What's the future of "Master of G"? Rangeman + Frogman + Mudman?
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By xevious
  • 2 Post By Sjors
  • 1 Post By wuyeah

Thread: What's the future of "Master of G"? Rangeman + Frogman + Mudman?

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Question What's the future of "Master of G"? Rangeman + Frogman + Mudman?

OK, so we've now heard through various sources before the public announcement that the Riseman is being retired. I was kind of expecting this, as the Rangeman completely eclipses its functionality. The MSRP of the GW-9200 Riseman was $220 USD, while the GW-9400 Rangeman is just $80 more. OK, of course nobody buys a Riseman for $220 as it is heavily discounted from that at even the most obvious retail sources (like Amazon). But still, after the fanfare for the Rangeman dies off I'm sure you'll start to find it at around $250 come this next summer.

Although CASIO is serious about the Master of G line, they also don't want to make it too expensive for the price of admission. They are still making the G-9000 Mudman for less than $100 USD, while the GW-9330 is fetching a whopping $350 USD. Why wouldn't the Riseman be kept on with a slightly lower price point, say $190 USD? Maybe they don't want to lose any prospective sales on the Rangeman. This is the big test to see if people that would have bought a Riseman would be willing to pony up a little more money for a Rangeman.

But what of the Gulfman? It is absent from the Casio USA website. The G-9100 and GW-9100 are in the product archive now, and funny enough the GW-9110 is nowhere to be found (I guess it wasn't an official USA release?). And interestingly enough, only the G-9110 appears on the Casio International website.

Anyway, I'm now curious to see what happens next. Perhaps we'll hear of the Gulfman being retired as well? Finish off the functionality in the GW-9300 and give it a tide graph to compliment the moon phase, as well as an optional titanium back plate and that'll be it?
    Last edited by xevious; October 16th, 2013 at 19:48.
    Chrisek and G-fob like this.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Re: What's the future of "Master of G"? Rangeman + Frogman + Mudman?

Maybe a Gulfman with Tideraph, Moonage, Sunrise and Sunset. Sounds fun to me

Cheers,

Sjors
    Chrisek and alexs12 like this.
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Sjors View Post
    Maybe a Gulfman with Tidegraph, Moonage, Sunrise and Sunset. Sounds fun to me
    Agreed! It would be nice to see the Gulfman return to its roots. Continue to be the only model in the MoG line-up to have both Moonage and Tidegraph, but then also have moonrise/moonset and sunrise/sunset. And of course, a titanium back plate. Maybe even throw in a compass too! So, while the G-Lide provides Moonage and Tidegraph, you get a little bit more with the Gulfman.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think that Casio's next move will be to make a Master of G that's a mix of the Rangeman + Frogman + Mudman.... and they might call it the MangeeFrogmuddie!!! (a really beat-up looking Froggie that is made to live in muddy water?!!!)

I really wish there were more watches with sunrise and sunset data available. While tide graphs are interesting, I'd trade it away in a heartbeat.

One man standing. The true master of Master of G. LOL
    Chrisek likes this.

I'm thinking a new Gulfman soon and the Muddy goes bye-bye in a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverswoosh View Post
    I'm thinking a new Gulfman soon and the Muddy goes bye-bye in a couple of years.
    I'm not so sure they'll retire the Mudman. After all, look at how they've got 3 different versions still in production. I think the intention is to keep it as the "affordable" model in the Master of G, at least in the versions below 9300.

Also, the Mudman is a little more resistant to mud than the other models, due to the full button covering bezel.
    Incidentally, I tested out a 9300 in person and was... astonished at how hard you have to press to get the buttons to do anything. Yikes. Boggles my mind. I'd heard all of these issues about the 9000 series, but the 9300 isn't much better.
    Last edited by xevious; October 17th, 2013 at 16:59.

I was wondering, what about the return of the Analog Mudman. What would you think about a GW-3000 kind module in a mud resist a la GW-9300 housing?

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Thread Information