Why does'nt Casio make automatic watches?
Like Tree124Likes

Thread: Why does'nt Casio make automatic watches?

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Banned

Why does'nt Casio make automatic watches?

Sorry if this as been asked before, but I was woundering why Casio never makes automatic watches. If you think about it most of their watches are rated to at least 200m. I think they should do some of their models in a limited production in an automatic and make some watches water resistant to 300m.

Re: Why does'nt Casio make automatic watches?

automatic = more moving parts, higher chances of it breaking...

why'd you want automatic when you have Tough Solar?

and the 200m thing is not really 200m, if not mistaken some diver brought a frogman all the way down 300+ metres on a record dive, can't really remember his name though...

200m is just a rating the manufacture is willing to subject it to, it does not really mean it can only take up to 200m...

i remember there was a thread which had a write-up on water resistance, can't remember where is it now though...
    eahm and acadian like this.

For the same reason why Omega does not make digitalm shock resistant watches... it's just not their game...
    eahm and acadian like this.
    "Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" - Rocky Balboa, Rocky II, 1979

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by duke4c View Post
    For the same reason why Omega does not make digitalm shock resistant watches... it's just not their game...
    I agree with this, although I'd love to see an automatic Oceanus one of these days. It would be interesting to see what Casio could do with an automatic movement if made in-house. But yes, they will probably just stick to quartz and doing it well
    Simon

WTB - More wrists

The purpose of a watch is to keep accurate time. You cannot get more accurate than a quartz watch. A quartz watch is accurate to within 15 seconds/month. Add in waveceptor, and you're good to about .5secs/day at WORST on any day.

Automatic watches are good to about 15 seconds/DAY.

Casio is a tech company...I can't see them going backwards and moving towards an aesthetically pleasing line that is about 30 times less accurate than their line from 25 years ago.
    ---
    Current Wants:
    Looking for a new Grail.

That's a good question, actually...

The answer is historical, I guess. Casio is an electronics company that came to watchmaking late. Seiko, Citizen and Orient were long-established. To join them in the manufacture of mechanical movements, Casio would have had to start from scratch, or acquire movements from competitors.

It was also an era when quartz was king, so there would have been no reason for Casio to go down that route, even if they could have made it pay - which they probably couldn't.

At this point their role is fixed, I should think - number three to Citizen and Seiko, and exclusively quartz. They seem to be attempting to get into the higher profit sectors, but I'm really not sure how many people around the world are going to pay relatively big money for a Casio. It could take a generation before they're truly accepted as anything other than a low-cost brand.
    HereComesTheBOOM likes this.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Nobody would buy a mechanical Casio. People who buy automatics buy them for brand prestige. For them, a watch is more a peice of jewelry than it is a timepiece. That's why people are willing to spend loads more money on swiss made mechanicals when japanese autos are just as accurate and reliable. Beyond the coolness of sweeping second hands and watching the gears work with skeletons and watches with crystal casebacks autos are not that great.

In my opinion, Solar Atomic > Quartz > Auto
    Davidka, Dan T. and Ziptie like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dood View Post
    People who buy automatics buy them for brand prestige. For them, a watch is more a peice of jewelry than it is a timepiece.
    Too sweeping, I think. And plastic watches are jewellery too.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Casio producing auto's would be like Toyota producing luxury sport cars, they're not even in the same ballpark and you have to understand that before anything.

Just a concept, admittedly -

brandon\ likes this.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information