Why do casio wrist bands break so easily over time?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Why do casio wrist bands break so easily over time?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hello, I'm new here... didn't know there was a watch forum this popular. I hope that other casio watches get some love here not just g-shock...

So I've been using casio watches since I can remember. I've always had a fascination for them especially when I was younger and there were casio watches with special features, I would always look for that new watch that did something different... be it the casio game watches, the one that recorded like 30 sec memos, the moonphase one,tv remote one, or calculator/thermometer watches.

Anyways since probably around middle school I've been sticking to g-shocks, probably 1 per 1-2 years. I normally do not wear them out but just get tired of them. I can't leave the house without my watch on though, I get the feeling that i'm naked or that something is missing .

I have to admit that I have "cheated" throughout the years on casio , I have respect for timex for always being affordable and reliable, and I loved the data-link watches when they came out. I also like some fossil watches, but 90% of the watches that I have purchased over the years are casio.

Anyways, I have a question about something that's been bothering me... For some reason, the wristbands on my older casio watches are breaking stupidly easy, almost as if they were made out of bread... it bothers me cause I always took decent care of them and thought they would be cool to collect them. Only my g-shocks from the past 10 years appear to be ok, however one wave ceptor I bought in 2005 seems to be starting to go through the same phase, the band starts whitening and then it breaks.

What bothers me is that I have older no name brand cheap ass watches and the bands appear to be as strong as ever... Obviously the metal ones are not a problem.

Is there a way to prevent this? What causes this type of degradation? I have always kept the watches in a drawer in decent temps without any humidity...

Also, it seems to me that casio has stopped "innovating" or just halted at a comfort zone... I feel that with today's tech, they could create some really cool watches. It doesn't bother me that much but I miss seeing casio watches with quirky new features...

Oh well, that's it I guess... Here's a pic of some of the newer g-shocks I have, and a pic from my old and beloved triple sensor watch. As you can see the wrist band is broken and is sticky on some parts...

Cheers!

Re: Why do casio wrist bands break so easily over time?

A few reasons. IIRC rubber has some degree of organic components in it and they break down over time. Also anything wet but especially sweat really aids in the breakdown of rubbers. Synthetic bands are more comfortable but break down faster. So time will eventually claim a rubber band no matter what. Luckily you can buy many replacement bands or at the very worst case try to find a modern casio band with the same or similar width and adapt it to the watch. On the other hand Metal bands are uncomfortable (pulling arm hair, ouch!) but generally more durable. It's a trade off either way.

If anyone else has additional/conflicting info feel free to chime in.

"What bothers me is that I have older no name brand cheap ass watches and the bands appear to be as strong as ever"

Yeah, I had several Casio (Non G- Shocks) straps break after a few years, while a friend's no name digital watch strap is doing fine after ten (!!) years of non stop wearing. (incl 5 years heavy construction, showering, he never takes it off)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Welcome to the forum!

I don't have bands that are old enough to crumble (yet) but I'm guessing it must the older resin formulation used by Casio. My hope is the new ones will be a lot more lasting, (or my wife will sure have a field day rubbing it in... 'indestructible you say?') :D

Check out the recent Bluetooth G-shocks and the Sky Cockpit series, those are some technological step ups there. Though I wish Casio will be more disruptive and aggressively merge smartphone innovations into the watch... touch interface, battery tech, high res screens, comm chips, maybe even apps, etc.

----

Quote Originally Posted by GS_Leng View Post
    Though I wish Casio will be more disruptive and aggressively merge smartphone innovations into the watch... touch interface, battery tech, high res screens, comm chips, maybe even apps, etc.

----
    I agree... Have you seen the rooted moto actv? It's amazing... Blood & Glory and other games on a Motoactv Android Watch - YouTube I'm still stunned at the watch's ability to run all that stuff.... I mean, its a watch for crying out loud. There's another video of it running GTA 3.

Obviously that watch was not designed for that... so its clunky, but I couldn't imagine how well would one do if it was specifically designed for that.

lvt

I have the band on a non G that breaks after 2 years, I wore it regularly for jogging because it has laps counter, maybe the sweat from my wrist damaged the band.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Well, I have a different theory. I don't think it is sweat. I think it is a combination of heat, age, and use.

Heat: causes the elastomers to come out of the resin. It loses flexibility because it hasn't got elastomers left. Age causes this too, heat is an artificial way to age them.

Use: When I watch people strap on watches, almost without fail, the pull the tail of the strap backwards against the buckle; once when putting it on, once when taking it off. Bending it forcefully at such a sharp angle is not good. Instead of doing that, try this: grab the tail of the strap with your ring and middle fingers. Use your thumb and index finger to push the buckle away, rather than pulling the strap at the odd angle. This way, you're not trying to kink the strap each time, and it will last longer.

Evidence? I bought my DW5600E G-Shock in the 90s some time, and wore it as my only watch for year after year. At least 6 years straight. The only problem I had was that the strap keeper eventually broke. I found a cheap one to replace it with, that was ill-fitting. But the strap was in great shape the whole time I had the watch. I finally gave it away last Christmas, because I had stopped wearing it in favor of other watches. (mistake)

I go on Amazon and read those reviews. Some reviewers says they last forever without any problems. Others say the strap breaks every couple years. People are somehow treating them differently. Some are abusing the straps more, and not knowing it. By bending it, leaving it in the heat, or something.

Maybe I'm wrong, and it is just the difference in different people's sweat? Maybe some people just have some chemical that causes things to break down?

Regarding my earlier comments on baking the elastomer out of things: This is what happens to car dash boards. Have you ever seen an old car with a cracked dashboard? The sun has baked the elastomers out of that vinyl, rubber, or whatever, until it was super-brittle. So it cracks.

Anyway, if you're sure it is none of the things I mentioned above, I think you just have to limit yourself to those Casios with GOOD bracelets. (they are out there, just not in the under $30 range.)

This new model MTGM900DA-8 strikes my fancy, as they have replaced the (useless) Time Memo feature with a countdown timer. It is 6-band atomic, solar, has a presumably good bracelet, etc.

This WVA-470 of mine also has a fantastic bracelet. Solid links, great integration, no hair-pulling. It's about a $100 watch.

laskavy likes this.
    -Jeremy
    6-3/4" (171 mm) wrist

Quote Originally Posted by Smaug View Post
    Use: When I watch people strap on watches, almost without fail, the pull the tail of the strap backwards against the buckle; once when putting it on, once when taking it off. Bending it forcefully at such a sharp angle is not good. Instead of doing that, try this: grab the tail of the strap with your ring and middle fingers. Use your thumb and index finger to push the buckle away, rather than pulling the strap at the odd angle. This way, you're not trying to kink the strap each time, and it will last longer.
    I agree -- of all my older watches whose rubber/resin straps broke, the cracks and/or breaks were at or near the point where I buckled them! By doing much the same as you describe and not "kinking" the strap putting them on and off, I've gotten over 10 years worth of wear out of my first DW-5600 on its original strap.

One other thing that nobody seems to have mentioned so far is UV exposure from the sun's rays which can also damage rubbers and plastics. They make UV blocking sprays for rubber and plastic parts for automobiles, and I've been tempted to use some on a G Shock strap and bezel but haven't tried it yet.

This new model MTGM900DA-8
    Quote Originally Posted by Smaug View Post
    strikes my fancy, as they have replaced the (useless) Time Memo feature with a countdown timer. It is 6-band atomic, solar, has a presumably good bracelet, etc.
    "Oh!" and thanks! I didn't know that there was a new, upgraded version of this one. With the countdown timer and (presumably) newer and better 6-band module, I may have to consider buying this new version of my currently least worn, least loved G!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    "Oh!" and thanks! I didn't know that there was a new, upgraded version of this one. With the countdown timer and (presumably) newer and better 6-band module, I may have to consider buying this new version of my currently least worn, least loved G!
    You may also want to check out the MTG-M900BD-1 or -2, unless you don't like negative displays or IP bracelets.

I wonder if anyone has any observation on whether it is dry or humid climate that causes more destruction. Or perhaps it is the quick transition from humid to dry climate? Either way, perhaps occasional treatment with Mineral Oil or another oil could keep the band hydrated and supple. I doubt it could hurt anything, could it? Any thoughts?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information