Why don't Casio engineers make minor improvements to the modules?
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Why don't Casio engineers make minor improvements to the modules?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Why don't Casio engineers make minor improvements to the modules?

I love my G-shock (Riseman) but there are a few bugs that would be so simple for Casio to introduce into their modules but they never seem to bother updating user friendlyness?!

1. Date - can only be in the year/month/day format - I know much of the world uses this but a huge part of the world also prefers DD/MM/YY - most cheap digis allow this to be set up.

2. Turning the snooze alarm off - you have to be in a certain mode and press a certain button...why on earth can't they just make it so you just hold any button down for a couple of secs and it stops the thing?

3. Time signal - I really find it useful to have this on in the day but don't want it beeping all night - would be really simple to have a setting screen where you could say have it start at 8am and stop at 11pm.

4. Sorry, another one...this is Riseman specific but why does the watch only stay on barometer mode for a few mins? It will sit in altimeter mode without returning to the main screen.

Just to repeat again, I love my G but Casio could do so much with these watches that really would not require much more than a bit of brainstorming and software updating.

Oh well, here's hoping!
    Last edited by Max...; September 27th, 2012 at 17:47.
    l_cypher and jason_recliner like this.

Re: Why don't Casio engineers make minor improvements to the modules?

Preaching to the choir, my friend. I also wonder at the apparent randomness of the features they select for a particular module.

LUW

Quote Originally Posted by Robbi Laurenson View Post
    I also wonder at the apparent randomness of the features they select for a particular module.
    I bet they use a 12-sided dice, that would explain their choices.
    Mattias and Robbi Laurenson like this.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

#1 and #3 is already taken care of in the G-7800 on which you can modify the date format and program the hourly chime. The hourly chime can also be set for a certain time on the G-7700/7710.

Cheers, Sedi

I can only think of 1 thing that could make my Risman perfect in my eyes - a CDT settable to the second. Oh, and maybe another, longer option for the EL.

#1 would be nice too, but not a biggie for me.
    Last edited by Coolio*; September 27th, 2012 at 20:42.

Xar

Good point. Also, every model (not just a few) should display the time in every single mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Xar View Post
    Good point. Also, every model (not just a few) should display the time in every single mode.
    Absolutely! Home time in every mode is one of most desirable "features". I think the more advanced/expensive models should ALL have home time in all modes, 1 sec. settable CDT's, WT, and the at least the standard 1/100sec. 24hr STW. I mean the "lower/cheaper" basic models like my DW5600 and DW6900 have 1 sec. settable CDT's and home time in STW and CDT modes. All the Mudman, Riseman, Gulfman, Frogman, GX56, etc. which I consider upgrade models should have the features I mentioned above. Upgrade features should be things like STW2, 1/1000sec. STW, 1000hr STW, 1000hr CDT, Multi-Time, Solar, Atomic, etc.

I find it silly that Casio dumbs down the timing features for solar and atomic like on the 7900 series. IMO, the GR7900 andGW7900 should have the exact same features as the G7900 but with solar and solar/atomic respectively.

Because they don't need to. As stated in many threads, we are a small minority of g-shock buyers. If they spend money to improve their modules, will they make money on their investment?
    However, as a member of this forum, why can't they have the current time displayed in all modes?

Quote Originally Posted by jtaka1 View Post
    Because they don't need to. As stated in many threads, we are a small minority of g-shock buyers. If they spend money to improve their modules, will they make money on their investment?
    However, as a member of this forum, why can't they have the current time displayed in all modes?
    The thing is, they already have the features I mentioned above like 1sec. settable CDT and home time in all/most modes in existing modules. The "engineering" and programing is already done. I don't think it would cost much or at all to implement the features and possibly even be cost-advantageous to slim down the number of different modules they offer a bit.

It doesn't make much sense on the face of it. I wonder if the practice became ingrained of saving cost wherever possible by reducing memory requirements etc. in the 80's and that there's this weird false economy now restricting a feature set. Other than that I can't imagine why there would this degree of proliferation of features. It's almost like they have modular reuse of components, but restrictions in how they can be assembled. I dunno, it's baffling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolio* View Post
    The thing is, they already have the features I mentioned above like 1sec. settable CDT and home time in all/most modes in existing modules. The "engineering" and programing is already done. I don't think it would cost much or at all to implement the features and possibly even be cost-advantageous to slim down the number of different modules they offer a bit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information