Why is the Frogman so popular?
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Why is the Frogman so popular?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Why is the Frogman so popular?

Why is the Frogman so popular? Sure, they're the only ones that are 'officially' approved for diving, but my other G-shocks don't have trouble with that either. Am I missing important features (like a full-fledged diving computer integrated?)

So why pay extra? Can anyone enlighten me?

D

Re: Why is the Frogman so popular?

Quote Originally Posted by ChooseDennis View Post
    Why is the Frogman so popular? Sure, they're the only ones that are 'officially' approved for diving, but my other G-shocks don't have trouble with that either. Am I missing important features (like a full-fledged diving computer integrated?)
    Due to lack of knowledge with regard to dive computers I can't say so with ultimate knowledge, but from what I've gathered here the Frogman only has rudimentary dive features.

The Frogman module is otherwise pretty dated and basic as well when it comes to functions.

The primary reason for its popularity seems to be the (probably only perceived) better build quality (titanium and Japan-made), the screwback construction, its general scarcity and large size.

Personally, any screwback fits the bill if I'm looking for a non-backplate model. And those various limited edition DW-5000 reissues were quite easily and affordably available last year with the supplies apparently starting to dry up now.

D
    The one thing that comes to mind is collectibility. It's a chicken-and-egg argument i.e. is it collectible because people pay a premium for it, or do they pay the price because it's collectible, but ultimately it hasn't stopped many G-Shock owners from feeling so strongly about it, especially now that the new atomic variant will be coming out.

The first Frogman was already quite pricey with the titanium screwback case, and while the basic features didn't change (except maybe for Tough Solar power so far), it probably became even more desirable when Casio began to introduce several aesthetic variations. Personally I don't care for the entire Frogman line save for one, since the asymmetrical design hardly appeals to me and I don't do any diving.

Bottom line is, there are better choices than a Frogman when it comes to technical diving features, but I don't think any diving-related instrument comes in such a wide array of colors and themes, some more limited than others.
    DW-9051/2
    G-9200 Riseman
    G-9100 Gulfman
    G-9000MC-8D Mudman
    GW5600J
    GA-100A-9A

Sucks to be without a G.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

D
    Because they're lovely

They dont have particularly great features. They're solar, but not atomic - yet.
    They have a 'Dive Timer' that is basically a fancy stopwatch. Its actually a great feature and I wish it was on more Gs.
    They have a titanium case and back which is unique amongst Gs. Also a screwback.

Have you ever held or wore one? For me, the size, heft and strap make them desirable. They use a different (softer) polyurethane than most Gs.
    They also stand out quite a bit and the different editions make them collectable.

There has to be a half-dozen threads on this already. I think the subject is exhausted. Some like them some don't. Would seem there are more that do or they'd not sell for the prices they go for.
    -Nate
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
    -Albert Einstein

Banned

The Frogman is a superior dive watch, there is no mechanical diver that can match its features! Does that sound crazy? It isn't but it is not a dive computer just a dive watch.

A dive computer will do all of the work for you, most have water contacts so you don't have to remember to set or start them, I am a recent convert to the computer and digital world and i have switched all of my watches to digital to "reset" my brain, at first it was tough using a dive computer and analog watches because i had an analog brain in a digital world but just like I rejected GPS for a long time i also rejected the whole dive computer thing, now I know what a mistake that was, with GPS i can enjoy the drive more and with the Computer i can enjoy the dive more.
    This is turning out to be very long, sorry.
    Now let me explain why i believe the Frogman is superior to any other dive watch; a mechanical diver can only perform one or two functions, a watch with a rotating bezel can be set to show elapsed time, hit the water at 0707 you set the pointer at 7 and off you go, you have to remember your tables for your depth {all "dive" watch have this limitation, with a computer it will display the remaining dive time based on the algorithm used.. If you chose to dive with a chronograph you can time two events such as dive time and a safety stop, if you need to, there is a chance that the bezel can get bumped out of place which will shorten the dive time. With the Frog you have a dive timer which you have to start, like setting the bezel but it has a delay so you must hold the button for a few seconds to start it, you also have to hold it a few seconds to stop it so unlike the bezel getting bumped or the standard stop watch function you have a few seconds to realize you must want to do what you are doing, unlike a chrono the buttons are somewhat protected and hard to push so mistakes are minimized. So with the frog you can start the dive time on decent, you also have a few stop watches to use if you want to track the time on the actual bottom or performing some task, the count down timer is perfect for a safety stop timer as you set it for the stop time expected and start it up, enjoy the view or keep your eye on other divers without having to think about the time, very nice. when you hit topside you can stop the timer, it will still hold the original start time so you can easily calculate the surface interval, with the analog you have to hit the log book right away to record the time and the down time.

So now you know why I think it's a great dive watch! For all of those reasons and the fact that it is a cool looking watch that has a great build quality which shows through the outer skin and truly projects its "tool" status better than any other watch i've used!

In the water I'll stick to the two dive computers i use, the SOL

and the Suunto D4 back up

The frog goes along as a back up back up.
    these are just my opinions but i have used just about every watch out there from Rolex to Panerai, the frog is all i have for a dive watch now and in my opinion it beats them all! for the cost of a service on one of those inferior divers i can buy a new frog {well maybe not with the new price frog..
    sehsuan and ElectricDan like this.

Great stuff lex ^^^

I can't offer anything as exciting as that - I'm a deep sea skiver rather than diver - but I love the Frogman design.
    Take a look at the caseback of the GW-200BC Black Helios

Quote Originally Posted by lexvil View Post
    The Frogman is a superior dive watch, there is no mechanical diver that can match its features! Does that sound crazy? It isn't but it is not a dive computer just a dive watch.

A dive computer will do all of the work for you, most have water contacts so you don't have to remember to set or start them, I am a recent convert to the computer and digital world and i have switched all of my watches to digital to "reset" my brain, at first it was tough using a dive computer and analog watches because i had an analog brain in a digital world but just like I rejected GPS for a long time i also rejected the whole dive computer thing, now I know what a mistake that was, with GPS i can enjoy the drive more and with the Computer i can enjoy the dive more.
    This is turning out to be very long, sorry.
    Now let me explain why i believe the Frogman is superior to any other dive watch; a mechanical diver can only perform one or two functions, a watch with a rotating bezel can be set to show elapsed time, hit the water at 0707 you set the pointer at 7 and off you go, you have to remember your tables for your depth {all "dive" watch have this limitation, with a computer it will display the remaining dive time based on the algorithm used.. If you chose to dive with a chronograph you can time two events such as dive time and a safety stop, if you need to, there is a chance that the bezel can get bumped out of place which will shorten the dive time. With the Frog you have a dive timer which you have to start, like setting the bezel but it has a delay so you must hold the button for a few seconds to start it, you also have to hold it a few seconds to stop it so unlike the bezel getting bumped or the standard stop watch function you have a few seconds to realize you must want to do what you are doing, unlike a chrono the buttons are somewhat protected and hard to push so mistakes are minimized. So with the frog you can start the dive time on decent, you also have a few stop watches to use if you want to track the time on the actual bottom or performing some task, the count down timer is perfect for a safety stop timer as you set it for the stop time expected and start it up, enjoy the view or keep your eye on other divers without having to think about the time, very nice. when you hit topside you can stop the timer, it will still hold the original start time so you can easily calculate the surface interval, with the analog you have to hit the log book right away to record the time and the down time.

So now you know why I think it's a great dive watch! For all of those reasons and the fact that it is a cool looking watch that has a great build quality which shows through the outer skin and truly projects its "tool" status better than any other watch i've used!

In the water I'll stick to the two dive computers i use, the SOL

and the Suunto D4 back up

The frog goes along as a back up back up.
    these are just my opinions but i have used just about every watch out there from Rolex to Panerai, the frog is all i have for a dive watch now and in my opinion it beats them all! for the cost of a service on one of those inferior divers i can buy a new frog {well maybe not with the new price frog..
    Thanks for the lengthy respons. Now I finally know what the functions are of a Frogman (on the site it only says: diving functions). Personally I use the Suunto Vyper with my Riseman (nowadays) as backup timer

D

+1, add it to FAQ!

Why I like Frogmen: Build quality, looks and feel on my wrist. Strap on one - you'll find out!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information