Why is this 'G' so unloved?
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Why is this 'G' so unloved?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Why is this 'G' so unloved?

I have always thought the DW-9200s were underrated. They are really well made with a full SS screw back case and a good module and are quite good looking as well.

I think their popularity was affected by the fact that they only ever came in jelly and they inevitably discolour and yellow with age. Never seen one without some discolouration.

I don't particular care for yellowing jelly and have never been able to work up much enthusiasm for dyed ones.

However, there WAS one 9200 issued in ordinary resin, the DW-9298 which was issued as part of the 'Lovers' series in 1998. I recently came across one on Yahoo, it was new and unused but the battery had died. As seems usual on Yahoo the dead battery seemed to put off bidders and I picked it up for its low opening price of just over $40.

It arrived recently and I changed the battery. This was quite hard as the back was stuck. However I heated the back up with some very hot water then cooled it down quickly with cold water thinking the expansion and contraction would break any adhesion. This worked and the back came off nicely. This watch is very well protected with a thick internal plastic cover in addition to the usual 'G' protection.

Everything started up and here it is.

It has a nylon and leather band. These are not my favourites as they are quite bulky but they are very comfortable and they hold the watch very well which is good for this watch because it has a bit of weight to it with its full steel case.

The bezel is hard black resin with abit of a shine to it. The black letters on the very polished case also look very good and give an impression of quality construction.

The module is quite nice. The 'eye' shows which mode you are in. It has memo mode for up to thirty records. It has five multi-function alarms which can be set by date etc etc, also hourly signal. It has a 24hr stopwatch as well as a 24hr countdown timer, which can be set to the second and which can also auto repeat. It has an auto EL light and that unusual function, Auto Display, which scrolls through all available functions. It has the auto return function, which I know a lot of members prefer.

So quite a nice featured model as well as being a fairly good looker, all wrapped up in a really good quality case. What's not to like?

However, it doesn't appear to be that popular so they can be picked up pretty cheap, which is nice for those in the know.

Mitch

Re: Why is this 'G' so unloved?

Nice catch and nice work reviving it :)

It seems in mint condition.

Have much fun with it.

Cheers

Some people appreciate them. It is basically the same case the the MRG-1, but in steel. My favorite is actually the DW-9600, which is the titanium version of this watch. It is a WCCS model. I have found the machining of that watch to be better than any other G-shock I have ever had. It is just a perfect case. At one point, I dyed the bezel black and put on a GW-5000 strap, and had a prefect little titanium screwback for less than $100. Ultimately, I sold it because I just didn't care for the look as much as the squares that I wear more frequently.

But those late 90's G-shocks, especially the steel DW-9200 and titanium DW-9600, are extremely well made and underrated.
    Chrisek likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

by my own definition of in-expensive, it gotta be under 60 bucks, but I hardly see any 9200, 9600 and 9700 under that price

thanks for the inform. gents, speacially to Kung's 9600 ! I am off to Ebay

LOLz

LUW

The nylon/faux leather (and jelly on other versions) kills this model for me.
    But it does look VERY good IMO.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

Quote Originally Posted by kung-fusion View Post
    My favorite is actually the DW-9600, which is the titanium version of this watch. It is a WCCS model. I have found the machining of that watch to be better than any other G-shock I have ever had. It is just a perfect case.

But those late 90's G-shocks, especially the steel DW-9200 and titanium DW-9600, are extremely well made and underrated.

Yes Casio certainly did not skimp when producing these cases. They are highly polished all over, even under the resin. That's why I was disappointed to find that Casio had cur corners on the GW-5000. They did not bother to finish the case on the bits normally hidden by the resin, this is a step backwards and is not the approach that should be taken on what is marketed as a premium product.

I agree about the 9600s. They are a little step up even from this with their all titanium cases. I have one actually and will probably post about it soon.

Mitch
    Chrisek likes this.

Here is the EL image. It is the Devil, which ties in with the Angels and Devils theme of the Lovers collection and also the Devil on the strap.

Mitch

I kinda like the chunky nylon strap.
    It doesn't matter how much the watch costs, it only matters if it makes your heart tick.

A rare and interesting G-Shock. Thanks for posting all these photos of it!

I think some G-Shocks are cursed by not looking very good in photos. Sometimes the impression is very different up close and in person.

This G doesn't look very macho to me, despite probably being tougher than most. The resin probably made the average person think that if they broke a couple of "plastic" retainer tabs, the whole case would fall out and render the watch unwearable.
    I almost never wear any watch other than a G-Shock. My collection is listed here-->http://watchshock.com/collection/1471/

Other watches: Invicta Sub-Aqua Venom 5733 & Coalition Forces 0225, Suunto Vector, Traser Mil-G Type 6 P6600 Celebration Edition, Luminox 3059.SAR and a few cheap Timex & Armitron

Just obtained the Bumblebee DW-9298 with the Devil EL Nice weighty screwback.

Chrisek likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information