G's. I am convinced that not only is there crack in the straps :) but that they have NAILED the marketing for G Shocks. Like Swatch they are smart in how they release their models. Some limited editions here... a few "Special Models" there... lots of colors, lots of options... Something for everyone. Not only does this keep the relevant in the market, but it gives LOTS of "inexpensive" models to choose from. Same thing Swatch did (and does) with their seasonal releases.

Unlike the big boys (Omega, Rolex, Etc...) who release one model every few years, Casio is releasing Gs every month!

And then there is the history of the G... Known for its toughness, durability, and low cost. Add collectible "vintage" watches and you have a "market" ready for collecting!!!

But that's just my thing. :)
    Suunto... Replacing Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by sl8763 View Post

Naturally explains why I can't control my buying... I'm an addict! If only I could take the watches off!

Gotta agree with sl8763 an say its def cocaine resin on these staps...im always so happy when i'm wearing my Gs. And i type so much quicker.

Thread Information