What's the difference?

Thread: What's the difference?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What's the difference?

I know the frogman is a cool diver's watch but it resists only 20 Bar, the same as any G-shock model...
    My Nissan G-shock resists 200 meters too but it isnt a diver's watch right? what's the difference then? O.O
    Thanks
    Batman
    Be today, better than yesterday.
    Batman

Re: What's the difference?

Hi Batman,

The pressure of 200m water is about 20 bar, so actually it says the same thing. Most JP models display 20 bar, overseas models often display 200m, but it is actually although rarely, used the other way around too

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

To put the "Diver's" marking on a watch (as on the Frogman) the watch must have the ISO6425 certification, and have to pass some severe tests. Generally, Casio G-Shocks (even if WR to 200 meters or 20 bar) are only certified with the ISO2281, wich is about Water resistance specifications, but they're not specifically tested as Diver's watches.

Some readings here:

http://www.fhs.ch/en/faq.php

Best Regards
    JK

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hello Batman,
    I believe someone has mentioned that divers themselves wouldn't rely on a single watch like that, but a dive computer instead. I think the FROGMAN has a margin in the price for the ISO certification costs factored in. I think if a dw-9000 can be standard issue for French Combat divers, with it's 4-screw-plate setup then, I think your nissan watch should be fine too. So that answers the question of water resistance.

In so far as what makes a divers watch, I think the link by Jonnyk is good. I read somewhere that this is given as the reason why there isn't a negative display for FROGMAN's (even for the RB FROGMAN); it wouldn't met legibility standards.
    Last edited by Resinbandit; October 24th, 2006 at 04:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman
    I know the frogman is a cool diver's watch but it resists only 20 Bar, the same as any G-shock model...
    My Nissan G-shock resists 200 meters too but it isnt a diver's watch right? what's the difference then? O.O
    Thanks
    Batman
    I think the frogman is pressurized with helium gas just like a genuine divers watch. Gshocks are not. I think this is why they must be serviced by casio only and they state not to remove the screw down back cover.

Was Japan, now back home in Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by dw5600
    I think the frogman is pressurized with helium gas just like a genuine divers watch. Gshocks are not. I think this is why they must be serviced by casio only and they state not to remove the screw down back cover.
    Totally agree 5600.

It's pressurized.

Quote Originally Posted by dw5600
    Hello dw5600,
    I just had a look at the 2422 models manual.http://www2.casio.co.jp/manual_pdf/w...hp?MODULE=2422
    I didn't see that info anywhere. I don't recall seeing any markings on any models (at least in this series) relating to this. Can I ask, which series is this(He pressurised) for? How did you find this out? I might have missed something somewhere
    I always thought the servicing recomendation had something to do with Casio trying to ensure the watch keeps it's ISO certification?

Any info appreciated

EDIT:
    If this is the case, then this fellow I found on yahoo might be in some trouble.

Last edited by Resinbandit; October 24th, 2006 at 04:51.

i must have that snake killer resin!
    BROADARROW: PRS-4Q
    CASIO: DW-6100, GW200TC-2V(FROGMAN), G9000-3V (MUDMAN), DW5600E-1V, GW1200BA-1AV, GW6900, PAW-1300-1V(PATHFINDER), GW-7900B, G-7900
    SWISS ARMY: ACTIVE ORIGINAL SAI 24378
    SEIKO: BLACK MONSTER, SKX007, 300M TUNA CAN
    OAKLEY: D1 BLACK/BLACK

Quote Originally Posted by Resinbandit
    Hello dw5600,
    I just had a look at the 2422 models manual.http://www2.casio.co.jp/manual_pdf/w...hp?MODULE=2422
    I didn't see that info anywhere. I don't recall seeing any markings on any models (at least in this series) relating to this. Can I ask, which series is this(He pressurised) for? How did you find this out? I might have missed something somewhere
    [b]I always thought the servicing recomendation had something to do with Casio trying to ensure the watch keeps it's ISO certification?[b]
    I too am curious where it's stated that the Frogman is pressurized

At the moment I'm with Resinbandit, I thought the servicing recommendation just had something to do with Casio ensuring the watch keeps its ISO certification. Besides, it's only certified for 200m -- 200m diver's watches don't really need anything special to withstand pressure at that depth.

What do you mean with it being pressurized:-S

I can't imagine for what reason that could have been done. All other dive watches I know aren't pressurized in any way.

I used to think that Helium has so small molecules that it (i.e. the He) will even pass the seals so I think I am lost on that subject, please elaborate a little more

Have a nice day,

Ad.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information