where is the speaker for the beep sound?

Thread: where is the speaker for the beep sound?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

where is the speaker for the beep sound?

i ask myself that question cause my dw-310 has some problems that i couldnt solve out yet.

my guess is the circle flat piece that is glued to the inner side of the backplate of my watch is something like a speaker?
    the 2 contacts raising out of the modul , one must touch the metal of the backplate , the other must touch the round thing, right. now the area where the one contact should touch the round thing is scratched, almost scratched away completely, so the watch makes no sound.

then i used one of these round things from a cheap f91w, and just pressed it on the backplate, pressed the plate onto the watch, and voila it made a silent beep, but it worked, so my theory seems right.

but what can i do now, to get the beep back again? i mean i already tried to move the one contact a bot, so it touches another non scratched area of the round thing, but this doesnt do the trick, the contact is already a bit rumbled now, i dont wanna break it. i dont know what to do, but find a cheap backplate of the dw-310, or is there another way?

thanks
    gerald
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: where is the speaker for the beep sound?

come on, where are the tech freaks... sure many of you have repaired a "silent" watch, no?

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

gerald,

IMO the whole caseback works as membrane itself. I have some watches with that circle flatpiece and others without it. not sure, but I presume they use it for models when the alarm spring is to short or far away from the caseback to maintain proper contact.

regards, holger

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think the disc itself is a piezoelectric speaker. The way you describe it as being "almost scratched away completely" it sounds like it might be damaged, though I can't think how it would sustain damage like that inside a watch.

If its broken, you might be able to replace it with one from an old watch. I've never done it, but I found this website showing how to use one from an old watch to make high impedance earphones. It doesn't show how it was removed, but I think they must be glued on.

http://www.josepino.com/other_projec...headphones.jpc
    "The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is." C S Lewis

thanks, that link helped me to udnerstand. and it gave me a good laugh, oh man, a MUST see, haha, just let me post that....

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    "First, we take the broken watch and open it.

What? this one is not a broken one?"

Ok, now it is broken. We can use it for our project. (Kids: Don't try this at home)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

great humor to include that scene in the process...

Quote Originally Posted by fonklover View Post

great humor to include that scene in the process...
    That made me laugh too.
    "The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is." C S Lewis

Hi Fonklover,

The circle in the backplate of this G is a piezo electric crystal speaker. Don't ask me for the technical details, but if you deform a piezo electric crystal, you get an electric potential (often used as an ingnition sparkle). If you apply an electric potential on the crystal, it vibrates. Actually the quartz crystal in your watches use the same principal. If the vibrations are between around 50 to 10000Hz, you can hear them, when amplified. I think the main functions of the metallic plate is to conduct the electronic potential to the crystal and to amplify the vibrations to an hearable sound...

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

thank you for info sjors, and on youf pic its the same with the speaker as on my watch. the speaker is scratched on one spot, where the contact to the speaker should be. from what i see on that pic, this watch also could have trouble with beep? or do you think that scratch has no impact? i am pretty sure cause i tried with another speaker already, and the beep worked so it cant be failure if the module.

:thanks
    gerald

Hi Gerald,

As you can see on my picture, there is a spot on the speaker, where the alarm spring makes contact to the speaker (the back is rotated 180º). The speaker needs to be clean (fat free) to have a good contact. Sometimes it can also differ if the back is placed back 180º rotated. If nothing helps, probably your speaker is defective...

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

I've NEVER seen one fail on its own. I'm completely surprised. You are correct that the little circle on the back makes the beep. It's called a piezo buzzer.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

Here's some more links. According to them there's various electrical properties you need to match up. I'm guessing if you don't then either you might ruin the watch, it won't work as well (not be as loud), won't work at all, or it will take more power from the battery.
    http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...piezo%20buzzer

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...piezo%20buzzer

If someone can record that watch into Cool Edit, Audition, or Audacity or some other audio application they could tell you the frequency it's vibrating at.

I tried taking the buzzer from another watch a long time ago, and the buzzer cracked.
    SPROING!!!!

(oops! Time for a new watch!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information