Who is kikuo ibe?
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Who is kikuo ibe?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Off topic Who is kikuo ibe?

Sorry for the off-topic post:

Im bored so i tried to google the father of g-shock, mr. Kikuo ibe

apparently aside from the history of how he came up with the g-shock idea and some other small anecdotes, nothing is really known about the man, the inventor, the elusive father of g-shock. He doesnt even have a wikipedia page!

so here's what i got on mr. Ibe san:

- a graduate of mechanical engineering from sophia university in japan
    - already a head of design in casio before the eureka moment of designing a 10/10/10 watch
    - was working on miniature tech at casio before he switched focus on designing the first g
    - owns only 2 g-shocks (the original dw5000 and a dw5600)
    - he is interested in swiss watches
    - likes growing vegetables on his 100sqm land and likes to give said vegetables to his neighbors

and thats it! I want more details of this man! details like:

- what brand of watch was it that his father gave him for his high school graduation that he ultimately dropped and broke?
    - did he work at casio directly after graduating his engineering course? Did he start out as an assistant to the assistant of the assistant designer of casio and rose to the rank of head of design?
    - does he own other watches? Does he also own a 100sqm room full of rolexes?
    - since he was head of design at casio before the g-shock, what casio non g's did he design?
    - does he have a family? A wife, children? Do they all wear omegas?
    - what car does he drive? How many ferraris does he own? When did he wreck his first maclaren?
    - The 100sqm land he used for planting his vegetables, is it just beside his 10,000sqm mansion?
    - did the illuminati help him in the design of the g-shock?
    - approx 50 million g-shocks were sold, does he also have $50 million in his bank account?

i want a "keeping up with the kikuo's" tv show! Hey hollywood!

feel free to add more info.

Thanks wus masters!

Re: Who is kikuo ibe?

Quote Originally Posted by kcohS-G View Post
    - what brand of watch was it that his father gave him for his high school graduation that he ultimately dropped and broke?
    That's one question I have wondered about too. For all I know, it was a mechanical watch.
    Other questions in your questionnaire may seem a bit exaggerated, as Mr.Ibe is known to be a very down-to-earth person. I'm sure there would be people here who'd be knowing more than I do...

Thats the most of it yes... I don't think he owns more then 2 watches. He said in some interview he is not into collecting and doesn't understand hoarding watches like some crazy people do here on F17 He like to have one watch to fit every occasion, that's why square is the watch for him.

I do wish he had some more say in G-shock these days, we would have nicer watches without all those premium luxury analogs, I'm sure Kikuo is not a fan of those either.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Around here Kikuo Ibe is not "Off Topic" :)
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

Quote Originally Posted by bbsrailfan View Post
    Other questions in your questionnaire may seem a bit exaggerated, as Mr.Ibe is known to be a very down-to-earth person.
    lol i just threw them in there because there's really no info about the man. He may have a closet full of seikos that only he knows about lol

Quote Originally Posted by Crater View Post
    Thats the most of it yes... I don't think he owns more then 2 watches. He said in some interview he is not into collecting and doesn't understand hoarding watches like some crazy people do here on F17 He like to have one watch to fit every occasion, that's why square is the watch for him.

I do wish he had some more say in G-shock these days, we would have nicer watches without all those premium luxury analogs, I'm sure Kikuo is not a fan of those either.
    i think/would like to think he still has a huge say in g-shocks, he did say that "the metals are for those who are fans of the original g-shocks that's already "grown-up" and "he would like stay in casio designing g-shocks with his apprentices for as long as he could" and "he was interested in swiss watches and their movements" maybe all the analogs were also his designs or his team's designs but ultimately with his seal of approval.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocat View Post
    Around here Kikuo Ibe is not "Off Topic" :)
    lol thanks master.

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Sjors has met him on at least one occasion (maybe two?). He wasn't very talkative, but I'll bet Sjors learned a little more about him than any of us might know.

It's true, very few photos are shown of Kikuo Ibe. He has been seen wearing an original DW-5000 and then a more recent white 5600. Given his appreciation of Swiss watches, you have to believe he has at least one mechanical analog watch. But for CASIO events he'd never wear that one, of course.

My suspicion is that he's kind of a minimalist person and who knows how much hand he has had on later G-Shock models. It feels like his passion is more about the concept of the G-Shock than the actual watches themselves.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Quote Originally Posted by kcohS-G View Post
    - did the illuminati help him in the design of the g-shock?
    Are you serious? That's why they called them Illuminators!

In Japan, however, mostly are Buddhist illuminati, unlike the ones in Hollywood here.

Here's the history of Japan in a nutshell, saw this the other day.
    Last edited by Watch_Geekmaster; February 5th, 2016 at 04:25.
    kcohS-G, Crater, xevious and 3 others like this.

He also sported a dw5600r-3. Saw some pics when he was touring around for the 30tg anniv gigs of gshock.

hawlrite!
    Hawlrite!
    PaLigis

When I met him in SoHo, he had on a yellow square G-Lide model. Nice guy, I showed him my NIB DW-5600C, and he was pretty floored.
    G-Shocks:
    DW-5000-1JF (w/ 5030 display) <-Daily Wearer
    GW-5000-1JF |DW-5600E | DW-5000-1JF (x2) <-Ya know...for backup...
    DW-5030 | DW-5000SL (x2) | DW-6900...something.

Got Square!?

Quote Originally Posted by Watch_Geekmaster View Post
    Here's the history of Japan in a nutshell, saw this the other day.
    Thank you for a very interesting video! However, it is way too brief regarding what appears to be the most intriguing part of japanese history, namely the so called monkey fun mentioned at 2:42. Where can I learn more about this topic?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information