When is Casio going to release a GPS G Shock or Protrek?
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: When is Casio going to release a GPS G Shock or Protrek?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

When is Casio going to release a GPS G Shock or Protrek?

They are quickly falling behind to competitors on GPS exercise/military watches.

Instead of releasing a BT G Shock how about getting some GPS features worked in?

The entire Garmin Fenix/Tactix line up can do BT txt/email notifications.

Point being is they spent a lot of time developing a BT GSHOCK notifications watch that is limited in features but priced similarly to competitors.

For $50-90 I get it, they are awesome. but there is a market that wants more.

Re: When is Casio going to release a GPS G Shock or Protrek?

They are going to reveal a GPS G-Shock at Baselworld in 7 days..
    JATO757 and Rocat like this.

Probably when they can run with solar power and without the need to recharge them every couple of days. Casio usually waits till a technology is proven and reliable before they incorporate it in their watches. They used to be more innovative but IMO I'd rather have a watch that works as it should without the need for firmware-updates, etc.
    But just FIY - Casio was the 1st company to ever put GPS in a wristwatch - in 1999. There were two models but they are both discontinued.
    chapter03 (1990-1999) - History - Corporate - CASIO
    GPR-100E-1VER - - Watch - Products - CASIO

cheers, Sedi
    Chrisek and soulbridgemedia like this.
    Cheers
    Sedi

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by starscream View Post
    They are going to reveal a GPS G-Shock at Baselworld in 7 days..
    I thought it was not a G-Shock and the GPS was only used for timekeeping like on the Seiko Astron or Citizen "Appleseed"?

cheers, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

According to this thread, Casio is going to release one next month: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/cas...th-979819.html

From some previous threads, it seems that the biggest hurdle with GPS watches is that of power consumption.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/why...ks-905160.html

According to this Garmin review, the manufacturer claims a 50 hour battery life in GPS mode, but one user reports it's a lot less than that: Garmin Tactix In-Depth Review | DC Rainmaker

I don't know about anybody else, but I'd rather have a 200m water resistant watch that I don't have to plug into the wall to charge every night.
    JATO757, Rocat and JonL like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sedi View Post
    I thought it was not a G-Shock and the GPS was only used for timekeeping like on the Seiko Astron or Citizen "Appleseed"?
    According to this thread, "...G-Shock are going to reveal a new GPS-enabled G-Shock at the upcoming Baselworld Watch and Jewellery Fair next month. We don’t have any photos yet, but we do know there will be a watched displayed called the G-Shock GPS Hybrid Waveceptor...."

You are right about the fact that it appears to be using GPS for timekeeping, with no mention of it using GPS coordinates for orienteering, for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Sedi View Post

cheers, Sedi
    I'm not 2 sure what the GPS will be used for and how it works, they don't want to say much about it right now, they were pretty upset about all the leaks and are trying their best to keep it a secret till Baselworld.. but it most definitely is a G-Shock.

Ah, thanks guys - must have missed that. Somebody mentioned that it's no longer in the Baselworld catalog however.

edit: Oops, I even posted in the thread about the announcement.

cheers, Sedi
    Last edited by Sedi; March 20th, 2014 at 03:33.
    Cheers
    Sedi

Trust me, as someone who owns a Pebble smartwatch - charging watches sucks! I hate having to look at a battery indicator every time I put it on just to see if I'm going to be able to make it through a full day without it dying. Not to mention I've had more than a few times where I threw on the watch and ran out the door only to have a blank, grey screen staring at me a few hours later. Nothing is worse than being forced to wear a watch that is dead/not working. For this reason the Pebble hasn't been seeing much wrist time lately. I usually stick to my G's and Seiko's as I travel a lot and don't like having to carry an additional charger with me everywhere I go.

In essence I guess I'm agreeing with Casio's decision to hold off on releasing a GPS updated watch until power issues are resolved. If they could incorporate the feature into a solar, I'm in! If it requires it's own USB charging cable and needs weekly charges, I can assure you I'll pass.

 iPad Air

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Right now I can see a GPS Casio (or any other brand) ABC watch with solar only as a backup power source but definitely not as a main power source, current state of battery technology simply won't allow it.

cheers
    Chrisek likes this.
    We are 12.6 %

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information