Why did YOU choose a specific model of G-shock?
Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By jdt4
  • 1 Post By Time4Playnow
  • 3 Post By Mike K
  • 2 Post By Ottovonn
  • 1 Post By Kev55

Thread: Why did YOU choose a specific model of G-shock?

Why did YOU choose a specific model of G-shock?

I recently purchased my first G, a DW-5600e and I love it. I am interested in what lead other people in their decision to buy a specific model G-Shock.

Name:  Casio-DW5600E-1V-Mens-G-Shock-Specification.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  64.7 KB(picture borrowed from google images)

I liked the DW-5600e for it's smaller size and retro design. It has all the basic features I need, and shows the time in all the modes. For the money it couldn't be beat. I figured the EL backlight would be brighter than on the solar models, and more cost effective. Assuming that the battery costs as much as $5 and that I go through one battery a year, I could afford to change the battery 12 times before I start getting close to the price solar models I saw online. Being able to sync to atomic time was an attractive feature until I wondered whether I actually really NEEDED it. I can sync the watch to atomic time myself whenever I feel like it, and the quartz accuracy wouldn't be off by more than 30 seconds in a given month (at most).

So far it hasn't come off my wrist. I'm loving this watch and can't believe I never gave these watches a chance until now. Now let's hear why YOU chose your model (if you have lots, choose the one you wear the most).

- J
    James142 and Ottovonn like this.

Re: Why did YOU choose a specific model of G-shock?

I have many Gs, but I buy any particular one mainly for a combo of its features and styling/color. In truth, the color and how it looks and feels has a BIG influence on what I buy, along with the overall features and technology in the watch.

Here are two of my recent pickups, each with a very different look from the other:

jdt4 likes this.

Usually comes down to looks but also features/ technology. Now that I've got a few g's I try to make future purchases as different as possible to previous ones.

A recent purchase

I chose it because I didn't have one with negative display or one with tide/ moon phase.
    Last edited by Achal; June 18th, 2014 at 05:02.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have multiple G-Shocks as well, but what led me to my most-worn GW-6900 was a relatively long and convoluted path.

In late 2011 I first learned of Casio's solar/atomic G's and bought one of the relatively inexpensive (at the time) MTG-900 versions. I wound up not caring for the bracelet, wishing for a resin strap instead, and that led me to Watchuseek and my first posts here.

From hanging around here, I started looking at and purchasing some other relatively inexpensive solar/atomics: the GW-2310, the GW-6900, the GW-9000 and the GW-5600J.

For daily wear, I prefer the GW-6900 because it's not as flashy as the chrome accented GW-2310, and because I find it very comfortable and VERY customizable. I now have three GW-6900's on Zulu straps, with different color bezels that I switch around as the mood strikes me. I usually have one "subdued" black and/or brown one, a light and/or brightly colored "summer G" and the third scheme varies a lot!

Name:  gray orange.JPG
Views: 284
Size:  91.4 KB
    Ottovonn, nigelw and greg1491 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jdt4 View Post
    I recently purchased my first G, a DW-5600e and I love it. I am interested in what lead other people in their decision to buy a specific model G-Shock.

Name:  Casio-DW5600E-1V-Mens-G-Shock-Specification.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  64.7 KB(picture borrowed from google images)

I liked the DW-5600e for it's smaller size and retro design. It has all the basic features I need, and shows the time in all the modes. For the money it couldn't be beat. I figured the EL backlight would be brighter than on the solar models, and more cost effective. Assuming that the battery costs as much as $5 and that I go through one battery a year, I could afford to change the battery 12 times before I start getting close to the price solar models I saw online. Being able to sync to atomic time was an attractive feature until I wondered whether I actually really NEEDED it. I can sync the watch to atomic time myself whenever I feel like it, and the quartz accuracy wouldn't be off by more than 30 seconds in a given month (at most).

So far it hasn't come off my wrist. I'm loving this watch and can't believe I never gave these watches a chance until now. Now let's hear why YOU chose your model (if you have lots, choose the one you wear the most).

- J

I agree OP. I wish I wore a DW-5600e when I was younger. It's a great G-shock with arguably one of the best modules, at least for me. I find the auto repeat CDT and time in every mode very useful. I have it on a 5000 strap; the lightweight and supple strap edge the GW-5000 in comfort. Because of its comfort, it's worn often to the gym.

Chose the similar model, the GW-5000 for similar reasons. I was drawn to the retro 80's look. Never bought a G-shock before then. I was also a little disappointed when I received it; it sat in its box ready to get sold for about a week. Gradually warmed up to it and now it's my favorite watch.
    navjing0614 and greg1491 like this.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

recently the GD-X6900 series gave me the chance to wear a 6900 in reasonable comfort. My 8 1/4" wrist sees the standard 6900 on the second last hole with the keeper barely holding - the GD-X has room to spare.
    Piowa likes this.

Thread Information