Who would approve of a regular "Flash-Alert" for modern tough-solar models?

View Poll Results: Old-school "Flash-Alert" in regular solar powered models?

Voters
26. This poll is closed
  • Yes, I was missing that.

13 50.00%
  • No, I wouldn't need it

3 11.54%
  • Yes, you never know what it is good for

5 19.23%
  • No, too many options make setup bothersome

0 0%
  • Yes, cram more little functions for the sake of electrical-engineering prowess

3 11.54%
  • No, casio is right tailoring models in a way we won't have to purchase functions some wouldn't want.

0 0%
  • Why care, just get another model that has that a LED-Flasher

2 7.69%
  • I cannot decide

0 0%
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Who would approve of a regular "Flash-Alert" for modern tough-solar models?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Who would approve of a regular "Flash-Alert" for modern tough-solar models?

Hi,

I was wondering why that feature vanished.
    The ancient DW-5600 has had it, more recent models with a "Ralley-Timer" have it as well, even if limited to that mode, it cannot be a matter of battery-issues.

We are may not be representative for Casio's entire target-group of customers, but maybe a geeky Casio engineer happens to read this will think: "Hey, at WUS they are right, I can design the 'super-versatile' 'über-module', therefore I'll to do it!"

Another company succeded pretty well with the idea : "the more seemingly needless functions I cram into my product, the more applications people will find for them"

Hence, I am curious what the community thinks.

Re: Who would approve of a regular "Flash-Alert" for modern tough-solar models?

I suspect that it was done away with for the same reasons they made the EL less bright on tough solar models, and many models revamped into tough solar went from 20 second alarms to 10 seconds. apparently to lessen the load on the power system. I also miss the old "Auto el" that would flash with my alarms and hourly signal.
    Jer

"I'm hip about time"

lvt

We have discussed this a couple of times before, the backlight would consumes more power than the amount of energy that the solar panel could produce in a given period of time.

It would take several days to fully charge a battery while replacing a Lithium battery would take less than 15 minutes, that's why you won't see today's solar watches playing musical melodies or having up to 10 sec of backlight.

And an hourly signal with flashing light is fun but totally useless.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by honklinux View Post
    Hi,

I was wondering why that feature vanished.
    The ancient DW-5600 has had it, more recent models with a "Ralley-Timer" have it as well, even if limited to that mode, it cannot be a matter of battery-issues.
    I don't see why not. When you say "Flash Alert," do you mean the "REM" or a hourly chime with flashing backlight?

Brave Rifles! Veterans!

I think the OP was referring to the mode that would flash the el with any sounds from the alarm, timers and hourly signal. when activated it would put the weird star burst symbol on the screen that we now associate with the "auto el" feature that lights up the screen automatically from wrist moving. IIRC, the "flash alert" was even referred to as "auto" on the screen of the dw 5600e.
    Jer

"I'm hip about time"

Terminology seems to be confusing, sorry. By saying "Flash-Alert" I was mainly referring to the flickering of the backlight when the alarm sounds, with the DW-5600 as a well-known example in mind.

I see not much purpose in an illuminated hourly chime, either.
    However, I personally have found occasions for using the "Flash Alert" of my GW-9010.
    When I work at my desk, or at my computer with ear-plugs or headphones, placing the watch into my field of view reliably calls me out for breaks.

I mentioned the "Ralley-Timer" in solar powered watches because it serves as an example that power-shortages seem not severe enough to discard some form of "Flash Alert" in gerneral.

As for the power-issue:

They've also had a "vibrating" solar model - which should consume even more power.

Casio also reintroduced the an auto-repeation in some solar-powered models with up to 6-10 repetitions, and in others they let the auto-illumunation default (to off) after several hours. So, unless those functions are run ad infinitam, with smart incoporation, such power-consuming features already were possible.

You are correct saying they really kill the battery, Casio warned against this in ~all manuals from day one - but one just does not have to over-do it.
    Besides, solar panels are being refined, mircochips as well, and so are Li-batteries, therefore this counter-argument's time is bound to run out.
    [Look, they built freakin' bluetooth into watches and still gave them 2y expected battery-life now! : P ]

Thank you all for your responses, so far.

And note how many are in favor for this : ) pretty funny.
    Last edited by honklinux; October 28th, 2012 at 22:03.

Quote Originally Posted by jer_ View Post
    I think the OP was referring to the mode that would flash the el with any sounds from the alarm, timers and hourly signal. when activated it would put the weird star burst symbol on the screen that we now associate with the "auto el" feature that lights up the screen automatically from wrist moving. IIRC, the "flash alert" was even referred to as "auto" on the screen of the dw 5600e.
    Exactly, the weird, funny star-brust-like symbol! I wish I had posted a gif with it do avoid confusion. ; )

I'm wondering why Casio even took it out in the first place...

I turn on the flash alert on all my Gs that have it...my GD-100, G-7900s, DW-6900s, DW-5600s, G-8900, among others.
    Wearing a different G-SHOCK ​everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by TedDotCom View Post
    I'm wondering why Casio even took it out in the first place...

I turn on the flash alert on all my Gs that have it...my GD-100, G-7900s, DW-6900s, DW-5600s, G-8900, among others.
    See, sharing your thought, I created this poll.
    Had it turned out that the results were the exact opposite of what we see above, I would have understood. If it weren'T for this still irking doubt about the battery-issue...

I like this because I can find the watch in the dark but we all know it's absent from solars because of battery usage. For me, another reason to not care for solars that much....
    TedDotCom likes this.
    A cRaZy no-nonsense collector of cool stuff. Also, (girl) gamer and artist. Weird combo, huh?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information