whats up with the MR-G(s)
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: whats up with the MR-G(s)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

whats up with the MR-G(s)

my quarry is 2 fold:

1. I noticed, now that I am here often and trying to learn more and more each day, that NOT TOO MANY members here post their MR-G pieces?!?

or is it (maybe) that many members/collectors here decided to PASS or SKIP purchasing these models?

2. for those that purchased these higher end pieces, how did you wrap your head around the price (no one has to justify their purchases, esp on watches) but im very curious to know how you got around to base your decision to buy a MR-G instead of maybe a "luxury" mechanical watch?

i guess this is more of an open discussion, I am not here to judge.

I'm kinda on this dilemma and am also trying to decipher to myself whether to get something like this the Ultimate Anti-Swiss Watch or Pick something up that is more traditional?!?

Xmas is around the corner and it may or may not be a good present to my self LoL

Kawei, Cbrbamby09, Piowa and 2 others like this.
    -Coi- instagram @kandyredcoi / Facebook

Re: whats up with the MR-G(s)

i thought you wanted to ask about Digital Mr.G .... Analog Mr. G or even Analog Gshocks turn me off generally (I do have 2 analog Gshocks in my collection)
    kandyredcoi likes this.

I don't own any MR-G's.

G-Shocks have taken on a bit of a trendy fashion presence over the years. Many models, due to nothing more than having a different color resin (which costs Casio nothing to produce), will go for hundreds of dollars more than their black colored twin. Some people are willing to pay for this as they see it from a fashion perspective. Other people, like me, as much as I'd like to have other colors, just aren't going to pay too much more for the same watch just because it's a different color. Or for instance, because the watch has a metal case and screw back, such as the GW-5000, that costs 3 times as much as a GW5610. It doesn't cost Casio that much more to offer a metal case and screw back. Other watch companies offer similar cases for $20. People pay for it because it's a fashion statement. I believe that these MR-G's are the same way. They don't do anything that other much lower cost G-Shocks can't do, but they are "metal" so some people will pay for that fashion statement. Nothing wrong with that, but everyone has different priorities. Personally, if I had close to $1000 to spend on a watch, it would be an all metal, swiss made, mechanical of some make. But that's just me. A $1000 watch is a fashion statement and for me that doesn't equal Casio.

Don't get me wrong, I love Casio's and G-Shocks, but for their utilitarian value, not their ability to make a fashion statement. Different strokes for different folks. And that's OK.

The real problem as I see it comes from the marketplace. I see some really cool used Casio's for sale but that are missing various parts or resin. Parts that Casio no longer makes. Casio is not Rolex. They make a watch for a while and then they stop. They don't keep a huge stockpile of old parts lying around for repairs. Once an old Casio breaks...it's broken. File 13. I'm not willing to spend that kind of money on a watch that I know will eventually break and not be repairable.
    Last edited by Brasso; December 5th, 2014 at 22:10.
    Everyone has a right to be offended.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If you try to rationalize it, the price for a newer model MRG is not rational. I've had a couple of the old ones and a couple of the new ones. There is no doubt that a 2-3k MRG 8100b or 7600 is up to par in quality with any other watch that is 2-3k new. The buttons alone are a joy to press. I for one only found one cheap~ish area in the 8100B and that is the side panel on the clasp, where the micro adjustments are made, everything else is solid. I don't think you buy an MRG as a fashion statement, it really is a much better made watch and if you use it instead of baby it you can tell. I have never met a single person in person who knew what an MRG was, they see G-Shock they think 30 walmart watch. I just wanted the best made G-Shock.

As far as parts, I agree you pay for something with a finite life, but I don't see why it won't last 30-40 years, plus, Casio Japan doesn't sell parts for MRGs they keep them, themselves, so in theory it should be easier to get current model MRG parts since you would need to send it back to Japan.

1. Part of the reason people don't buy them is they are very expensive and not very collectable. Almost certainly if you buy a new MRG and decide to sell it you will loose a lot of money on it. Something could be said for the older MRGs which are not that expensive compared to the new ones. But if you buy any current MRG model expect to loose a lot if you sell it. Also not many are made. The jump from high end frogman to MRG-8100 is a big amount. Maybe less so now with the yen being cheap.

2. I'm not into luxury mechanical watches so it was not a hard decision for me. I will say I just purchased a Sinn EZM-1 which was more than an MRG-8100B, and the 8100B is far better in my opinion but that's because I am biased towards quartz and atomics. However, your money is definitely more secure purchasing a rolex than a new MRG.

Ultimately I sold my MRGs, one was too fat, the 8100B metal too dark and the subdials to hard to read. If I have one tip it is, for any current MRG try to buy it second hand, you will save a ton of money and they are usually in good condition.

Here is an old pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Fer Guzman; December 5th, 2014 at 22:15.

great responses so far

my take on the "fashion statement" aspect, is that any watch we purchase is more than likely a good fashion statement, all cell phones and satellite equipped car radios keep exact time all the time :) the actual "need" for a wristwatch is very low now-a-days.

one of the things i was afraid of was the value after purchase or resale value, Rolex and Omega to a certain point keep their resale prices quite high compared to "other" luxury watch brands, and my wife has been buggin me to put a ROLEX back in my rotation, but the problem is (no offense to anyone here) the models i like wear small at 40mm and the other models that are 41/42mm arent really my cup-of-tea :/

if i wanted to spend the extra $ and stay with in the realm of tough solar atomic watches with a sweet touch of exclusivity and luxury the MR-G hits the spot. although i am still curious as to what others have to say :)

thanks!
    -Coi- instagram @kandyredcoi / Facebook

I suspect that not a lot of collectors own an MR-G. I don't, but I own just about every other type of G. I have considered getting an MR-G before, but due to the high prices and other choices I never got one. I'm sure they are wonderful watches and maybe one day I will own one, but I have no plans at this point to get one.

The new MR-Gs coming to the U.S. next year look great. However, I've already fallen for the GPW-1000s, and would rather have several of them than a single MR-G.
    kandyredcoi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kandyredcoi View Post
    great responses so far

my take on the "fashion statement" aspect, is that any watch we purchase is more than likely a good fashion statement, all cell phones and satellite equipped car radios keep exact time all the time :) the actual "need" for a wristwatch is very low now-a-days.

one of the things i was afraid of was the value after purchase or resale value, Rolex and Omega to a certain point keep their resale prices quite high compared to "other" luxury watch brands, and my wife has been buggin me to put a ROLEX back in my rotation, but the problem is (no offense to anyone here) the models i like wear small at 40mm and the other models that are 41/42mm arent really my cup-of-tea :/

if i wanted to spend the extra $ and stay with in the realm of tough solar atomic watches with a sweet touch of exclusivity and luxury the MR-G hits the spot. although i am still curious as to what others have to say :)

thanks!

I cant say I agree the actual need for a wristwatch is very low nowadays. Its easier and faster to read my wristwatch than my cellphone, or any other accurate time keeping device that I have available. A watch is a tool in my eyes.
    watch_geek2014 likes this.

If you think about any watch brand and try to justify the price, it becomes more a personal connection to a specific watch or brand, once you like the style and look, you are willing to spend the extra to have one, not because you need it. Any watch can seem like a lot to spend on if think about it in just monetary terms.

I have quite a few watches each fulfills a different purpose. Could I just wear my Omega SMP for everyday and everything, sure I could. I purchased the Seamaster because it was about the same age my dad got his and I understand why he loved the brand. My dad had AN Omega Connie f300 for years and loved it. Then after 30+ years as his daily watch it stopped working and he bought a perpetual calendar which I have since inherited. I also fell in love with the history of the f300 and bought two because they keep getting scarcer since no parts.

I have a couple of Rangeman and a Frogman that I also love to wear, really like the look and functionality. Are they worth the price, maybe but they were to me. I use these watches for many days at the office as well as casual.

I have an Orange Monster that I love for the summertime BBQs and pool since I can throw it on a NATO and it will take a beating and don't have to worry about scratching my other watches on concrete or a BBQ grill.

My Rangers and Froggie I got really good deals on so I have no complaints, looking at the normal prices might make me think twice.

Watches are for fashion, going out, working, and relaxing...tastes change over the years and watches I have now wouldn't be something I would have considered 5 or ten years ago. If it makes you happy and you have a watch fund set aside, then go find what really catches your eye. stash a few bucks here and there and get what you like, everything else is irrelevant like trends, etc.

jtw473, MCZK, kandyredcoi and 1 others like this.

Ω Omega Constellation Perpetual Calendar
    Ω Omega Seamaster Professional
    Ω Connie f300 Electronic
    Mixa Automatic
    Casio Chronograph World Cup 2006 Edition
    Casio G-Shock Frogman GF-1000-1DR
    Casio G-Shock Rangeman GW-9400-3CR
    Seiko SKX781 Orange Monster

I can say for me personally I skipped on the 7600 and 8100 simply because of their size. After the Titanium Square came out I just didn't have the desire.
    I genuinely enjoy the chassis that came out with the GW4000, and went on to become the Gulfmaster, the GPW, and the MTG. I have an MTG and really like it a lot. I just feel it is a little too much bling for me.
    I'll be getting an MRG for sure. Probably in the spring, and I'm really looking forward to it. It has already help me start paring down my collection (I don't like it when I get past a certain point) and feel it will help me whittle it down quite a bit more.
    I completely understand the comment above would rather have a few GPW'S than one MRG. I'm coming at it from the other side. If I can skip the 4 GPW's that I find attractive, and 3 Gulfmasters, I will be adding only one G to my collection vs 7 and will be much less expensive as well!
    We all have our own paths withing the G world.
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

One can say the analog MR-G movement is not much different from one of the Aviator models or MT-G line. You're paying more for the higher quality casing, buttons, finish, and design. Is it worth it? Well... I think for a vast majority of people here it isn't. That's why you don't see many people posting about them.

I do find some of them to be "over done". But some models have appeal. I do plan to get one eventually, and definitely on the used market. A watch that was well cared for cosmetically. I do have a digital MR-G that is excellent, the old MRG-1. All titanium casing. Top quality resin. Odd but cool buckle/keeper combination. Good visibility. Decent alarm strength. I'm not wearing a number of other G-Shocks I've collected since I got it.
    Chrisek and kandyredcoi like this.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information