Why did I get rid of my 1983 Casio DW-5000?
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Why did I get rid of my 1983 Casio DW-5000?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Why did I get rid of my 1983 Casio DW-5000?

Newbie here. Back in 1983 I got a G-shock watch. I thought it was so cool. It had a light and was indestructible. Being young and stupid, I used to throw it against the wall just to show that it was indestructible. Never had an issue. Then in college, the strap broke so I put a blue velcro strap on it and wore it until graduation. Then I got my first nice watch. It was a Movado that got stolen, then I had some money and bought a TAG-Heuer SEL in the 90s. Loved it and wore it forever. The G-Shock was a distant memory.

A year ago, I started wishing I had that G-shock again and was amazed at how collectible they were. I looked up the original G-Shock and saw my watch. Why did I get rid of it? I wanted to buy one, but they were too expensive. So I got a Rangeman for $100 on Amazon. Great price! I really like it but I think the original was better.

So yesterday, my wife tells me we are cleaning out the garage. I am going through boxes of old pictures of friends and girlfriends and stuff I should probably throw away. Found some great cassette tapes from the 80s. Then in the corner of the box I see a watch.....G-Shock DW-5000! With bezel and velcro strap. I can't believe my luck. I put it under water to clean it with a toothbrush and the bezel disintegrates in my hands.

The battery is dead, of course, so I go to a watch shop to get a new battery. Hoping that it still works. Bingo! Everything works.

I read up a little and am going to buy a brazilian bezel and strap. Upon closer inspection, I guess I did damage it throwing it against walls when I was a dumb kid. A screw and a few push buttons are bent but working.

Any advice on do's and don'ts from here?
    Name:  IMG_20160209_104245637_HDR.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  942.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_20160209_104310347_HDR.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  661.5 KB

Re: Why did I get rid of my 1983 Casio DW-5000?

Don't try and remove the screws. Pull the new bezel over them. The Brazilian bezels are actually pretty good replacements. I have them on all my vintage stuff.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Congrats on finding your old DW-5000! Like you, my first G-Shock is also one of those.

x1000 on the advice above. Don't attempt to remove those four corner bezel screws. This goes double for the DW-5000, as the screws are a flat headed variant and finding replacements is nearly impossible. Look up watches.br on Facebook for the Brazilian bezel and band kit if you haven't already. The old bezel crumbling like it did is just part and parcel given the age of the watch. When vintage bezels get to that age, they have tensile strength roughly equal to that of a dried out chocolate bar.

From the pics, it looks like the module is a tad crooked (looks like it's slightly rotated with the right side pointing slightly upward). That's also common with these watches given the floating module design. My 5000 is the same way and it doesn't bother me at all. I wouldn't try to correct it personally due to the risk of damaging the crystal; it's one of the charms of that model. Yours looks like it's in really good shape.

Once you fit your new bezel and band, wear the heck out of it like you did before.
    Mike K and Izzy_Does_It like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I sure miss mine!
    Izzy_Does_It likes this.
    If you don't think every day is a good day, just try missing one. ~Cavett Robert

That is an incredibly nice DW-5000, I'm happy you will enjoy it again. That 240 module is my preference out of the vintage squares, I have the same type on my 5200. The Brazilian band and bezel are great, you might need to ask them to throw in a o-ring gasket, since the second time I order from them I didn't mention it and it wasn't included (first time I asked and it was thrown in at no extra cost). It might take a month to arrive, but it's well worth it! You are technically going to ask for the "DW-5600C silver band and bezel set", it's interchangeable/compatible with the 5000.

Not going to lie, I'm pretty envious of how nice of a watch you'll soon have on your wrist! :)
    solar g-shocker and gdixon like this.

gdixon. Welcome to the forum.

And what an amazing first post!
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

Welcome aboard!

Definitely would like to see some pics when you get it outfitted.
    Izzy_Does_It and gdixon like this.

OP: That looks very clean. Very lucky find! And: Don't throw it against the wall any more!
    Izzy_Does_It, Mike K and gdixon like this.

Thanks, yes it is crooked. I asked the guy who put the battery in to check it but he didn't seem to know what to do about it. I'm really excited to get it wearable again. Its like Christmas again!
    Izzy_Does_It likes this.

Thanks, good advice about the o-ring. I am really excited to have that watch. The stories it could tell!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information