When does a specific model G-Shock become classed as "Vintage"

Thread: When does a specific model G-Shock become classed as "Vintage"

When does a specific model G-Shock become classed as "Vintage"

Seeing that the "G-Shock" just had it's 25th anniversary, would only the earliest models be classed as "Vintage"? Or is there a different way of looking at classifications apart from solely going off the number of years the item / model has aged?

Wink Re: When does a specific model G-Shock become classed as "Vintage"

Hi Sili,

There is no real description for what is vitage and what is not. For some it's te first DW-5X00 and WW-5X00 series (not the DW-5300, which replaced in model number the WW-5300). I take it a little bigger and include all light bulb models (as the DW-6100, DW-6500 and DW-6700), before the DW-6600 was released. The DW-6600 marked a new generation of G-Shock's and I think it is still produced.

When I started collecting in 2000 I roughly considdered 10 year old G's as vintage, but that would pretty much cover the range of G's I just described.

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Re: When does a specific model G-Shock become classed as "Vintage"

It's called "Vintage" when you want to sell it for $100.00 more than it's really worth.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzbait View Post
    It's called "Vintage" when you want to sell it for $100.00 more than it's really worth.
    I couldn't have put it better myself -- I was just thinking about certain sellers slapping on the word "vintage" onto anything, even watches that have barely turned ten years old, just to make a sale.

I can't really think of any other reason to call a watch vintage, anyway . . .

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicSolar View Post
    I couldn't have put it better myself -- I was just thinking about certain sellers slapping on the word "vintage" onto anything, even watches that have barely turned ten years old, just to make a sale.

I can't really think of any other reason to call a watch vintage, anyway . . .
    I agree. "Vintage" is heavily misused these days. First it was "antique". Originally this meant anything 100+ years old. But then that changed... somewhere along the line it became 50 years. Now DMV's generally classify a car over 25 years old as "antique".

Maybe it's the popularity of wine. "What vintage is this?" "It's from 2003." "Nice vintage!"

Clearly, Casio is enjoying a renaissance of the G-shock line. And now they're trying to force the term "classic" upon watches not all that old. It's kind of ridiculous. Like what Coke did when their "new formula" fell on its face and they reintroduced the original formula. I could see Casio using "original" though, as in the first design. The DW5600 model looks very much like the original and it's a very well thought out design. Add Atomic clock synchronization and solar power... very nice. But I couldn't think of it as "classic" or "vintage style".
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Thread Information