Why do some watch collectors look down on G's?

Thread: Why do some watch collectors look down on G's?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Why do some watch collectors look down on G's?

I recently posted on another forum, which will remain unnamed here, about how much I liked my new G's (a GW1210 and a Giez GS1000). And a few people were downright mean, saying "nope, too ugly for me." Or "it ain't a watch if it don't have a beating heart."

I just want to thank Sjors for providing a place for us "degenerates" to hang out and talk about our "ugly, not-watches." And why I'll be visiting here more than some of my forumer forum haunts.

Dude, without an open mind, we will never learn new things, explore new worlds, or grow intellectually.
    Stuck in landlocked Atlanta.
    My divers:
    Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon White "Mad Cow"
    Doxa Sub750T Caribbean
    Stowa Seatime ProDiver (Black)
    Seikos: 6105, 6309, 7002, 7S26, and 6R15 Divers
    G Shocks: DW5600, DW6100, DW6600, DW9000, G9000 Mudman, G9100 Gulfman, MTG900, GW200 Frogman, GS1000 Giez and a dozen more!

Re: Why do some watch collectors look down on G's?

They are your watches not theirs. You bought them with your own money not theirs.Be comfortable in your own skin. Ignore those comments. A true watch connossieur(is this the right spelling?) appreciates all kinds IMO. You will be alright. Take care.

Mel

Wow, I just register and there's already a great topic to which I want to reply.

I think there is no small amount of snobbery among watch collectors. If it is inexpensive and accessible to the "common person", then it just can't be good.

I can understand the appeal of mechanical watches and looking at them as investments, but don't like how differences in taste are not tolerated by some luxury or vintage watch collectors. I got my first G-Shock in July and my second last Saturday. Personally, I think they are tremendous value and love them.

And if it can be carried in one's pocket or worn on the wrist and it tells time, then it is a watch. A digital music file doesn't have as much soul as a vinyl record, but you also don't have to worry about getting it scratched. A G-Shock has pretty much the same advantage over a vintage Omega

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Welcome to the G World my friend!!!

Great response... I dont mind that some people dont get them... I agree with Mel. Hey, cool enough for Sjors cool enough for me! LOL...

I just dont like rude people that get snobby about it. If you showed me a watch I didnt like I would find SOMETHING nice to say about it... "Hey, nice clasp".... "Wow those are some distinct hands" ... LOL.. but I woudl never jsut say someones stuff was ugly... thats rude.
    Suunto... Replacing Luck!

I wonder how many really do look down on them. I know some people think they're ugly watches, but I think there's a difference between not wanting one and looking down on them. I've been surprised by how many 'serious' watch collectors either own a G-Shock, or at least praise them for what they are.
    "The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is." C S Lewis

This is an interesting thread in another forum which is normally quite "non-digital", and although there were some detractors, I was impressed by how open minded they were in general. http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33092

As fascinated as I have been over the last 5 or 6 years by automatic watches, nothing amazes me more than a little solar creature that updates from the atomic clock every night
    "Strength equals health; one cannot be healthy without being strong."-Eugene Sandow

If somebody has invested a thousand dollars on a very nicely crafted automatic timepiece, it can be a little annoying to know that the lowly $50.00 G-Shock is far tougher and far more accurate.

But I will agree, that after handling an expensive Omega or the equivalent, a G-Shock can look far less beautiful in terms of aesthetics. A G-Shock has a very purposeful and direct aesthetic, with strong lines, but the subtle intricacies in craftsmanship are simply not there. That's the difference between a tool and a piece of nice jewelry.

I like things that work ..... G-Shocks work, are durable, provide good value for the money, have something for (most) everyone. I think most of them look pretty nice too. Do not be angry with the snobs. Pity the snobs, be they watch snobs, car snobs, food snobs, wine snobs, whatever snobs ..... pity them for they are missing out on many of the pleasures that life has to offer with their narrow minds.

mike
    Last edited by mike_123850; August 28th, 2007 at 02:30.

I collect rather expensive vintage divers but if I were to really need a watch in a tough situation it would be a G-Shock. I definitely see a difference, but Casio makes a quality product, and I own one and will have another at sometime.

I would not let others rent any space in my head. Buy what you like and who cares what anyone else thinks.
    2DARK Hardwood Watch Boxes are the real deal

There is something very nice about the idea of mechanical watches and the precision that goes into making them, but on a functional level they are virtually obsolete. I think some of the collectors feel threatened by any comparison with "mass market" watches. For some reason, they can't just accept that their watches are just -for all intents and purposes- pieces of art, they are not the pinnacle of timekeeping functionality, far from it. Live with it.

Luke

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information